Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 777 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
You can also adapt the MoTeC brake pressure sensors to feed the AiM, if there is not a dash in it.
I can help with the wiring if you need it. I have done a ton of sensor adapters the last two years.
Old 12-15-2022, 09:59 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 167 Posts

Yes, if the car is equipped with the MoTeC dash and has the sensors (not all did), you should be able to read it on the MoTeC. I though you said it didn't have a data system in it because the previous owner was taking it?

You can also adapt the MoTeC brake pressure sensors to feed the AiM, if there is not a dash in it.

I have tons of information on the MoTeC, as it was fitted first to the US 997 Cups, then more worldwide.
It was a surprise to me when I went to see it yesterday. I guess the stuff he took out was on top of that. It also has duel sensors. If I can get it to tell me when the rears are about to lock up then yes, I want lots of that! Looks like I can either mount the Mxm off to the side of the column or on the cage below the A pillar though. No Idea if the Motec has it's own GPS but even if it does, AIM sounds better.

Last edited by sbelles; 12-15-2022 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-16-2022, 10:05 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Fire up the dash, read the bottom row of numbers. Take a pic or tell us what it is.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-16-2022, 11:44 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Fire up the dash, read the bottom row of numbers. Take a pic or tell us what it is.
Will do when I pick it up after Christmas. Meanwhile more reading and undoubtedly more confusion.

Thanks Matt. I'll be in touch when I figure out what I have and what I need.
Old 12-16-2022, 11:58 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I would be inclined to add the MXm for GPS stuff and use the MoTeC for brakes.
Old 12-16-2022, 02:42 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Yeah, that's what I'm getting too but it can only go so far to indicate a lockup condition without GPS so if there's a way to do it in the Mxm it's worth looking at as a learning tool.
Old 12-16-2022, 03:27 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The top of the dash in the interior picture is cut off, but I would be willing to bet you have an SLM (Shift light module) as part of the MoTeC kit. If you do, you may have a visual indicator of lockup already.
Old 12-16-2022, 03:42 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

The top of the dash in the interior picture is cut off, but I would be willing to bet you have an SLM (Shift light module) as part of the MoTeC kit. If you do, you may have a visual indicator of lockup already.
Looks like it. I'm out over my skis on what I know vs what I want to know. I won't have a chance to talk to the owner or Max at length until after New Years but I haven't been this giddy at Christmas since my kids were little. Or maybe when I got the GI Joe Lunar module. I really wanted to start cleaning it up though, it's been sitting for a couple of months.
Old 12-16-2022, 04:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yep, you look like you have what you need. I’ll email you some user information on that system.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-16-2022, 04:41 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If you have the full MoTeC, I would consider adding just a SmartyCam 3 Dual/GP/Corsa (when they are available). Along with a GPS, you'll get the video and full data files. The MoTeC in that car is great and the MXm would be a duplication, not additional data.

If you need some good MoTeC guy recommendations for training/help, let me know and I can share/introduce some of the best.
Old 12-16-2022, 05:07 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The fellow that developed this setup for PMNA (and adopted elsewhere in the world for the 997 cups from 2006-2011) was Joe Hullett, who worked for MoTeC USA at the time.

He’s been on his own for more than a decade and would be glad to help you, I’m sure. He’s at Digital Competition Systems in Mooresville NC. https://www.digitalcompetitionsystems.com/staff There is no one who knows this system on this car better.

I will forward the material he and others developed on connections and use of that system.

It needs to say ADL2 or ADL3 on the bottom right of the dash or it won’t have GPS capability. It’s still capable of doing everything else and more with a beacon. GPS can be added to it for $180 plus installation.

I would stay with the MXm and feed your SmartyCam off that for the time being. You can connect it to the MoTeC camera CAN out for all the basic information.

There is MUCH more data available on the MoTeC and it’s already tied into the car. Not all that information can be sent to the AIM easily and the MoTeC is more powerful and reliable. The software is easier to use than the AiM, more than a few people think.

Chances are the car is already setup with two brake pressure sensors, wheel speed sensors, crankcase pressure sensor and engine health sensors. All the car vitals will be visible on the MoTeC dash.

Also, the SLM shows SO much more than shift lights. It will show front or rear lockup, bias, all kinds of things.

All you need to confirm this is simply download and open the Dash Configuration. I can walk you though that online. The software is free.
Old 12-16-2022, 05:12 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The fellow that developed this setup for PMNA (and adopted elsewhere in the world for the 997 cups from 2006-2011) was Joe Hullett, who worked for MoTeC USA at the time.

He’s been on his own for more than a decade and would be glad to help you, I’m sure. He’s at Digital Competition Systems in Mooresville NC. https://www.digitalcompetitionsystems.com/staff There is no one who knows this system on this car better.

I will forward the material he and others developed on connections and use of that system.

It needs to say ADL2 or ADL3 on the bottom right of the dash or it won’t have GPS capability. It’s still capable of doing everything else and more with a beacon. GPS can be added to it for $180 plus installation.

I would stay with the MXm and feed your SmartyCam off that for the time being. You can connect it to the MoTeC camera CAN out for all the basic information.

There is MUCH more data available on the MoTeC and it’s already tied into the car. Not all that information can be sent to the AIM easily and the MoTeC is more powerful and reliable. The software is easier to use than the AiM, more than a few people think.

Chances are the car is already setup with two brake pressure sensors, wheel speed sensors, crankcase pressure sensor and engine health sensors. All the car vitals will be visible on the MoTeC dash.

Also, the SLM shows SO much more than shift lights. It will show front or rear lockup, bias, all kinds of things.

All you need to confirm this is simply download and open the Dash Configuration. I can walk you though that online. The software is free.
'\_(0_0)_/'

I agree Joe is awesome, along with Chris Brown, Phil Reia, and a few others.
Old 12-16-2022, 05:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Scott, a lot of good information in the Cup sub forum, too.

Matt’s confused, as usual.

If you don’t have the GPS on the car already, which I think you probably do, the MXm is a fine lap timer.
Old 12-16-2022, 06:11 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

I've been reading the Cup forums for the past week and I'm back to page 10 or so. It's off season so there's not a lot going on currently but there's a lot of good info there like Peter's link above about figuring out where the bias is actually working. Thanks to both of you for all the info, I'm going to try to learn all I can before I get a chance to go play with the thing.
Old 12-16-2022, 07:08 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Scott, a lot of good information in the Cup sub forum, too.

Matt’s confused, as usual.

If you don’t have the GPS on the car already, which I think you probably do, the MXm is a fine lap timer.
I hope your constant vexation and well jell towards me brings you happiness.

Quick Reply: Mxm for 997.1 Cup?