Notices

PC to run racekeeper.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 12:13 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts
Default PC to run racekeeper.

Had a shop install racekeeper in my car. I'm a Apple guy and would appreciate some advice on what PC Laptop to get to run the racekeeper software? I will only use the laptop for track data analyze.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,667 Posts

The original standard definition Race-Keeper HE and SE work well with just about any $550-$750 Windows 10 laptop you can by from Best Buy or any large retailer. Samsung, Dell, Acer, H-P are all; good choices. Make sure it has an SD card slot and a capacious hard drive for all your videos (>500 GB).

If you have the new HDX version, your needs will be substantially greater. I would recommend at a minimum, integrated Intel graphics HD 5000 and HD Iris, preferably dedicated GPU. Price range of between $750-$1100 should do.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-18-2015, 05:10 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The original standard definition Race-Keeper HE and SE work well with just about any $550-$750 Windows 10 laptop you can by from Best Buy or any large retailer. Samsung, Dell, Acer, H-P are all; good choices. Make sure it has an SD card slot and a capacious hard drive for all your videos (>500 GB). If you have the new HDX version, your needs will be substantially greater. I would recommend at a minimum, integrated Intel graphics HD 5000 and HD Iris, preferably dedicated GPU. Price range of between $750-$1100 should do.
Thanks!
I'll shoot over to Best Buy and see what they have. I didn't go for the HD racekeeper, didn't think it was worth the extra money.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Would get a Core i5 not a "Core M" (Mobility) CPU. Many choices between Asus, Dell and H-P at BB.

Brightest screen is REALLY important.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:17 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Re:HD Racekeeper

I originally purchased the SD version and was unhappy with the video quality. I traded up to the HD version and am very happy.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

HDX is really good. The last few firmware updates have fixed a lot of issues. If you can accommodate the size of the box and the cameras, it's certainly worthwhile. I like Comparo HD. That and Racelogic's Circuit Tools are the best side-by-side video comparison programs on the market!
Old 11-19-2015, 05:21 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by ProCoach
HDX is really good. The last few firmware updates have fixed a lot of issues. If you can accommodate the size of the box and the cameras, it's certainly worthwhile. I like Comparo HD. That and Racelogic's Circuit Tools are the best side-by-side video comparison programs on the market!
Thanks procoach.

Bought a HP laptop yesterday and managed to download my latest track days from Sebring and Roebling Road. Had a Swedish racer join me for Roebling and its so much fun comparing my graphs and videos with his. Just can't find the button to do best possible lap time???
I think my racekeeper is called HE? Got one camera facing forward and one on the roll bar focused on the driver.
Now an 8 hour flight to Europe. Plenty of time to study.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Thanks procoach.

Just can't find the button to do best possible lap time???
Open "Session Info" then select "Show Splits." It's called "Target Lap Time."
Old 11-24-2015, 03:39 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts

Just run Parallels.. I've been doing that since it was first introduced. You can use VirtualBox which is free, but I prefer parallels. I know some people use Bootcamp, but I prefer to be able to fire it up at will and the ability to read and write into Apple disk space is useful for backups. e.g.. I don't back up the VM, but my data is saved into an Apple folder which is backed up

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Had a shop install racekeeper in my car. I'm a Apple guy and would appreciate some advice on what PC Laptop to get to run the racekeeper software? I will only use the laptop for track data analyze.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I've run Boot Camp since Intel Macs came out in 2006 and I love it.

Have a lot of clients and friends who run Parallels or VMWare, but with emulation programs like these comes software emulation for graphics rendering.

Boot Camp allows an Apple to boot natively into Windows, capable then of fully leveraging the awesOme graphics power present in those computers...

I've done four HD feeds at once on an HD5000 integrated MBA, pretty cool stuff!
Old 11-25-2015, 09:20 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts

Peter - Its true that Bootcamp avoids the graphics emulation. But as it is, I cannot crank the display up to max resolution under Windows without putting on reading glasses

Translation: Graphics are fine. I can have a bunch of apps open, browsers with a bunch of tabs and fire up Parallels without having to close any of that stuff down.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:47 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dan212
Peter - Its true that Bootcamp avoids the graphics emulation. But as it is, I cannot crank the display up to max resolution under Windows without putting on reading glasses

Translation: Graphics are fine. I can have a bunch of apps open, browsers with a bunch of tabs and fire up Parallels without having to close any of that stuff down.

All good, Dan! Multiple ways to skin a cat!

Quick Reply: PC to run racekeeper.