Notices

Teething issues with Solo2 DL and Smartycam GP HD

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 01:09 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Teething issues with Solo2 DL and Smartycam GP HD

I believe I'm getting poor GPS reception. The Solo2 DL takes as much as 10 minutes of sitting out in the open to locate the track. Once it has it, my speed frequently disappears and is inaccurate when it pops back in. There is no track map (although it sometimes shows the map of another track at the facility). There is also no start/finish data, so the session plays as one big lap. I overlayed a timer to measure the lap time.

My first thought would be to confirm I have the latest firmware.

What's odd is that I believe the Solo2DL on its own was getting a lock on GPS much more consistently. But I simply might not have noticed the problems before.

Here's a video to illustrate (and amuse, with some clunky attempts at lap-video humor).

[ame]https://youtu.be/PUMJ3GRAywA[/ame]
Old 03-21-2019, 01:47 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Can you show where/how you are putting the solo DL...ive seen some issues too far away from the windsheild causing bad reception
it looks kinda like you have it down by the air controls....try moving it to the windsheild for a run
definately check firmware, they update it Alot
also make sure you load the track as well
Old 03-21-2019, 01:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Too low in the car, Jack. Has to have vertical view clear and as close to 150-180 degrees of horizon view as possible. This is most often seen in instances where your unit is mounted or on the center of the steering wheel in closed cars.

You have a satellite count in your data. Bet it's low...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-21-2019, 02:20 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Yup, first thing to check is satellite count and accuracy. If it's mounted in the face if the dash, take could well be the problem. The GPS map is usually messed up too.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:28 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I've currently got it where the ash tray would be in an air-cooled 911. I'm thinking of moving it up to where there is currently a Rave Technology display. Do you think that would be high enough?

Is there a way to add an external antenna, if that doesn't work?

Old 03-21-2019, 04:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Might be better, for sure. Most folks place it left inside the windshield and just above the dash near the left pillar. Or, they built a small tab mounting bracket on the upper facing of the center vent.

No external antenna.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:45 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

That location may be ok. I never used one, but in the back of Pano there used to be an add for a device to hold cell phones. It went behind the clock and the other end of the thing went to the dash somewhere. I thought it could work well. I think you have a roll cage. If so, left hand side like Peter said with this mount is great https://trailbrake.com/solo-v-bracke...bar-mount-kit/

Trending Topics

Old 03-21-2019, 07:00 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Keep ithe SOLO out from under the lip of the dash where your gauges are, I know that will kill reception. You can test satellite strength in your driveway before you go to the track. If you have a SC have you tried to use a GPS antenna on the camera? Maybe that would over-ride the SOLO GPS, I have not tried it.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:41 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Might be better, for sure. Most folks place it left inside the windshield and just above the dash near the left pillar. Or, they built a small tab mounting bracket on the upper facing of the center vent.

No external antenna.
" left inside the windshield and just above the dash near the left pillar." After some experimentation, that's where I located my SOLO 2, using a windshield mount I got from Matt Romanowski @www.trailbrake.com

I assume you are running Willow Springs...lots of good satellite coverage there...at least there was last time I was there with an AiM MXL-2, a few years back. I have since gone to a SOLO 2, it worked just fine at Laguna Seca mounted as described above...sure wish I had my MXL-2 back for it's shift light and warning lights, it went bye bye when the 993 was sold....probably should have gotten the SOLO 2 DL, probably will at some point, or the MXm.

Mounting the SOLO 2 off to the left is a good fit for me (See pic: Note on the pic, I placed a file folder on the outside of the windshield to clarify
the pic.)
with the suction cup mounted to the windshield. I originally had the SOLO 2 mounted in the center of the windshield, below the mirror, the reception was fine BUT the SOLO 2 seemed to somewhat diminish my view, especially when looking for markers, while turning right, along the right side of the track.

Where it is now off to the left is ideal for me, SOLO 2 does not restrict my view to the left side of the track...and the bigger bonus, viewing the Predictive Lapping LEDs.....seems so natural here. If you haven't set up for Predictive Lapping....you are missing out big time.

Last edited by Martin S.; 03-23-2019 at 02:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Teething issues with Solo2 DL and Smartycam GP HD