Notices

AIM MXL Quick Start Guide? Firmware--RS 2 or 3?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 04:12 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default AIM MXL Quick Start Guide? Firmware--RS 2 or 3?

Now that the Xmas baking (22+ dozen cookies) is behind me, I can focus on what matters.
My SPB came with an old skool 2013 MXL Aim Dash.

I have a buddy who will help me with set-up but I'd like to do some prep work to make sure we use our time efficiently.

2 Questions:

1. Do you have a Quick-Start guide or check-list you could share please?

2. I'm using a 2015 Acer PC Windows 10 as my data laptop. With the old MXL, I'm guessing RS3 won't work. The MXL users manual says to download EVO. But is that still the correct firmware? Or should I try RS2?

OK whoops...a couple more.

3. Anyone who has used an MXL Dash, any hints/tips for efficient trackside use?

4. Would there be any compelling reasons to not use this MXL Dash data logger and instead use a SoloDL? (I already own a Solo DL.)

I'm running out of time before I have to transport the rig down to Sebring, so any help is much appreciated. Thx in adv.
A.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:20 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

For an MXL Pista https://www.aim-sportline.com/en/out...dash/index.htm you want RS2 for setup along with GPS Manager (assuming you have a GPS unit on it). For firmware, you want the updater from https://www.aim-sportline.com/en/other-fw-download.htm

The data you get from the MXL and the Solo DL would be very similar assuming both are connected to the ECU the same. Downloading and analysis will be the same. The benefit of the MXL is that it allows additional sensors, alarms, and the shift lights. The big predictive display on the Solo DL is nice though. Some folks run both just so they have the big predicitve.

If you're in a time pinch and have specific questions, call me and I'll help out. 603-674-3250 is my cell. Feel free to call from the track too. If it is setup and working, you will have an easy go if you're used to data from the Solo DL.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr911

2 Questions:

1. Do you have a Quick-Start guide or check-list you could share please?

2. I'm using a 2015 Acer PC Windows 10 as my data laptop. With the old MXL, I'm guessing RS3 won't work. The MXL users manual says to download EVO. But is that still the correct firmware? Or should I try RS2?

OK whoops...a couple more.

3. Anyone who has used an MXL Dash, any hints/tips for efficient trackside use?

4. Would there be any compelling reasons to not use this MXL Dash data logger and instead use a SoloDL? (I already own a Solo DL.)

I'm running out of time before I have to transport the rig down to Sebring, so any help is much appreciated. Thx in adv.
A.
Matt's given some good advice. I think we checked your firmware at VIR in the fall, so all good there.

You should download and install the latest version of RS3, which includes RS2, because you have a SmartyCam HD also. The MXL Pista uses RS2 to download data and configure. The SmartyCam uses RS3 for tracks and configs.

Download and install GPS Manager from here, it's not on the main site: http://www.aim-sportline.com/aim-sof...160826_WEB.exe

Before Sebring, but you can do it there:

1) connect to the MXL Pista from your computer using the 3.5mm plug-USB cable and with the MXL Pista powered up, open RS2, Select Download Data from the left side of the screen.

2) Clear all tests (session files) to start fresh

3) open GPS Manager, select United States from the countries under "Filter" and select Sebring, then click on the right facing arrow in the middle of the page to transmit to the MXL Pista Sebring coordinates for lap timing

4) Connect using a USB to Mini cable to the camera and send Sebring to the camera from RS3, the reason for this is to show lap times on the video and the map.

That's it.

Have fun!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 12-26-2018 at 08:11 PM. Reason: added detail
Old 12-27-2018, 11:07 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Greenfrog has very kindly offered to help me set up before I leave tomorrow.
Will do a dummy run this afternoon to get software for laptop and cables sorted out etc.

(I may hit either of you up by phone if it gets gnarled up. But only if there's no other way.)
Old 12-27-2018, 11:40 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dr911
THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Greenfrog has very kindly offered to help me set up before I leave tomorrow.
Will do a dummy run this afternoon to get software for laptop and cables sorted out etc.

(I may hit either of you up by phone if it gets gnarled up. But only if there's no other way.)
I can't speak for Peter, but all me before you are frustrated! Lots of times we can work through things really quick before you lose a bunch of time and patients. I'm around all day working on year end stuff, so feel free to call.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:47 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Greenfrog is one of the best!

You’re in good hands.

When do you leave?
Old 12-27-2018, 11:39 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Matt-- what a generous offer! TY!
Peter-- yes G's exceptionally competent for a non-pro. Thanks for the info on my firmware and for getting it cued up for me. Leaving tomorrow.

One thing I haven't been able to get tofay is how to attach the unit to the OBD to pick up gas/brake pressures.

(PS--Downloads for RS3 and GPS Manager were completed without any fuss.
I like your point about seeking help before a switch flips...will heed your wise counsel.)
Old 12-28-2018, 08:00 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You can hook the K Line up wire in the MXL Pista harness to pin 7 of the OBDII connector, but that data is pretty slow and not usable for much in my experience. You would be better off hooking up external sensors and the RPM wire from the MXL to the car.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:10 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Dr911, while the 2002 and newer Boxsters can get throttle position, water temp, RPM, brake on/off and other measures from CAN using 911(996) AiM protocol to the cluster, and really well, too, the SPB cars are too early for that.

For the SPB setups that I’ve sold, I recommend a string pot for throttle position (and I think there may be a 0-5V possible from the car) and a single brake pressure sensor on the front circuit at the output of the master cylinder. As Matt says, RPM from the tach lead to the cluster directly to the MXL works great, but you already have that and it works fine.

Have GF take a look, we never dug deep back in September, so some stuff might be there. Another nice present to yourself when you come back from Sebring!
Old 12-29-2018, 10:39 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Dr911

I'll be at PBOC and PCA events in Sebring so if you get stuck need help you can call my cell 941 228 8964

Jerry
Old 01-02-2019, 12:36 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=MattRomanowski;]
If you're in a time pinch and have specific questions, call me and I'll help out. 603-674-3250 is my cell. Feel free to call from the track too. If it is setup and working, you will have an easy go if you're used to data from the Solo DL.[QUOTE]

THANK YOU Matt for taking my call and staying on the phone forEVER! Your talking us through the cable tracing to the USB was life-saving, and your knowledge/experience/familiarity with systems across the board was exceptional!

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Dr911, while the 2002 and newer Boxsters can get throttle position, water temp, RPM, brake on/off and other measures from CAN using 911(996) AiM protocol to the cluster, and really well, too, the SPB cars are too early for that.

For the SPB setups that I’ve sold, I recommend a string pot for throttle position (and I think there may be a 0-5V possible from the car) and a single brake pressure sensor on the front circuit at the output of the master cylinder. As Matt says, RPM from the tach lead to the cluster directly to the MXL works great, but you already have that and it works fine.

Have GF take a look, we never dug deep back in September, so some stuff might be there. Another nice present to yourself when you come back from Sebring!

Thanks Peter, VERY valuable info! I really appreciate your reaching out and supporting me through this process...and YES there was some data from my October runs so that was truly a nice surprise!
While in Sebring (84F!!!) I had a chance to play around with it a bit -- I must say GF is truly a Whiz-Kid when it comes to tech stuff and he was able to show me things in a way that I'd never understood before.
Also I enjoyed a very lovely Bento lunch...!

Jerry, thanks for the contact. I will be there at PBOC and 48 HRS so may ping you if I run into a glitch.

HNY everyone!

Quick Reply: AIM MXL Quick Start Guide? Firmware--RS 2 or 3?