Notices

GPS08 question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 04:58 AM
SR8
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS08 question

I own a 2010 Radical with stock MXL dash, I just bought smartycam GP 2.2 and a GPS08. My question is: If I connect the GPS08 to the SCHD GP and connect the camera module to the 5pin can connection of the MXL would the dash receive the GPS signal? If so do I need data hub? Thanks
Old 03-17-2019, 07:20 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by SR8
I own a 2010 Radical with stock MXL dash, I just bought smartycam GP 2.2 and a GPS08. My question is: If I connect the GPS08 to the SCHD GP and connect the camera module to the 5pin can connection of the MXL would the dash receive the GPS signal? If so do I need data hub? Thanks
Yes, the SCHD will.communicatw the GPS info with the MXL.

A GPS08 is 5 pins and will plug into a data hub. A GPS08B is 4 oins and will connect to the SCHD. The connection depends on which one you bought.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:19 AM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 274 Posts

Be careful to orient the plug to the MXL properly. I did not and caused a chip failure in the GPS.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:01 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
Be careful to orient the plug to the MXL properly. I did not and caused a chip failure in the GPS.
I think you mean to make sure the plug is oriented correctly. Yes, it's important not to force it in when it's not clocked correctly.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:15 AM
SR8
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply Matt. I have the 2.2 version of the GP with 5pin GPS connection for GPS08, so I guess I will be OK with just connecting the Exp connection to the MXL and use the GPS data.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:20 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,334 Likes on 1,892 Posts

There have been instances where the shell turns with the pin body, but that’s very rare.

Although some shops economize by installing the less expensive 05B and 08B on the camera instead of the more expensive 05 and 08 to the dash or data hub, I prefer when adding the GPS capability to use the 05 or 08 to the dash or the hub. Outcomes have been better and good results more consistent, in my experience.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:33 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
There have been instances where the shell turns with the pin body, but that’s very rare.

Although some shops economize by installing the less expensive 05B and 08B on the camera instead of the more expensive 05 and 08 to the dash or data hub, I prefer when adding the GPS capability to use the 05 or 08 to the dash or the hub. Outcomes have been better and good results more consistent, in my experience.
I believe the OP has a Pista dash, so it's probably an old install. I haven't seen someone use a B on a new install in a long time.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,334 Likes on 1,892 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I believe the OP has a Pista dash, so it's probably an old install. I haven't seen someone use a B on a new install in a long time.
I’ve seen cars from three different shops with new gen dashes (primarily MXL2) with B antennas on their SmartyCams for GPS info. When I asked the drivers where the antenna that CAME with the dash went, they say; “I don’t know, the shop put it in...” Hmmm...
Old 03-17-2019, 01:10 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I’ve seen cars from three different shops with new gen dashes (primarily MXL2) with B antennas on their SmartyCams for GPS info. When I asked the drivers where the antenna that CAME with the dash went, they say; “I don’t know, the shop put it in...” Hmmm...
Weird. That's bad on the shop. I haven't seen that. I have added GPS08B in a pinch for convenience when the original GPS to the dash was damaged. The ease of wiring and time constraints made adding the GPS08B to the camera the best thing to do. After that, it's kept as a spare when the GPS08 goes back in. Doesn't matter in the end as it's the same info, but very dishonest for a shop to switch them out and not tell the customer.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:50 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My preference is to always connect the GPS to the logger instead of the camera, where you can. This way you get GPS to the dash (lap times) when the camera decides not to work, rare, but it happens, especially when you sit on grid long enough for the camera to shut itself off and doesn't restart because you don't recycle power

Quick Reply: GPS08 question