Notices

Smartycam questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 09:28 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Smartycam questions

I recently purchased a Smartycam Rev2.1 and have it up and running well. After my first day at the track I had a couple of questions that I was hoping the pros could help me with:

1. The wind noise is pretty intense. Any smart ways to muffle or damp that? I was thinking an external mic mounted in a shielded areas might be the best option. Maybe just a piece of tape over the mic?

2. I can't seem to import any of the settings originally installed to Smartymanager for long term storage. Neither the maps nor the overlay will read and transfer over. The software is seeing the connection and I can import videos, but it never reads anything else. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Shawn
Old 06-11-2017, 09:35 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 157 Posts

Regarding #1. If you have an external mic cable then get a lapel mic from amazon. Connect it. Wrap it in a washcloth or something similar and put it under the arm rest. Also set the internal mic to min gain.

If you don't have the external mic cable then put electrical tape over the small holes. Test for the appropriate gain setting. The tape helps block the wind noise.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:44 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,006 Likes on 601 Posts

You need to use Smartymanager 2 or Race Studio 3 for that camera, not SM2.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,340 Likes on 1,895 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
I recently purchased a Smartycam Rev2.1 and have it up and running well. After my first day at the track I had a couple of questions that I was hoping the pros could help me with:

1. The wind noise is pretty intense. Any smart ways to muffle or damp that? I was thinking an external mic mounted in a shielded areas might be the best option. Maybe just a piece of tape over the mic?

2. I can't seem to import any of the settings originally installed to Smartymanager for long term storage. Neither the maps nor the overlay will read and transfer over. The software is seeing the connection and I can import videos, but it never reads anything else. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Shawn
So, best thing for audio is to get a AiM CAN cable to the camera with an external mic jack for a 3.5mm mic (anything that works for GoPro will work for this) that you source elsewhere. Turn down the internal mic and turn up the external mic and you'll be set.

Use RaceStudio 3, the camera will pop up in the lower left of the screen and you can select it, then on the top left of the screen, select the two arrows button. That will allow you to suck down the config that's in it, or build a new one.

For maps, use the track button on the top left side to manage track maps in the camera, but you may need to upgrade the firmware in the camera to do it. Just make sure there is an SD card in the camera when you do it and press the button on the camera during the firmware upgrade when prompted.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-12-2017, 12:29 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts

Thanks for all of the quick responses. I was using SmartyManager 2.0 with the unit but not having much luck importing the setup. I'm using RaceStudio 2 for my SoloDL. I see they just posted new versions of both Racestudio 2 and 3. I'll update the software and see if RS3 works better with the camera. It didn't occur to me that there would be a gain setting for the mic. That would certainly be the easiest solution.

Quick Reply: Smartycam questions