Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Data Acquisition and Analysis for Racing and DE (https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acquisition-and-analysis-for-racing-and-de-233/)
-   -   AiM iPhone App? (https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acquisition-and-analysis-for-racing-and-de/1131427-aim-iphone-app.html)

ProCoach 06-05-2019 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by LandShark (Post 15887816)

BTW, how do I see a "virtual best lap" (either within the session or within a day) in RS3 if it's available?

In Race Studio Analysis, you can make a map of predefined sectors, disable or remove incomplete or seriously outlying laps and select sector report to show a TBL and best rolling lap, as well as the best lap.

Add more tests or sessions to come up with a TBL for several sessions or across driver comparisons.

It’s not automatic. You also have to be careful with the quality of the laps you include in the test.

Matt Romanowski 06-05-2019 01:31 PM

BTW, from you expect here, how do I see a "virtual best lap" (either within the session or within a day) in RS3 if it's available?

You still do analysis in RS2 Analysis. This video shows how to create the track map and do the segment analysis. To Peter's point, you want to disable the in and out laps as they will give you false results. Laps in the middle, no matter the pace, don't normally create any problems as the slower laps don't factor in. Now, if you have the Bus Stop at Watkins Glen as a segment and drive straight through, you would want to disable that lap as well.

You can create multiple maps for the same track as long as you save them with different names. That allows you to perform segment analysis on very specific parts of the track as you work on them.

Matt Romanowski 06-05-2019 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by ProCoach (Post 15887661)
Hahaha! Matt, I think you’ve painted yourself into a “corner of excellence” in this thread. ;)

Again, there is no system that does everything the ideal system for most would encompass.

Having been one of the top two or three dealers for AiM for almost a decade, the top dealer for Racelogic’s Motorsport line of products, the first dealer for the Apex Pro (because it embodies the main thesis and methodology of my most effective work coaching drivers), the second dealer for a RaceVoice (now available in a simple add on kit for Solo 2 DL’s for audible coaching prompts) and now getting into the exciting new world of Cosworth because of it’s widespread use integrated by Porsche, Aston Martin and others in their factory race cars, the broad range of application and utility of these systems is known to me.

The NUMBER one reason why people call me is to investigate what might be the best system for THEM, because they know I have no blind allegiance to one system over the other. Makes for more satisfied customers.

As Joe Hullett has so aptly said, “these aren’t just blister pack products you hand over the counter, they have to be supported.”

Most of the people I talk to just want the equipment they buy to work, and to offer the features and performance the equipment manufacturers promise. That’s it. The idea the a dealer is committed to “excellence” in one product line is pretty easy, I know plenty of people like that all over the country for specific systems. It’s the multi line dealers that really excel, however. Dave and Ellen Ferguson, Chris Brown, Colin Harmer and the list goes on and on.

Bottom line is that those of us who are among the highest performing dealers for AiM have been tested, over and over again. From vaporware presented at PRI only to be delivered 7, 15 or even 23 months later to firmware updates issued the Friday before a big race weekend that breaks things that worked well before, it is a challenge to ride along with the growing pains of even a good, well meaning company. And their stuff is a really good value. I believe in it and use it myself. Every day...

All of the manufacturers have challenges, as this is not simple stuff and the hardware/software linkages are easily disturbed. The OP has a valid complaint, for sure. It’s important that we all listen and seek answers, rather than boast blind faith and allegiance, particularly odious when attempting to diminish others at the same time.

It’s an exciting time with interoperability between systems meaning that people use multiple systems together well (MoTeC-Cosworth, Cosworth-VBOX and AiM-VBOX are the most common combos I look after and supply) to get the best out of each and supply all of what my clients are looking for the best possible way.

I hope the OP gets to a solution and I’m sure, between Matt, Bob and I, we can handle it.

I think you read something into this that wasn't there. I would consider any of the dealers that regularly post on RL like you, Jerry, and Bob to be AiM experts. Some of us have more experience with specific parts and different backgrounds (I think Jerry is the only actual engineer?), but we all know the systems, what they can do, how to work with them, and the software well.

Everyone makes decisions on how to run their business. I've decided for me, it's best to know, carry significant stock, and work in depth with one. You've chosen something different.. I was simply posting the decisions that I've made. I choose to support AiM customers, whether mine of someone else's. That's why I posted up my personal cell phone here to help out the folks who aren't happy. Hopefully I can help them out with their system to get them what they want (besides an app - I'm not an iOS developer).

mglobe 06-05-2019 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by ProCoach (Post 15887661)
Hahaha! Matt, I think you’ve painted yourself into a “corner of excellence” in this thread. ;)

Again, there is no system that does everything the ideal system for most would encompass.

Having been one of the top two or three dealers for AiM for almost a decade, the top dealer for Racelogic’s Motorsport line of products, the first dealer for the Apex Pro (because it embodies the main thesis and methodology of my most effective work coaching drivers), the second dealer for a RaceVoice (now available in a simple add on kit for Solo 2 DL’s for audible coaching prompts) and now getting into the exciting new world of Cosworth because of it’s widespread use integrated by Porsche, Aston Martin and others in their factory race cars, the broad range of application and utility of these systems is known to me.

The NUMBER one reason why people call me is to investigate what might be the best system for THEM, because they know I have no blind allegiance to one system over the other. Makes for more satisfied customers.

