Solo 2 DL OBDII cable to CAN?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 08:05 PM
gtreddy
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Solo 2 DL OBDII cable to CAN?

Hey everyone,

I have a question that I’m unsure of the answer too. But basically I’ve hardwired my solo 2 do into my car and it works great, but I also have an old 7 pin to OBDII and we would like to put it into 2 different race cars.

Looking at my cable (opened up the OBD connector) it’s a K line and CAN OBD setup. So what I’m planning on doing is installing some pigtail female OBDII poets into two different cars with the CAN Hi, CAN Low, 12V, and ground wires connected.

My question is whether there is an issue doing this? In theory I can’t see one, but looking at some documents online for the OBD cable (can’t find a manual for the unterminated cable), it seems there is a 120 ohm resistor in the cabling. I’m thinking it’s the same for the unterminated cable, but I’m not 100% sure. Does anyone know if there is an issue doing something like this?

EDIT:

https://www.aim-sportline.com/downlo...DL_100_eng.pdf

Just found this in another thread, and it looks like there is a 120 ohm resistor in the standard cable as well. So my guess is that this idea concept should work?
Old 06-04-2020, 10:08 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,693 Posts

So, the OBDII cable for the Solo 2 DL (after the first several hundred in production) comes without the 120 ohm terminating resistor. This is because the software was capable of adding the 120 ohm termination resistor, whereas in the Solo DL (first generation) the 120 ohm termination resistor was added as part of the OBDII cable as a matter of course.

I see no reason why your plan would not work. Go for it!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-04-2020, 10:23 PM
gtreddy
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
So, the OBDII cable for the Solo 2 DL (after the first several hundred in production) comes without the 120 ohm terminating resistor. This is because the software was capable of adding the 120 ohm termination resistor, whereas in the Solo DL (first generation) the 120 ohm termination resistor was added as part of the OBDII cable as a matter of course.

I see no reason why your plan would not work. Go for it!
Ahhh, I see. My OBDII cable is from my solo DL (before I upgraded). I’m assuming that running the 120 ohm resistor cable is OK with a Solo 2 since the initial versions came with it? Guessing there’s some software detection on the unit.

Thanks for the clarification/response!
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (06-04-2020)

Quick Reply: Solo 2 DL OBDII cable to CAN?