Notices

Race-Keeper HDX Initial Impressions/Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 05:43 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 899 Likes on 438 Posts

Tom,

The video with real time data overlay straight out of the camera is the main reason I went with AiM dash + SmartyCam versus a MoTec solution. Rear facing video is something I won't get but don't really care to much about.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:49 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott: Chicken or egg issue. I have MoTeC and a lot of money and time invested in it. I'm not changing it. I had a long discussion with Dave and Ellen Ferguson years ago about Aim vs. MoTeC to decide what to do then. I went MoTeC and don't regret it. It's now about finding the best video solution (for me) given what I have. I like the solution I found, I just wish it was better. I'm an optimist that the bugs I've encountered can and will be fixed relatively soon.

We all make different decisions for what to do whether it's Aim vs. MoTeC or R-K vs. SmartyCam or anything else. What I wanted to do was add some information about what I expected and what I found to aid others in making a decision for or against R-K.

(Will I see you at Sonoma in Oct? Car back together?)
Old 09-13-2016, 06:00 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 899 Likes on 438 Posts

Tom: I wasn't suggesting you go a different direction and throw away your investment in anything. Why the hostility?

I commented on why I went the direction I did as others might be reading this thread.

Also, have you looked to see how well the SmartyCam might integrate with CAN data from the MoTec?
Old 09-13-2016, 06:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Tom wants picture in picture.

The SmartyCam HD plus the Bridge can get CAN data from the MoTeC after setup.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-13-2016, 06:54 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Scott: no hostility or any animosity at all. Just trying to say we all make different decisions for different reasons. Peter and I discussed the various options and I decided on R-K based on my priorities and desires.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:09 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
Importing the data and video into Comparo and getting started
Comparo wants you import all your outing data into a directory for it to access. That’s great except it does not allow you to configure the location of the directory and I’ve not yet found where it hides it by trying to search the file structure on the computer. It’s not in the documentation. This is an issue for me as my laptop has limited space and adding a few hundred GB of video is not an option. I want to be able to specify a directory on a portable, external 2 TB drive where I keep all my track video. I can get the software to work, but it’s always an extra couple of (irritating) steps to direct it to look at the external drive.

I have an older version of Racekeeper and use Comparo

you can specify the location of the stored files at least on my version 1.00.06.06
in Comparo open the import window
near the top left it shows where the file is Importing from, click on it to change
near the bottom left of the imported file list is where it is Importing to, click on it to change it

once set they stay as default until you change them again
Old 09-13-2016, 09:24 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Bill! I'll try that when I go over to Boot Camp to render the Enduro video tonight.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:49 AM
Matthew Poat
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Official Race-Keeper Response

Hi Tom,

My name is Matthew Poat and I head up the Race-Keeper UK team, who service customers throughout Europe and even in far off places like Australia. Although we do not directly get involved with USA based customers, since we have a great team based there who are more than capable of supporting you guys, your initial overview of the HDX2 system was so impressive that I felt I should contribute to this post.

Firstly, all of your feedback is spot on. There are a number of deficiencies that are apparent in our hardware/software/documentation that we are aware of and are addressing. Below are a few comments:

HDX2 Manual
As author of the HDX2 manual, I am well aware of the fact that it is now pretty out of date. This is the unfortunate result of having software and hardware that has developed at a fast rate. There was no time to keep the documentation up to date. I intend to upload an updated version of the manual in early October and this will address a number of things you felt were lacking and make items you had to intensively search to find more visible.

Picture in Picture
There is now firmware available that allows you to have picture-in-picture recording straight off the box. The obvious limitation of this is that you will not be able to interact with or move the PiP window, but I'm sure you are already familiar with such things. The reduction in file size and improvement in offload/export speed will be worth it. Let me know if you would like to install this version of firmware into your HDX2 and we can get you sorted. We were going to implement a mirror image version of PiP but that got moved to the bottom of the priority list as more regular requests bumped it down. We will review whether this feature needs to be raised back up again.

Comparo
The latest version of Comparo (84) includes a number of improvements to help with workflow and allow you to become more efficient. This includes things like, opening on the fastest lap, allowing track name to be inputted when video is imported, ability to speed up/down video playback, ability to rotate camera views (incase the camera is upside down, etc).

Importing Issue
You mention an issue whereby Comparo would not allow you to select the folder to which recordings are uploaded to. If you open the import window, the location address is shown in the bottom left corner. If you left click on this, it will allow you to change the location. I will make this information clearer in the new manual.

File Deletion
If you press the DELETE button for an outing, a dialogue box appears that asks if you only wish to remove the outing from your library or delete it from your laptop altogether. This is useful if you bulk imported recordings and some of them are just maneuvering the car around the paddock, etc. This is something that changed since the release of the manual so will be brought up to date in the new version.

Outing Information Issues
We will look into why you struggled to add information to your recordings (driver, track name, car, etc) as this should not be the case. You should be able to add this data on the import, edit and session pages and it should all work the same.

Export Layout
I understand your frustrations with regards to having the Race-Keeper logo appear on exports all the time. I actually go to C/Program Files/Trivinci/Race-Keeper Comparo/Gauges/Overlays and then either modify or remove the file called "overlayhd.png" to stop this appearing whenever I need to do away with it. Maybe this is something that you could do? With regards to why the Race-Keeper logo and URL appeared only 1/4 scale on your exported file is an odd one. I don't think I have seen that before...

Brake Pressure Display
As HDX2's ability to interact with CAN via .dbc files expands, we will develop new ways to graphically display the data it captures. As such, I fully expect to add a brake pressure bar graph in due course, however we are not quite there yet.

This response was created purely to indicate that we do listen to our customers and react to their requests, especially when they are presented in a well structured format. If you have any further questions or require anything from me, my email address is below.

All the Best

Matthew Poat

Sales & Marketing Director
Trivinci (UK) Ltd
mpoat@trivinci.com
Old 09-27-2016, 07:16 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Thank you, Matthew! Very informative and encouraging.

I would like that firmware to test in my demo unit, please.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:27 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Matthew,

Thanks for the response. I'll send an email to you.

Quick Reply: Race-Keeper HDX Initial Impressions/Review