Notices

Alarms mysteriously disabled in RS3

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 08:56 AM
John In MD
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarms mysteriously disabled in RS3

Somehow several of the Events/Alarms became disabled in RS3 and on my MXS. Unfortunately, this couldn't have happened at a worse time as I experienced a failure of an oil filter adapter at the track. Of course as luck would have it, the oil pressure warnings were among those events disabled. Ended up losing all oil and spinning out in turn 1 at NJMP. Fortunately, for me and those who spun out in my oil none of us hit the wall.

Right now I have no idea why select alarms were disabled in RS3. I had been messing around with my MXS configuration, but had not altered any of the events/warnings.

When you make ANY updates to your AIM dash configurations, please double check the Shift Lights and Alarms tab in RS3 to make sure all of the alarms are still active. Looking at my logs it looks like I ran a couple of seconds with no oil pressure. Had my low oil pressure alarms been active I might have been able to get off the throttle sooner and kept me from oiling as much of the track.

Hopefully I didn't lose the engine.

At least no one was injured due to the oil spill, which is the important thing.

John
Old 05-07-2017, 10:06 AM
gobuffs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately I have experienced this issue (alarms mysteriously disappearing or being deactivated). Checking all settings after an update of race studio is pretty much a must do.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:14 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,672 Posts

I have had this happen when updating firmware.

Just like MoTeC, I pull and save the MXL2/MXS/MXG config FIRST, then perform the update, then send the config again, checking each page before closing.

The alarm disable is easily identified by triangular exclamation point status next to the channels that make up the alarm. This indicated that there is an issue associating the channel to the desired input.

If there is one, reenter the channel by selecting it again, and the alert, the triangle, will go away. It's been reported by numerous dealers and users...

I hope the OP is ok.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:06 PM
John In MD
Intermediate

I'm fine - got lucky that I didn't hit a wall or worse yet cause someone else to hit a wall. Thanks for asking. I got lucky in that it failed at NJMP. My next event was to be at Watkins Glen which isn't quite so forgiving.

If anyone has the ear of the folks at AIM, it would be nice if they could put a validity check when you hit transmit to the device to let the user know that there are alarms that have been disabled. My thought is that when you click transmit to send the device that a popup would let you know that there are disabled alarms and provide a buttons that would either have you transmit the update, or cancel so you can verify the alarms canceled should be canceled. I'd guess this would be a pretty quick/easy code change which could save folks.

Thanks!

John

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I have had this happen when updating firmware.

Just like MoTeC, I pull and save the MXL2/MXS/MXG config FIRST, then perform the update, then send the config again, checking each page before closing.

The alarm disable is easily identified by triangular exclamation point status next to the channels that make up the alarm. This indicated that there is an issue associating the channel to the desired input.

If there is one, reenter the channel by selecting it again, and the alert, the triangle, will go away. It's been reported by numerous dealers and users...

I hope the OP is ok.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:16 PM
John In MD
Intermediate

I lost the engine. Drained what little oil was left in the crankcase and have a lot of little sparkly flakes in the oil. Looks like I spun a bearing.

I dumped the logs to Excel and I was running at zero oil pressure for 6.5 seconds - all of which was on the front straight at NJMP - the straights are when you check your gauges. I'd like to think if the low oil pressure alarm was functioning I would not have kept it at full throttle all the way down the front stretch!

I am so disappointed in AIM right now. Visual warnings for low oil pressure type scenarios is why I went with the MXS. I have too much invested to switch vendors, but wow what lame software! I just don't trust it now.

Be sure to triple check your alarms before and after you transmit updates from Race Studio 3! This is going to be a very expensive learning experience for me.

John
Old 05-13-2017, 10:39 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for your warning about this. I checked this morning before I went on track and found one of my alarms disabled. It was for battery voltage under 13V, using the built-in battery channel.

I'd say there's no reason why this should be happening. We rely on the dash for warnings to save our equipment. This is not acceptable at all.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:55 AM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I called AiM this morning and spoke with Chad. He had not heard of this issue. I was able to send him a copy of the config with the alarm in the disabled state. Hopefully this can get some attention.

-j
Old 05-15-2017, 10:29 PM
John In MD
Intermediate

Thanks! I hope they can sort it out before someone else has a similar failure.

John

Originally Posted by jwasilko
I called AiM this morning and spoke with Chad. He had not heard of this issue. I was able to send him a copy of the config with the alarm in the disabled state. Hopefully this can get some attention.

-j
Old 05-19-2017, 12:27 PM
John In MD
Intermediate

The latest iteration of Race Studio 3 puts a visual indication that alarms are disabled in the Shift Lights and Alarms tab.

That was pretty quick work on their part!

John
Old 05-19-2017, 08:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by John In MD
The latest iteration of Race Studio 3 puts a visual indication that alarms are disabled in the Shift Lights and Alarms tab.

That was pretty quick work on their part!

John
Yep!

Quick Reply: Alarms mysteriously disabled in RS3