Notices

How-to videos & tips on Porsche Track Precision

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 12:32 AM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How-to videos & tips on Porsche Track Precision

{I posted this over in the GT4 forum but thought people here might find it useful.}

I've made three videos on using Porsche's Track Precision. Track Precision works with the Sport Chrono package in the 911 R, GT3, GT3 RS, and Cayman GT4.

Update: Porsche has released version 1.6 of the Track Precision app. It fixes a bunch of problems, including the issue where session data would occasionally be deleted. Get the new version from the iOS or Android store.

1:

Last edited by FergusH; 03-31-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:47 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Excellent! Thank you!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-02-2016, 07:59 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Great videos! I'm sure these will help a lot of people.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:22 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

It does work even better with the VBOX Sport, which I will offer at a special discount to Track Precision App users...
Old 03-02-2016, 01:38 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Pete, what does the VBOX Sport add to the app? Better GPS? more?
Thanks!
Old 03-02-2016, 02:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Far better GPS. The VBOX Sport is one of the few bona fide 20Hz sample rate loggers and is already set up to feed that information into the Track Precision App.

Not only is the vehicle location and speed information much more frequent, it's MUCH more accurate. Since all worthwhile measure comparisons are indexed off of GPS position and speed, this is critically important for "good data."

Most phones sample at 1, 2 and 5Hz and almost all current data loggers are sampling at 10 Hz, but aren't able to be integrated into the Track Precision App.

The only 20 Hz loggers that I am aware of are in the VVB Pro and RaceGrade MoTeC, both either by themselves or with associated equipment, several thousand dollars each.

It's a deal and turns the Track Precision App from a toy into a serious tool.

For actual test results, see this post: https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...l#post13063550
Old 03-02-2016, 11:30 PM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Far better GPS. The VBOX Sport is one of the few bona fide 20Hz sample rate loggers and is already set up to feed that information into the Track Precision App.

Not only is the vehicle location and speed information much more frequent, it's MUCH more accurate. Since all worthwhile measure comparisons are indexed off of GPS position and speed, this is critically important for "good data."

Most phones sample at 1, 2 and 5Hz and almost all current data loggers are sampling at 10 Hz, but aren't able to be integrated into the Track Precision App.

The only 20 Hz loggers that I am aware of are in the VVB Pro and RaceGrade MoTeC, both either by themselves or with associated equipment, several thousand dollars each.

It's a deal and turns the Track Precision App from a toy into a serious tool.

For actual test results, see this post: https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...l#post13063550
The other benefit to using the Vbox Sport is reliability. As Peter says, the Vbox is a GPS source for Porsche's app (it's one of two third party GPS units that Porsche supports) but it's also a completely standalone logging unit. The Vbox Sport uses an SD card to record data. It couldn't be simpler: you start moving and the Vbox starts logging your position twenty times each second; stop moving and logging stops. This happens completely automatically and independently of the Porsche app. If you have any problems with the Porsche app, you'll still have a data recording of your run.

The only downside to the Vbox Sport is that it'll automatically turn itself off after 15 minutes of no movement. There's no way to change this. It will stay turned on if it's plugged in to a power source but Racelogic doesn't recommend this, saying that they've seen some units damaged if there's movement between the cable and the Vbox. (The connector is microUSB so is a bit fragile to begin with.) Not a big deal; you've just got to keep the Vbox close enough to see if it's on. Mine was in the back window of my Cayman the other weekend and I didn't realize it'd turned off. I was using a different GPS - the XGPS160 - as a source for the Porsche app that day; probably the last time I'll use it, given the results Peter linked to above.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:08 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

I connect my vbox to a battery pack like this one:
Amazon.com: Battery Pack,Idaye High-Capacity 26800mAh External Battery Pack Power Bank Backup Charger with Smart Tech (5V/4.8A Output) for Android, Apple , Most Tablet and Phones (26800mah-black): Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Battery Pack,Idaye High-Capacity 26800mAh External Battery Pack Power Bank Backup Charger with Smart Tech (5V/4.8A Output) for Android, Apple , Most Tablet and Phones (26800mah-black): Cell Phones & Accessories

both are in the storagebox behind the driver (GT4) I have them wrapped in a towel or sweater to make sure it fills the box and they don't bounce around.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:34 PM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarcD147
I connect my vbox to a battery pack like this one:
Amazon.com: Battery Pack,Idaye High-Capacity 26800mAh External Battery Pack Power Bank Backup Charger with Smart Tech (5V/4.8A Output) for Android, Apple , Most Tablet and Phones (26800mah-black): Cell Phones & Accessories

both are in the storagebox behind the driver (GT4) I have them wrapped in a towel or sweater to make sure it fills the box and they don't bounce around.
Very cool! And the battery pack will keep the Vbox powered all day and prevents it from automatically turning off?

Have you noticed a difference in accuracy with the external antenna or is the goal of that to just keep the Vbox tucked away?

I might have to try your setup.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:12 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Yes just powered it on and didn't check it all day.

I bought the external antenna with vbox and haven't tried without. Based on the convenience of my current setup I don't think I will try

Quick Reply: How-to videos & tips on Porsche Track Precision