Next step AFTER Harry's

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 02:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,340 Likes on 1,895 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Actualy it does look promising as a potential SmartycamHD replacement since aim can't do the real integrated video yet. But I wouldn't want to fiddle with setting it up each time for a new track. I love the systems that know where they are and work automagically. If you could preload start//finish coordinates and it could pick the right one on its own it would be very interesting.
Ok, you know Waylens only adds the metrics after the fact in the software, right? Not like the SmartyCam that writes the metrics TO the video, real-time?

The AiM and the Racelogic VBOX have start/finish lines pre-programmed and are completely automatic, in that regard.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-20-2017, 05:12 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Ok, you know Waylens only adds the metrics after the fact in the software, right? Not like the SmartyCam that writes the metrics TO the video, real-time?

The AiM and the Racelogic VBOX have start/finish lines pre-programmed and are completely automatic, in that regard.
OK, I'm back to no cigar. Thanks Peter!
Old 07-04-2017, 04:10 PM
Marc
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marc, the latest Waylens firmware update adds lap timing and start/finish coordinates!

I will use them this coming week at David Murry/PCA Club Race at my home track, VIR, and report back.
Hi Peter,

Please tell us about your experience with the Waylens after your runs.

Thank you
Old 08-07-2017, 10:19 AM
rookie1
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW: Has anyone had more extensive experience with Race Navigator RN ONE solution and how it compares to AIM, etc?
http://www.race-navigator.com/en/

It's getting more and more popular here in Europe.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:06 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by rookie1
BTW: Has anyone had more extensive experience with Race Navigator RN ONE solution and how it compares to AIM, etc?
http://www.race-navigator.com/en/

It's getting more and more popular here in Europe.
RN is cool. The first system to be native iOS compatible. Ease of use is quite good.

The awkward form factor and the extreme expense (more expensive than the VBOX HD2 in the US, nearly twice as much as the Solo DL/SCHD combo) has been a big stumbling block.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:35 AM
rookie1
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts

RN is cool. The first system to be native iOS compatible. Ease of use is quite good.

The awkward form factor and the extreme expense (more expensive than the VBOX HD2 in the US, nearly twice as much as the Solo DL/SCHD combo) has been a big stumbling block.
Yeah it is quite expensive.
I experienced it only once earlier this year because my coach used it and i was very impressed with the easy wireless data transfer from the car to his iPad and the easy side by side data comparison incl. video on the iPad then.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:30 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

I've had a chance to play with an older RN system last year and now this year the RN One.

The biggest problem is that you have to have an iPad to do anything other than look at the in-unit screen so far as I can tell. For "later review" you are in good shape if the RN One unit is yours and you have it handy with your iPad. If you don't, I have files from a euro trip this summer but I don't own a RN one, it's a total PITA because moving files to the iPad and getting the software to see them is absurdly hard.

Caveat emptor: this is the view of a guy who uses an iPhone happily enough but I'm a winderz guy mostly...not am iOS Mac person generally.

Past those issues though, the RN One is super easy to do fast video review in-car...you can pull into the pits and be looking at the video before you even unbuckle if you want.

The one thing I wish they'd do is make the interior facing camera pointable though...you have a job to get the out-the-window view centered and still get enough view inside the car to see the driver's eye and hands...nice view of the co-driver though
Old 08-24-2017, 12:42 PM
SamG
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Had my Waylens unit at Laguna Seca this week and had no success with it's preloaded track feature. Updated firmware in it last week which according to Waylen's almost none-existent instructions should have added this feature. There was no way to check to see if the track maps were loaded prior to going that I could find.

Very frustrating that they cannot take the time to write more than a sentence or two on their forum to give instructions on new features. New icons show up on the unit's display with no explanation of what they are for.

Sad. Lots of potential but little or no support.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:06 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been thinking about this for a while... Harry's just isn't cutting it for me anymore... my 996 seems less "Harry's Friendly" than my 997 was....

That said - I've been thinking that the Aim system with an Aim dash would be a fun addition...
Old 09-29-2017, 09:22 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Blue Chip
I've been thinking about this for a while... Harry's just isn't cutting it for me anymore... my 996 seems less "Harry's Friendly" than my 997 was....

That said - I've been thinking that the Aim system with an Aim dash would be a fun.
AiM's display logger line (MXL2/MXS/MXG) combines the logger and display in one integrated unit. You can get a few measures over the ECU feed and the rest with sensors. If you want integrated, intelligent video (video recorded with real-time metrics from the AiM Display/Logger), that's easily added. Simple, automated and reliable investment in your skill improvement review! I have a special on the MXL2 for RLers. PM me or better yet, email me.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:13 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,006 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Chip

That said - I've been thinking that the Aim system with an Aim dash would be a fun addition...
If you're car is primarily a street car, the Evo4s (or Evo5) with the GS Dash is a good systems as well. I have a simple way that you can mount the recorder and then have the display removable for when you're using your car on the street.

If it's a full time track car, then the MXL2/MXS/MXG are great options for full recording displays.

Let me know if I can help you out. I have everything you would need in stock, ready to ship.

Quick Reply: Next step AFTER Harry's