As Joe Hullett has so aptly said, “these aren’t just blister pack products you hand over the counter, they have to be supported.”

Most of the people I talk to just want the equipment they buy to work, and to offer the features and performance the equipment manufacturers promise. That’s it. The idea the a dealer is committed to “excellence” in one product line is pretty easy, I know plenty of people like that all over the country for specific systems. It’s the multi line dealers that really excel, however. Dave and Ellen Ferguson, Chris Brown, Colin Harmer and the list goes on and on.

Bottom line is that those of us who are among the highest performing dealers for AiM have been tested, over and over again. From vaporware presented at PRI only to be delivered 7, 15 or even 23 months later to firmware updates issued the Friday before a big race weekend that breaks things that worked well before, it is a challenge to ride along with the growing pains of even a good, well meaning company. And their stuff is a really good value. I believe in it and use it myself. Every day...

All of the manufacturers have challenges, as this is not simple stuff and the hardware/software linkages are easily disturbed. The OP has a valid complaint, for sure. It’s important that we all listen and seek answers, rather than boast blind faith and allegiance, particularly odious when attempting to diminish others at the same time.

It’s an exciting time with interoperability between systems meaning that people use multiple systems together well (MoTeC-Cosworth, Cosworth-VBOX and AiM-VBOX are the most common combos I look after and supply) to get the best out of each and supply all of what my clients are looking for the best possible way.

I hope the OP gets to a solution and I’m sure, between Matt, Bob and I, we can handle it.

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski (Post 15888195)
I think you read something into this that wasn't there. I would consider any of the dealers that regularly post on RL like you, Jerry, and Bob to be AiM experts. Some of us have more experience with specific parts and different backgrounds (I think Jerry is the only actual engineer?), but we all know the systems, what they can do, how to work with them, and the software well.

Everyone makes decisions on how to run their business. I've decided for me, it's best to know, carry significant stock, and work in depth with one. You've chosen something different.. I was simply posting the decisions that I've made. I choose to support AiM customers, whether mine of someone else's. That's why I posted up my personal cell phone here to help out the folks who aren't happy. Hopefully I can help them out with their system to get them what they want (besides an app - I'm not an iOS developer).

:evilgrin:

ProCoach 06-05-2019 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by mglobe (Post 15888296)

:evilgrin:

Hah!

Matt Romanowski 06-05-2019 02:40 PM

You can pick who is which character

mglobe 06-05-2019 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski (Post 15888329)
You can pick who is which character

https://youtu.be/kTcRRaXV-fg

I don’t know...

gtreddy 06-05-2019 03:11 PM

I too agree the iPhone app was a decision maker for me to purchase the Solo2DL and is a must have. However, 14 months after my purchase, and it's still nowhere to be find is more than a little disappointed. I tried Circuit Tool app and was using HLT with external GPS+GoPro. I like both especially when pull the session data from HLT into CircuitTool app, it will show me the virtual best (by sector) within each session so I know how much I had left on the table given each session's condition. I was hoping I can do the same using Aim app with Solo2DL (and SmartyCam eventually), but that seems like just a dream in the near future (at least this season if you ask me!).

BTW, from you expect here, how do I see a "virtual best lap" (either within the session or within a day) in RS3 if it's available?

It's under the "Split Times Report". It will give you your best theoretical lap and best rolling lap. Here is a link to the youtube video explaining how to use it.

EDIT: Didn't realize how late I was posting this haha. I don't think this specific video was linked, so I'll leave it up.

ProCoach 06-05-2019 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by mglobe (Post 15888386)
I don’t know...

:thumbsup:

Matt Romanowski 06-05-2019 03:28 PM

Might be more like this

LandShark 06-05-2019 03:46 PM

Thank you guys for the split time and virtual best information. This really helps especially when use to compare with others driver. :thumbup:

Matt Romanowski 10-21-2019 03:53 PM

For anyone following this, AiM recently said the app will be out in December. I won't promise that date, but it is what they have said publicly.

ProCoach 10-21-2019 04:17 PM

We'll see… I think we'll see the PDM before the iOS app. If the app comes out, I hope it'll be for quick, limited review, like on the screenshots from the Solo 2 release a few years ago.

Would love to have it. Was talking to some folks today at Chin about it here at VIR. The easier it is to access the information quickly and simply, the more value people will get out of the information.

Matt Romanowski 10-21-2019 05:18 PM

I don't believe you hopes will be satisfied from what I've seen and was told in Italy, but I could be wrong. As you know, the screen shots from years ago were not accurate.

PDM - no comment on when you'll see it. It's a cool piece of kit as it sits right now...

ProCoach 10-21-2019 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski (Post 16181092)
I don't believe you hopes will be satisfied from what I've seen and was told in Italy, but I could be wrong. As you know, the screen shots from years ago were not accurate.

Make up your mind, Matt. On one post, you boast of a full-featured iOS app. On this one, you downplay the likelihood of even seeing simple speed versus distance graphs.

I don't know that the screenshots from years ago are not accurate, I assume that's what they WANT to do. I would hope they would follow through.

The job list is long. Like their hardware, I'll believe it when I see it. Vaporware doesn't get me excited, it makes me (along with current customers, prospective customers and the rest of the USAiM Sports staff) frustrated. But, you're a good cheerleader! ;)

I remain hopeful...