Notices

motec shift data help needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 01:33 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Default motec shift data help needed

the area where my driving needs biggest improvement right now is shifting... not consistent enough, not good enough blips, etc I will get my gearbox redone this winter and that will help but my mechanics are to blame for the condition of the box and even more importantly missed/incorrect/suboptimal shifts are costing me races at the moment.

as I like data and positive enforcement i was thinking about getting a counter on my dash (MOTEC ADL2/PRO) that shows percentage of good shifts with the idea that I will stay focussed on increasing the number/ratio of good shifts

a good down shift is done with enough blip to match the revs with not a crazy amount of revs. selecting the proper gear (eg from 5 go to 4 and not 6)
a good upshift is selecting the proper gear (eg from 3 to 4 and not to 6) preferably not too fast (some times I shift faster (let clutch out to quick) than the synchros can handle)

would it be possible to reflect this in some counter on my dash?
eg 99.5% of all shifts are "good" so I can work towards getting to 99.6 (or in reality getting from 95 to 96%)

other suggestions welcome
Old 09-23-2019, 11:41 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

You could do some math channels to do this in i2 for sure. I am guessing to do it in real time on the dash you'd need the Advanced Maths upgrade, but it seems possible.

Something like:
Have a channel that detects when you start making a downshift shift (depressed the clutch, or are on the brake & throttle at the same time).
Store the RPM value and get at that moment in channels (say DownStartRPM and DownStartGear)
Detect when the gear shift is done when the brake clutch is back engage; store the ROM & gear for this in additional channel (DownEndRPM and DownEndGear)
Apply your calc based on on RPM and gear on how good you think that downshift was. You'll have to experiment with this, but maybe something like:
Figure out the ideal RPM when you want to release the clutch vs.. where you actually do. Show this as a +/- value on the dash.

I am not sure the doing the percentage thing will be easy to do, but should be possible with some counters. But I would start by trying to get a channel to just show the rating of the last upshift/downshift.

Btw, you might consider instead of displaying via a number using the SLM to flash a specific color or number of lights.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:35 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,696 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
You could do some math channels to do this in i2 for sure.

I am guessing to do it in real time on the dash you'd need the Advanced Maths upgrade, but it seems possible.

Btw, you might consider instead of displaying via a number using the SLM to flash a specific color or number of lights.
Yes, yes and especially the last!

Quick Reply: motec shift data help needed