Notices

Data Hub connection

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 08:30 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Data Hub connection

Looking to add the LCU-One Lambda Controller to my MXL2. The thought process was to move the GPS05 and plug in the Data Hub, plug the GPS05 into the Data Hub. But that doesn't seem to do anything, the system can't find the Data Hub.
Doing some searching I found the manual it is looks like you have to build a power cable for the Data Hub. Kind of a poor design that they don't even provide that. Now I do see once my Lambda Controller shows up it seems to require power too, can it also drive the Data Hub?

Or is there something simple I'm just missing here.

I must be doing something wrong, I see that the CAM EXP connector I'm using is suppose to power it, right now I only have the GPS05 connected to it but it is just searching for a signal
In RS3 I did add the Channel Expansion, but when I connect the computer to the MXL2 it doesn't seem to find it to get the SN.
I also did transmit the configuration to the dash.
There must be some step I'm missing.

Last edited by pmason; 05-31-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:29 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

I think you have a couple of things confused. The data hub gets it's power from the 5 pin connector - no external power needed. It works like a power strip, so their is no setup needed for it. If your GPS says it's searching, it's probably working correctly and just can't get a good signal (like the car is in a garage or has bad view of the sky).

Channel epansions (and the LCU One) need to be configured and the serial number input into RS3. The channel expansion gets it's power from the regular connection and the LCU One needs external power for the heater in the O2 sensor.

You're correct that you will do the dash with the data hub plugged into the expansion connector. Then the channel expansion, GPS, and LCU One plugged into the data hub. You'll have to configure the channel expansion and LCU One in RS3.

Hopefully this helps you get it resolved.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Ok, the system does NOT need to "find" the Data Hub. The Hub is merely a one-into-four multiplier that allows you to connect the LCU-One and the included GPS-05 to the single EXP port on the dash harness.

You do NOT need a power harness or connection to the Data Hub. Period.

Your LCU-One instructions will tell you that you need a significant current capability for the switched power leads from the LCU-One to power the heater filament in the Bosch 4.9 wideband sensor. The power MUST be supplied in order for the dash to "see" the LCU-One. Otherwise, no dice. If you send the configuration to the dash without having it "see" the LCU-One (show the serial number), it won't know to look for it and you'll get error messages.

Now, you DON'T want the power to be on to the LCU-One all the time, just when the car is running (or the dash is being configured) because it takes a fair bit of juice. Hope this helps.

So, connect the GPS-05 and the LCU One to the Data Hub. Connect the Data Hub to the EXP port on the dash harness. Connect the power leads for the LCU One to the switched power for the dash (for now) and try again. You will have to add the expansion to the dash configuration with everything plugged in and powered up, but then you can save it and send it and it will work fine.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-31-2016, 11:34 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Matt, sounds like I was confused thinking I had to configure the Data Hub. I will try again tomorrow, will try connecting the GPS direct and see how long it takes to find signal, will also probably try different port too.
Thanks Peter, have to wait until I get the LCU-One to try that.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:27 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The LCU pulls less than 10 amps. It's also important to note that you should have it wired so that it gets power when the car runs. Not having it heated and running the car can soot the sensor and cause it to fail or give false readings. Some people also say that it should not get heated until just after the car starts so any condensation in the exhaust does not hit the heated ceramic and it to crack. I personally would be more worried about running without the heat than when the heat comes on.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:37 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Yep, the LCU One heater circuit does pull twenty-five to thirty times the current that the loggers do...

I would call that significant...
Old 06-01-2016, 12:48 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It's not hard to beat the dash when it only pulls .4 amps.

I wouldn't call a 10 amp fuse significant in a race car. Brake fans, fuel pumps, cooler pumps, and lots of other stuff pull more.

Quick Reply: Data Hub connection