Notices

AiM String Pot Steering Angle Sensor Setup and Configuration

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 10:22 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 899 Likes on 438 Posts

With the 893 mV resolution I have for 360 degrees of rotation, I have .40 degrees of rotation per mV. I would think that should be plenty of resolution for this application.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Thanks, Matt.

Sorry, Scott. I learned something new, thanks to your issue.

I have always used and installed sensors on the shaft immediately behind the dash before angular change OR used a linear pot on the rack, on the axis of the rack.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-03-2016, 12:00 AM
winders
Race Car

In an air-cooled 911, there is virtually no real option to to access the shaft the steering wheel is attached to. In fact, there is no easy way to access any shaft other than the one I am using. There is no simple way to attach a sensor to the air-cooled 911 steering rack either. The space is tight and access is limited.

After examining my options, it would appear the only practical thing to do is live with what I have now.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:01 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by winders

After examining my options, it would appear the only practical thing to do is live with what I have now.
I think with the custom sensor as you did, you will be fine. You'll get good results. You'll be able to do simple xy plots for under/over steer, and you'll be able to do more calculations to see the same plus figure out your optimum level of the same.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:14 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Interesting. There are many types of sensors, too. String pot, clogged belt and linear pot.
I'm still trying to Google the clogged belt....
Old 10-03-2016, 04:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hah!
Old 10-03-2016, 07:33 PM
winders
Race Car

Sorry, Scott. I learned something new, thanks to your issue.
No worries, Peter. I knew cardan u-joints were not constant velocity but never encountered a situation in real life where that fact was evident. I should have put 2 and 2 together right away but did not. This shows the difference between knowledge and experience!
Old 10-11-2016, 11:09 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice Scott. thx for sharing.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Scott, I went back and checked on this and while it appears that measuring on the other side of one carden joint results in non linearity, if you measure on the other side of the second carden joint, assuming there is one, it is linear with the wheel. Interesting!
Old 10-11-2016, 12:43 PM
winders
Race Car

Scott, I went back and checked on this and while it appears that measuring on the other side of one carden joint results in non linearity, if you measure on the other side of the second carden joint, assuming there is one, it is linear with the wheel. Interesting!
Yep. See post #15!
Old 10-11-2016, 04:10 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 345 Likes on 274 Posts

That is why there are two universal joints in every misaligned steering column. The input to the first is linear, the steering wheel, the output from the first is non linear, the input to the second is non linear, the output from the second is linear. One cancels the other if connected in series, a basic problem in college dynamics class.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:30 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
That is why there are two universal joints in every misaligned steering column. The input to the first is linear, the steering wheel, the output from the first is non linear, the input to the second is non linear, the output from the second is linear. One cancels the other if connected in series, a basic problem in college dynamics class.
Yes, I know. But there is more. They need to be installed with the yoke ears aligned and the shaft angles equal for it work out as you describe.

As I said, I knew all of this at an academic level. I just hadn't encountered a situation where this characteristic of the cardan joint was an issue. I suspect not many people have. Again, the difference between knowledge and experience.

Quick Reply: AiM String Pot Steering Angle Sensor Setup and Configuration