Notices

AIM Math Channels (Scared already?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 11:24 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default AIM Math Channels (Scared already?)

AIM Math Channels (Scared already?)

Just finished session #3 of John Block's Webinar. I simply had no idea of the power of the math channels. Quite simply, in the AIM Race Studio software, the user enters formulas for areas of interest, which query the AIM system for the necessary data, whether sensor derived data, or data gathered internally by the AIM system such as the data forthcoming from the AIM multi axis accelerometers, or perhaps using speed gathered from satellite data. It may appear far more complex than it is. Me being pretty much a math "dummy", I even get it.

If you have an AIM coach, or you search out the appropriate You Tube video, you can create your own personalized math channels...here you can have the Race Studio calculate such things as:

Combined G, which is the Square root of Lateral G + the square root of longitude G force. The merging of this data will produce patterns that are indicators of specific driving conditions. OK, so I lost you on that one.

John presented lots of other parameters to mull over, such as: Well then, how would you like data that quantifies Understeer, or Oversteer?

You want your turn radius quantified?

How about steering velocity, that has how fast were you moving the steering wheel.

You can also get L & R Ride Height, front chassis roll, chassis pitch, front roll velocity, roll lag, shock velocities and performance histograms (Now you will know how many clicks you will need to optimize suspension performance).

The real mind blower for me was the coefficient of friction channel, that tells you of the potential tire friction, how much of it did you use? How close were you to the limit?

These webinars are one (1) hour in duration, and they are incredibly interesting. You'll get many a "ah ha" moment. And for some of us, if only math had been presented using the development of math channels as a model, we would have had a much easier time grasping the various concepts and would have embraced such things as derivatives (Not the stock market), tangents, cosine, etc.

If you have read this far, I must assume you have a level of interest sufficient for you to consider an AIM Data Seminar. Do yourself a favor, use your AIM system for something more than a shift light with timing on the fly and warning lights. If you have the opportunity, enroll in a seminar. Cultivate an AIM coach...suer it may cost a few bucks to monopolize his time for an hour or two, well worth it.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:36 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Just completed session #6

Of John Block's seminar on AiM Race Studio....so much information out there....just attack the project as you would eat an elephant, one bite at a time. I am glad I took the course...gladder yet that my competitors didn't.

Quick Reply: AIM Math Channels (Scared already?)