Notices

Aim Solo DL via can draining Battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 09:41 AM
Smithmotorworks
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aim Solo DL via can draining Battery

I know this has been discussed some, but I didn't find a answer ...other than disconnecting the unit each time.

I have a Aim Solo Dl and Smarty cam run via can on a 2016 gt4

The solo DL and smarty cam are turning on any time the can data excites....which seems to be if the wind blows .lol.

Changing the power to a switched source did no good as its still powered through the can line.

Has anyone found a fix for this ?

I have emailed Aim and am awaiting a answer ....
Old 02-17-2017, 11:31 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Update to the latest firmware for
the Solo DL, which allows a user set cut off time, IIRC.

The OBDII is live all the time. By law. I connect to GT4 by CAN, which is why I didn't notice it.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:04 PM
Smithmotorworks
Instructor

I have the latest firm ware update installed 46.03.24

And I have the cut off time at its lowest .....the problem is it turns itself back on.

I am also connected via CAN not through the OBD port.

I have found lots of other guys with new GT4's having the same problem....everyone (to my knowledge is just unscrewing the cables to keep it from happening.

Someone else mentioned AIM is working on a firmware/software update to fix this too?
Old 02-17-2017, 12:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Ok, I will be sure (along with others) to try and kick this up in AIM's list, but if you wire the power feed on the CAN/power connection near and at the fuse box so that the power feed is off a "key on" circuit, this will not happen.

I know this because dozens of the GT4 SDL/SCHD combinations I have sold have an add a fuse connector to incorporate this "key on" power feature. I'll post the fuse location shortly but any of the 7.5 amp (or empty next to them on the bottom row) will fix this.

Only the OBDII cars, which require power on all the time at the socket, should suffer from this problem.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Second page of this guide. Yellow arrow. https://www.dropbox.com/s/xbf2mkdi8s...Guide.pdf?dl=0

Fuse D3 for power will fix this problem for hard wired power, for all GT4.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-17-2017, 02:15 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

The origin of the problem is how the new(er) cars are using their CAN bus. The Solo DL when connected via OBDII and allowed to auto turn on/off, will wake up any time their is CAN activity, which in new cars can be pretty frequent. This wakes the DL up and causes the battery drain. This problem is not unique to the GT4, but effects many cars.

With the current DL hardware, there is no automatic fix for this. The two ways to solve this problem are either unplugging the DL or using the key to turn it off. That way it fully turns off, not just goes to sleep (to be awakened by CAN activity).

But, the CAN connection, like Peter said, is the best connection option and resolves this problem.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:43 PM
Smithmotorworks
Instructor

So to clarify .......

It is hooked up via CAN and not OBD2. It is also wired to a switched battery source (with the key on) not via the OBD2 port.

The issue is that anytime it gets a CAN signal it turns on (lights up) not recording until speed or rpm requirements are met.

Removing the power from the car altogether DOES NOT FIX THIS , The AIM solo dl has it's own INTERNAL battery source. So if wired to the CAN line and CAN sends ANY signal to the unit ...it will turn on. Of course , after 10 minutes (the min. setting) it will turn off again.

I spoke with AIM several times...and Peter too.

The only way to "fix" this is to stop the CAN signal from reaching the unit......my fix was to wire in 2 relays, one for the CAN + and one for the CAN - I used simple 4 prong relays to "break " the can lines.
When the power (key) is turned on it powers the relay which closes and completes the CAN lines, turning the unit on.

If you are only using the OBD 2 port and are just unplugging the entire unit , you will not experience this problem. I wanted to use the CAN and not have it come on randomly.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:10 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Did you try turning the unit off with the button instead of just letting it go to sleep?
Old 02-20-2017, 06:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
The two ways to solve this problem are either unplugging the DL or using the key to turn it off. That way it fully turns off, not just goes to sleep (to be awakened by CAN activity).

But, the CAN connection, like Peter said, is the best connection option and resolves this problem.
I have not had any complaints of battery drain after almost two hundred SDL/SCHD (CAN connection) sales to 987 and 981 cars alone. I HAVE had complaints from the dozen or so Gen V Vipers connected via OBDII. And your experience has been my experience, Matt. But...

Originally Posted by Smithmotorworks
So to clarify .......

It is hooked up via CAN and not OBD2. It is also wired to a switched battery source (with the key on) not via the OBD2 port.

The issue is that anytime it gets a CAN signal it turns on (lights up) not recording until speed or rpm requirements are met.

