Notices

GPS08

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 07:43 AM
grantnz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS08

I had the opportunity to test the new GPS08 with an MXS. The MXS was running a GPS05 and it worked fine. Last week I swapped the 05 for an 08 and ran a few sessions. From in car all appeared well with a large number of satellites locked on and laps times working and lap times able to be recalled on the dash.

However a couple of days latter when i downloaded the data all went well inside RS3 with the download. However once opened in analysis it had backdated itself a coulle of weeks and was just one session time with no lap times. So that was a really strange result. I assume the 08 is just plug and play, it appears in the firmware tab and looks good.

Anyone come across an issue like this? I am slightly behind on firmware but the release notes wouldn't indictae fixes for this issue but i will update. Would also be good if I hadn't cleared the memory.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:23 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

Do the data files have the GPS info in them? Try doing a GPS laptime insert to see if you can get the lap times back https://vimeo.com/104157434

The GPS08 is basically plug and play, but you need to add the tracks start/finish into it (just like you had originally done with your GPS05). When you update your dash to the latest firmware, you will then be instructed to load the tracks from inside RS3 instead of through GPSManager. They made some important changes about how the tracks are handled and the supplied info, so this is a great update. Just make sure you remember to reload your tracks.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:03 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

If you're in Oz or NZed, there was an issue with GPS and the way AiM handled it. There was/is a fix in the works.

This was discussed within the dealer network within the last few days/weeks.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-16-2016, 11:37 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
If you're in Oz or NZed, there was an issue with GPS and the way AiM handled it. There was/is a fix in the works.

This was discussed within the dealer network within the last few days/weeks.
There was no issue with what AiM did. The problem that was being discussed is that Australia is apparently on the move going about 2.75" north per year. The problem Ron experienced may have been related to a solar flair.

Here is the article about Australia moving and the 5' correction that will take place 1/1/17. http://gpsworld.com/australia-drifts...-measurements/
Old 08-16-2016, 07:33 PM
grantnz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for replies. To confirm I am on the version of firmware that introduced the large change to track management. Everything seemed fine in the car sat count was good and lap timing worked fine and you could see a list of them on dash at end of session.

I am guessing there is maybe a software bug in terms of the data transfer process into RS2/3. Is that what is being alluded to?

Might switch back and try the gps05 or both on same day in a few days time.

I
Old 08-16-2016, 10:43 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I do not know of a software bug in the transfer.

Try doing a GPS lap insert to see if it gets the lap times back https://vimeo.com/104157434

Also, in the data, do you have all the GPS channels (i.e. gps speed, gps lat g, gps long g, etc)?

Quick Reply: GPS08