Notices

AIM MXS Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 04:32 PM
John In MD
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIM MXS Review

This forum has to have the best group of enthusiasts around discussing the AIM product line! I’ve been following this forum for some time and based my purchase decision on what I’ve learned from everyone. So, I figured it was time to actually post something by doing a quick review of the AIM MXS.

Over this past winter I built a dedicated HPDE track car - a 2010 Miata - sorry not a Porsche. :-) The instrumentation on the Miata is somewhat lacking so I was interested one of the AIM Dash logging devices since I already had experience with the Aim SOLO DL.

I ended up going with the AIM MXS Dash Logger. I played around with the configurations in Race Studio 3 for the MXL2, MXS, and MXG. I was tempted to go with the MXG, but much of the display would have been obstructed by my steering wheel. The MXL2 and MXS are about the same footprint. I just happened to like the layout of the MXS over the MXL2. AIM has some full size templates on their website that you can print out to do mockup installations.

I wound up ordering the MXS from Jerry Austin http://austinmotorsportsllc.com. Jerry was great to work with and ensured that I was set up with everything I’d need. In addition, Jerry actually went to the effort of configuring the MXS for me as well as providing the data files for RaceStudio 3. This was a nice extra that I hadn’t expected. This will save me a bunch of time as well as providing alarm configurations that I hadn’t even considered.

Installation is pretty straightforward - mount the device and start hooking up the wires. Jerry provided me with a cable to get the CAN data from the OBDII port (this works on a Miata) instead of having to splice into the harness. He also provided me with additional sensors to obtain additional data not available on the Miata through the CAN data feed. These included steering angle, water pressure, oil pressure, oil temperature.

I used AIM sensors, so cabling is straight forward using the AIM 719 jumper (extension) cables when necessary. As long as you plug the sensor into the cable matching the channel you’ve programmed for that sensor you can’t go wrong.

My next track day is not until September 12 so I have a few weeks to get everything installed.

I’ll report back after I have had a chance to use it on the track.

John
Old 08-03-2015, 11:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by John In MD
This forum has to have the best group of enthusiasts around discussing the AIM product line!
I ended up going with the AIM MXS Dash Logger.

I wound up ordering the MXS from Jerry Austin. Jerry was great to work with and ensured that I was set up with everything I’d need. This will save me a bunch of time as well as providing alarm configurations that I hadn’t even considered.

John
Congrats, John! Well served by Jerry!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: AIM MXS Review