Is everyone happy with their SmartyCam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 09:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,896 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by Geneman
So just confirming: best advice is use 84 FOV for forward facing, center mounted as best possible, eye level, and encompassing a view including both A pillars/ car corners.
Yes. Only mod I’d make to the above is I place the camera 6”-8” to the right of vehicle centerline in the plane or the main hoop and aim 10-15 degrees down from horizontal, aimed towards the center of the front bumper cover.

Be sure to set your Menu>Settings>Accel Cal>Select on level ground after you’re happy with the preview and then back out using the center button.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-10-2020, 10:02 PM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

Thanks peter. what does the accel cal>select>ground level do? in my case, the remote box is mounted on the tunnel near the gear shift. so it is " ground level. i assume the accelerometer sensor is in the box, not the pencil cam unit itself
Old 07-10-2020, 11:59 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I don’t recommend the 120 due to the distortion and “warp” at the edges of the field of view. I have sold a few to open wheel and sports racers, as well as to those who wish the widest view to protect themselves from the rear view.

Also, the usable vertical view of the 120 is limited due to the fixed 16.9 aspect ratio.
Peter: You're a snappy dresser and all, but we'll have to agree to disagree on this one :-)
Old 07-11-2020, 01:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Geneman
Thanks peter. what does the accel cal>select>ground level do? in my case, the remote box is mounted on the tunnel near the gear shift. so it is " ground level. i assume the accelerometer sensor is in the box, not the pencil cam unit itself
Having the car on level ground allows the accelerometers in the background of the video to be centered, which is important. This is true for anyone running a SmartyCam, especially if you're going to use RS3A-beta to look at SmartyCam generated data.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jwasilko
Peter: You're a snappy dresser and all, but we'll have to agree to disagree on this one :-)
Fair enough, Jeff!

It's nice to have a choice! I have one in my sports racing car just so I can capture the exciting wheel-to-wheel action!
The following users liked this post:
jwasilko (07-11-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 10:50 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
While it adds validation, depth and an objective measure to assign a steering angle number, I find that a vast majority of people watching the video can more quickly and easily assimilate steering input amplitude and speed, as well as shift speed, FAR more easily using the video than constructing a strip chart.
I’ve been using the SWAngle feed in a control on the video, since I can’t always see the SW easily in the vid (need to set my exposure, the inside of the car is often too dark). I agree the linear bar widget isn’t as intuitive as a rotating steering wheel animation. Please suggest to AiM that we all want a SW widget for the video data display! 😀
GT3_Driver (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 11:09 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Difool
I’ve been using the SWAngle feed in a control on the video, since I can’t always see the SW easily in the vid (need to set my exposure, the inside of the car is often too dark). I agree the linear bar widget isn’t as intuitive as a rotating steering wheel animation. Please suggest to AiM that we all want a SW widget for the video data display! 😀
Before the bar came out, I like the number.

Old 07-16-2020, 11:47 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 784 Likes on 508 Posts

If you use beta, you have the video and the actual angle from data in it. The data tells you way more than the video for steering.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Both, is best.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:02 AM
txbdan
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 114 Posts

I had my first outting with the SmartyCam this past weekend. It was connected to my Aim Solo 2 DL which was hooked up to my Cayman's canbus. Everything worked perfectly!

720p res is a little disappointing if you're used to using GoPros, but it does the job and working with the smaller/lighter files is a lot faster and easier.

Also, the mic is picking up terrible wind noise. I saw a few threads on that so i'll read up.

Last edited by txbdan; 07-20-2020 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by txbdan

Also, the mic is picking up terrible wind noise. I saw a few threads on that so i'll read up.
The best solution in 997/987/981/991 closed cars with street exhaust is the external mic jack 3.5mm CAN cable between the logger and the camera and the Racelogic RLACS133 mic, which has a 2.5 meter cable itself and is the best audio output match for the expected input of the SmartyCam. Sounds MUCH better than the internal mic. I have plenty of mics but waiting on my stock order for the cable.

