AIM gear sensor wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 02:50 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 66 Posts
Default AIM gear sensor wiring?

Tried to find better detail on how to wire this setup, but I've had no luck on the AIM side.

AIM system is an XG Log.

Motor is Suzuki GSXR 600 - in an F500, not my racecar, but the same gear sensor looks like. 3 wires; one is ground for the neutral light, one is the power from the ECU (5V IIRC), and one should be signal out. Ground is body of the sensor, it'd seem.

So the gear sensor in the trans is a straight-up potentiometer. On my racecar, it's still plugged into the stock wiring harness; we're tapped into it with a DL1 and reading gear position no problem.

I'm wondering how to wire in the AIM gear sensor pigtail.

In this F500, the sensor is no longer plugged into the ECU - may have removed that wire, not sure yet. But connecting power from the AIM, and the signal wire... seem to not get a valid signal from the sensor... Wondering if we need to get a little more creative? I'm not sure how the XG Log is wired, I know with the DL1 wired to a resistor sensor we need a voltage divider circuit...

Anyone there know? Thanks...
Old 06-08-2015, 06:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

I have used this with EVO4's in Channel 5, which has a wizard to assign resistance or mV values from the pot to assign gears. No experience on the "vintage" XG-Log. Part of it is because that old a unit doesn't integrate with GPS OR SmartyCam of any vintage. Check with Josh or Cameron at AiM.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-09-2015, 09:47 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cheers, will do, thanks!
Old 06-10-2015, 08:33 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Follow up with info from AIM... their gear sensor pigtail is designed to go to their own linear-pot gear position sensor, sounds like, so some rewiring to match up with the bike one.

Looks like all we need to do is wire up using the +5VDC VRef line to power the sensor, verify the ground, and pull signal from the sensor. However, if you use the +12VDC power (also available on the standard 4-pin sensor connector) to the sensor, there's perhaps some chance you blow out the sensor. Which we may have inadvertently done, which might help explain why we have no meaningful signal.

I'll have to see what's going on with the one on the car, when I get my hands on it... but that's at least what should have been done...

Quick Reply: AIM gear sensor wiring?