Removing the power from the car altogether DOES NOT FIX THIS , The AIM solo dl has it's own INTERNAL battery source. So if wired to the CAN line and CAN sends ANY signal to the unit ...it will turn on. Of course , after 10 minutes (the min. setting) it will turn off again.

I spoke with AIM several times...and Peter too.

The only way to "fix" this is to stop the CAN signal from reaching the unit......my fix was to wire in 2 relays, one for the CAN + and one for the CAN - I used simple 4 prong relays to "break " the can lines.
When the power (key) is turned on it powers the relay which closes and completes the CAN lines, turning the unit on.

If you are only using the OBD 2 port and are just unplugging the entire unit , you will not experience this problem. I wanted to use the CAN and not have it come on randomly.
While I understand your frustration, and appreciate the information we shared on the phone, I still have seen no instances of the SDL coming on "randomly." Open the door? Sure. Key on? Yes. But no spontaneous power ons with cars sitting for weeks and months between DE's and racing events. On CAN, without breaking the circuit...

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Did you try turning the unit off with the button instead of just letting it go to sleep?
Good question.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:13 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I've seen different cars activate the CAN for all different reasons. Physical contacts like opening the door, etc always do it, but I've had other experiences like just proximity with the key fob activate the CAN. Other cars will do it at seemingly random times for self diagnostics in my experience.

Safest is to either disconnect the Solo DL or try the hard power off with the button, not the automatic off.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:36 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I just installed a SoloDL w/ SmartyCam on a 2014 981S via CAN ECU and have the same problem. To my surprise it drained the car battery overnight.

Turning it off via the SoloDL off button doesn't keep it in the off state. Setting the SoloDL to turn off via the firmware switch function (I set it to 10 minutes) doesn't work either. I guess the CAN bus is always active and the SoloDL detects some activity and decides to turn itself on. I too installed it via a switched +12 but that doesn't fix this anomaly. I guess removing the CAN cable is the only solution at present. This was confirmed by the AIM Tech Support guy.
The following users liked this post:
NightBlueTTS (09-27-2019)
Old 09-20-2020, 12:17 AM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Sorry to bring this back from the past - but I had a quick follow up. Solo 2 DL, currently connected using OBD2.

It seems that sometime after this was discussed, Aim introduced a way to turn off the auto turn on from ECU activity in the menu. So with the auto start from ECU disabled, I can turn the unit off via the left button, and it stays off even when there’s confirmed ECU activity.

My question is, is this now a safe state to leave plugged in, or is “off” really not off? I do see one red led flashing w the unit off, which I’m guessing means the unit is charging, but in theory once it’s charged, will it stop pulling power? Or will it be a constant drain and should OBD2 connection always be unplugged at end of use to preserve battery?

Just to be clear, I’m not talking about leaving it plugged in for weeks on with the car not being driven, just overnight while I’m at the track.
The following users liked this post:
rcg412 (10-01-2021)
Old 09-20-2020, 10:54 AM
evansmj
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That "do not wake" option does not work on my 2014 981. I emailed aim a year ago but nothing, i have the same issue of the solo 2 dl soldered CAN connection turning it on when i close the door, even if i powered it off manually. I just unscrew the cable so it doesnt run down the aim battery when it randomly turns on. It is connected to a switched power fuse. It does not charge with the car off.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:22 PM
detroitm2
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I realize this is an old thread, but thought I'd chime in here.

I had this same issue on my 2018 BMW M2. I'd get a dash warning about a power drain.

I had my solo 2 DL hardwired into my canbus wires.

The solution I cam up with was to build a small 2 channel relay box that completely disconnects the canbus wires whenever the 12v power source to my aim unit was disconnected (have it in ignition power)

This worked great and maybe a solution for those of you who ran into this. If you want more info, feel free to PM me and I can give you a parts list and wiring instructions for what I built. It was essentially a small poastic project box with 2 4 terminal aviation plugs in each side. Enough for 12v positive and negative, and can high and low.

Here's a link to a post where I discussed it and some pictures of the unit I built.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25645510

Last edited by detroitm2; 09-26-2020 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:12 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

my solution was as follows: returned the Solo DL just moments before i almost threw it against the wall or before compressing it in a vice. took my money back. bought a regular dash on sale, went that route. that thing has a problem and 2 replacement warranty units which were supposed to not have those issues , well, they continued to have those issues. super irritating. thing woudl drain the dash and the car, never a good thing.

Quick Reply: Aim Solo DL via can draining Battery