4K, by itself, is easy. That file size, tho...

Even 1080p is a very big challenge to render animations ON to the video in real time.

Also, the resolution is only part of the issue, a better codec (H265) with lower native resolution is better than a higher resolution with a crappy codec. Many more factors than just a number.

Plus, I can coach better using 4K, said no ProCoach, ever!

I can coach better using metrics ON the video, available twenty seconds after you return to the paddock, said EVERY pro coach I know.

Glad you have a good solution now.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:16 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 784 Likes on 508 Posts

I agree with Peter. There are a lot of technical problems with moving a camera like the SCHD to 4k, not to mention availability of the sensor element in appropriate quantities and price.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:35 PM
txbdan
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 114 Posts

Not really. I've done lots of work in robotics and computer vision and you can overlay real time rendered graphics on 1080p video real time with a $35 raspberry pi. Motorsports is a small market, but its also a market quite willing to support high margin products. If you think about it, Aim's business plan is literally selling 10yr old technology at a premium price.
FastCarSlo (07-26-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 11:12 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Happy SmartyCam Camper

Originally Posted by txbdan
I'm getting so sick of futzing with electronics while at the track only to have them rarely work, or i forget to hit record on the GoPro, etc, etc. When video does work i rarely get around to processing videos and overlays. I have an Aim Solo 2 DL (wired up to CAN bus) and am thinking about getting a SmartyCam to make life simpler. It is pricey, though.
Is it truly "the dream"? Does it always work? Pretty videos will pop out perfectly as if by magic? Is the video quality good?
What are the cons?
Thanks!
I am ecstatic about the performance of my SmartyCam HD, Rev. 2.1 with 84 degree field of vision (FOV). I too have the AiM SOLO 2 DL hooked into my CAN bus system. I mounted the camera between the seats...it's in a 2015 Cayman GTS. There is literally nothing to fuss with. Start the car, the SOLO 2 DL goes on as does the camera. It won't record anything until I exceed X (pre-programmed) miles per hour. You look at the results exemplified in my video, and then ascertain if it's pricey...besides what seamless choice do you have being that you already have a SOLO 2 DL The wind noise is horrendous so turn down the volume. I think I have that fixed.Just for fun, look out to 1:17 and you see a Corvette launch off the track...thank God he didn't shoot across the track and nail me. I'll be back in a minute with the link.

In my experience, there are four (4) AiM dealers in the US that offer high-quality service and support: Peter Krause, Matt Romanowski are 2 of the 4. They support Rennlist to the nth degree. I have a good solid dealer in Paso Robles, CA at Veracity Racing Data, 10 miles from my home. I have another dealer in N. Hollywood. Those are the only four (4) I know of. If you buy from anyone else, it may be the roll of the dice, could be excellent, could be the pits.

You could sell your SOLO 2 DL and go to a V-BOX Lite, Peter sells these. You'll have two cameras...do you need to supplement with a rear-facing camera? If you are wheel to wheel racing, it's a good idea. V-BOX Lite can be wired into your CAN bus, as far as I know. Talk to one of the dealers mentioned, they'll set you straight.

VIDEO:
Old 07-29-2020, 08:13 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I am ecstatic about the performance of my SmartyCam HD, Rev. 2.1 with 84 degree field of vision (FOV).

The wind noise is horrendous so turn down the volume. I think I have that fixed.

I have a good solid dealer in Paso Robles, CA at Veracity Racing Data, 10 miles from my home.
Martin, thank you for the kind words.

I have just sent several mics to Ellen at Veracity that, together with the 3.5mm mic jack cable between the S2DL and the SCHD in your car, will fix that problem.

Make sure after that is installed that the audio gain settings are turned off internally and in the middle for the externally mounted mic.

Quick Reply: Is everyone happy with their SmartyCam?