Notices

Virtual tuning parameters

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 11:20 AM
trackattack
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Virtual tuning parameters

Hello all, i have been looking at this forum for some time trying to accumulate data on how to set up a virtual test bed for suspension tuning using a racing simulator. I understand this forum is for those privilaged enough to already have an actual car and location to test at but as it stands at the moment i am still in the development stages of realizing my dream. This is my first post so i am unable to start a thread on a specific forum and do not know how to approach those who might have the time and be willing to share their expertise in these areas. Bill Verburg, a moderator on this forum has been a great source of knowledge for me in my pursuit of tuning a virtual model of a highly tuned 993 GT2 using the Nurburgring Nordshlieife as the track of choice to determine handling dynamics.

I will post my data below in the hope that anyone who wishes to assist me in fine tuning can give me some tips, of course i understand this is not the usual place to get answers regarding tuning of virtual cars but after exhausting other avenues i decided i would turn to those who have actual hands on knowledge.

The car in question is a 1996 911 GT2, lightened for track use and tuned to compete in the GT1 category (a modernized 935 if you will), it has a widened track and aero courtesy of an RWB bodykit and a signifcant boost in HP, here are the specs as it stands.

Power: 796 BHP @ 7500rpm
Torque: 708 LB/FT @ 4500rpm
Weight: 2533 LB
Weight Distribution: Front/Rear 42/58%
Tires: Racing Slicks Front (Huge!) 305/30/R18 Rear 365/25/R18

Tire Pressure: 27.5psi F/R

Alignment:-
Camber: Front -1.2 Rear -1.4
Toe: Front 0.0 Rear - 0.1 degrees
Caster: 5.7 degrees
Torsion Bars: Front 23.78mm Rear 22.05mm

Springs: Front: 450LB/IN Rear: 600LB/IN
Ride Height: Front 3.9IN Rear 4.1IN
Dampers: Damper scale 0-13.0 soft/stiff
Front Bump 9.1 Rebound 7.2
Rear Bump 11.1 Rebound 9.2
LSD: Accel:50 Decel:43
Brake Balance: Front 52%
Aero: Front 88LB Rear 250LB

Performance:

0-60 3 sec
0-100 5.3
1/4 Mile 10.2
Top Speed 216mph
Current lap time 6min55s

My main concerns are damper, springs, torsion bar and camber settings. Since i do not have experience in tracking a car my data has been gathered from various sources on the internet and the general behaviour whilst using a simulator. If anyone has any input to confirm my data being close to realistic for this type of track (Nurburgring) or any adjustment i might make i would greatly appreciate it. Cheers.
Old 08-15-2023, 03:09 AM
GroupJ
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

An interesting exercise and if done really well might have some application to setup of a real car. I suspect there are various levels of fidelity you might try to achieve. At the highest level would be a full 6 DOF model of the car and suspension with thrust, braking and steering inputs, a road model of the course, tire, aero, and weather models. The car responds to external stimuli. I believe this is basically what F1 simulators try to achieve. Another approach might be what you would call parametric models. You gather a lot of data on lap times for a given car model vs some key parameters like weight, hp, tire size/ compound, suspension mods etc. The model predicts lap times based on parameters selected. I suspect most of the virtual racing games are of this type where if you drive the perfect lap there is a min lap time for the parameters chosen. There maybe other approaches. Which model are you trying to develop?

Quick Reply: Virtual tuning parameters