Notices

VBox HD2: OLED predictive lap timing

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 02:55 PM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Default VBox HD2: OLED predictive lap timing

Anyone use this? I loaded the file, OLED display confirmed... but then the lap seemed 4-5secs off (almost like it was referencing the out-lap/first lap on the .vbo and not the fastest lap)

The Racelogic manual isnt particularly clear.. but I think the process is:

1. Find the .vbo file that contains the reference lap you want to use
2. Rename the file to OLED.REF
3. Copy to root of the SD card
4. Load the file/lap from the OLED menu option

My questions are:
The .vbo file contains many laps - does the HD2 simply select the fastest from the OLED.REF file or the first? (my experience appeared like it selected the first/out-lap: -4-5secs behind through the first corner)

Can you trim the file such that it only contains a single lap? (eg - what if you dont want the fastest, but a "cleaner" lap as reference)

Thanks
Matty

Old 02-16-2019, 05:08 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Odd, shouldn't have to trim sessions.

I would remove the SD card and clear the OLED.

https://racelogic.support/02VBOX_Mot...ive_Lap_Timing
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-17-2019, 07:59 AM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never heard of loading a reference lap from a previously recorded session. My understanding is that you need to save a fast lap as a reference lap to the SD card from the OLED display. In other words, you must set the fast lap and then, at some point in the day before resetting the times, save the reference lap from the OLED display to the SD card.
By simply renaming a prior full session, including multiple laps, I would guess the system may just be using the first lap in the session.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:40 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Well, let me find out!

This is a great feature of VBOX and MoTeC, for sure.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:44 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

if you cannot figure it out, let us know & we can get Paul from Racelogic to touch base with you.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:07 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

While the ability to use an old best lap is awesome, i find the days best lap much better to use, conditions outside, on track, tires, etc always play a big role.

you have to first save the reference lap from the OLED (afaik) and then it creates a file that can be used later

from the manual

Save reference lap. This feature allows the user to save a reference lap for future use. Insert an SD card into the Video VBOX unit, and use the menu options MENU > PREDICTIVE LAP SETTINGS > TRANSFER REF LAP TO VVB.

Note that the vehicle must be stationary to make this transfer.

Once this is selected, a message will show to confirm saving has been successful. This will be stored on the SD card as OLED.REF in the root directory.

Load reference lap

To load a reference lap file stored from a previous session, put the desired file onto the root directory of an SD card, and load the card into the Video VBOX unit. The file must be called OLED.REF. Select the menu options MENU > PREDICTIVE LAP SETTINGS > LOAD REF LAP FROM VVB.
Note that the vehicle must be stationary to make this transfer.

Reference laps will be reset when either a new start/finish is set, or if the ‘reset lap timing data’ option is selected from the lap timing menu within main menu.

so you could save different reference laps you will just have to keep track with a label and once you put it on the vbox card change the label to the oled.ref filename
Old 02-17-2019, 08:35 PM
matt33
Rennlist Member

It was a strange issue - the new lap appeared to load fine (OLED confirmed), but since you cant tell which lap from the saved session is being used its a little tricky unless you look at the lap time and the delta on the OLED vs what you know the lap time was on the saved file. As I said before it was particularly strange to lose 4-5secs at the first corner or 2 and then it was in-synch (very much like an out-lap was being referenced). Next step clear everything and double check the saved file before re-loading.

Wrt using a lap from the same day - agree that makes sense in many cases. Doesnt work as well if you are swapping seats with a pro driver/etc as it would require "fixing" the lap between sessions (all doable.. just a pita).
Old 02-25-2019, 01:39 AM
matt33
Rennlist Member

This worked: clear the lap first, then load from a prior session (as opposed to loading a new OLED.REF over the top of an existing one

Old 02-25-2019, 07:41 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Glad to hear!
Old 02-25-2019, 08:02 AM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by matt33
This worked: clear the lap first, then load from a prior session (as opposed to loading a new OLED.REF over the top of an existing one
what do you mean by "clear the first lap"? On the OLED? Did you then just rename and load the old file as you described above?
Old 02-25-2019, 08:24 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

You MUST clear the lap data in the OLED. It’s a separate processor, memory and reference than the HD2.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:06 AM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJP911

what do you mean by "clear the first lap"? On the OLED? Did you then just rename and load the old file as you described above?
there is an option in the OLED menu to “clear lap timing data” which resets all the lap timing data including the reference lap used for predictive timing. (It is in the main menu, not in the predicitve lap timing sub menu)

once you you have done this, it seems that loading a new reference lap named as OLED.REF then works correctly.

I think you you still need to “fix the lap” in order to prevent it being superceded by a new faster lap but haven’t tested that.

The predictive timer is good - though would be better if it used color or something easier to read while driving (the blue alloy version may have indicator lights as well as the time delta.

Matty
Old 02-27-2019, 02:48 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

There are four OLEDs. Two are for use with the VBOX Video units. One is a standalone Lap Timer (and standalone logger without video), this one has configurable LED’s to indicate predictive time gain or lost, thresholds for lateral g’s, longitudinal g’s and even gSum! The fourth one is a pit lane timer, popular for pro series that require minimum pit lane window times.

Quick Reply: VBox HD2: OLED predictive lap timing