Old 12-04-2018, 11:25 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts
Default AiM released the shift light module!

It's actually shipping and will be in the next release of RS3. I'll post up the spec sheet and info when I'm on the computer in a bit. I'm excited to get one in my car with the MXP.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:27 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Wish it worked with the MXL2, MXS and MXG, as well as the EVO5, but for the v1.2 stuff, Solo 2 DL, MXm and the newest dashes, it'll be cool!

The firmware and software update are done 3.27.00, but the product will ship soon...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-04-2018, 05:34 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Wish it worked with the MXL2, MXS and MXG, as well as the EVO5, but for the v1.2 stuff, Solo 2 DL, MXm and the newest dashes, it'll be cool!

The firmware and software update are done 3.27.00, but the product will ship soon...
It does work with the MXL2, MXS rev 1 and MXG rev 1. I don't believe it will work with the S2DL or the MXm (didn't when I looked earlier today). I don't expect it to be added to those devices, but I could be wrong.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

My fast mind got caught out by my slow typing fingers! Thanks for catching that.

Of course the SLM works with most if not all of the post November 2015 release hardware as DUPLICATES of the dash shift lights.

I meant to say, that as a coaching tool, the ability with the latest hardware (MXS 1.2, MXG 1.2 and MXP), to use the SLM as a coaching tool, a real-time, visual indicator of gain (green LED) or loss (red LED) while the dash indicates shift lights separately, is really valuable.

But I do understand that the hardware may be the limiting factor for some current production pieces trying to use the SLM this way.

As you point out, it’s useful for folks who can’t see shift lights through their steering wheel or is to low in relation to the dash.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:39 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

My fast mind got caught out by my slow typing fingers! Thanks for catching that.

Of course the SLM works with most if not all of the post November 2015 release hardware as DUPLICATES of the dash shift lights.

I meant to say, that as a coaching tool, the ability with the latest hardware (MXS 1.2, MXG 1.2 and MXP), to use the SLM as a coaching tool, a real-time, visual indicator of gain (green LED) or loss (red LED) while the dash indicates shift lights separately, is really valuable.

But I do understand that the hardware may be the limiting factor for some current production pieces trying to use the SLM this way.

As you point out, it’s useful for folks who can’t see shift lights through their steering wheel or is to low in relation to the dash.
Right. Like I posted on FB to clarify, the SLM when used with the MXS or MXG 1.2 and MXP, can operate as shift lights or predictive timing. The same is true for the lights on the dash, so they do not have to be the same. I would think the predictive would be more useful on the dash for people who can see it, but YMMV.

The MXS and MXG Rev 1 along with MXL2, Evo4s, and Evo5 manufactured up to this point will not have predictive time function as it's a hardware problem. The MXL2, Evo4s, and Evo5 may or may not have the new hardware adapted to them to allow that on new units. I can ask that at PRI.

The S2DL and MXm certainly have the power to use the SLM, but I do not expect they will allow them to use the SLM for product differentiation (my guess).

There has been A LOT of behind the scenes architecture changes to allow the SLM to work with devices and make the whole family of loggers and peripherals more user friendly and adaptable. I'm waiting on the GS Dash being integrated with the MXP (same for the MXS and MXG 1.2). I'm going to have quite the setup going with an MXP, GS Dash, and SLM (plus 6 CE, 2 LCU One, countless data hubs, GPS08, 2 CAN buses, and more).
Old 12-05-2018, 05:46 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

So to be clear, I have a 3 year-old MXL2 and a 2 year-old Evo4S. Will the SLM work as shift lights for those two units, but the predictive stuff will not? I can live with that, and it would be nice to replace my aging Shift-I Shift Light with the AiM SLM. Do we have a price yet??

Toby
Old 12-05-2018, 08:29 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
So to be clear, I have a 3 year-old MXL2 and a 2 year-old Evo4S. Will the SLM work as shift lights for those two units, but the predictive stuff will not? I can live with that, and it would be nice to replace my aging Shift-I Shift Light with the AiM SLM. Do we have a price yet??

Toby
Yes, it will work as a shift light on both of those devices. I do not have a price yet (but I do have them on order). They are shipping next week from Italy and to dealers right after that.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
So to be clear, I have a 3 year-old MXL2 and a 2 year-old Evo4S. Will the SLM work as shift lights for those two units, but the predictive stuff will not?

Do we have a price yet??

Toby
Correct.

Price is $189
Old 12-06-2018, 03:41 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

So is this going to be the same as the solo2 predictive lights.....
aka overall laptime green red,
not realtime +/- , so at exit of turn 2 im 1 second down....red lights...get a better run out of 2 and gain time so only .2 slower than reference....goes green? (Vs staying red cause im still .2 down)

hope its latter but, still glad they are releasing it,
Old 12-06-2018, 04:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Der ABT
So is this going to be the same as the solo2 predictive lights.....
aka overall laptime green red,
not realtime +/- , so at exit of turn 2 im 1 second down....red lights...get a better run out of 2 and gain time so only .2 slower than reference....goes green? (Vs staying red cause im still .2 down)

hope its latter but, still glad they are releasing it,
Yes, you can run the SLM as a predictive LED in plus or minus .1 second increments (one through five LED’s, all previous stay lit or go on or off one at a time) in addition to the dash logger shiftlights on only the three dashes that support that function natively. MXS 1.2, MXG 1.2 and MXP, as far as I know.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:05 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I have the first one in the wild. Nice aluminum housing, great function, overall nice piece of kit.

I don't have the software in front of me, but I believe you can select the predictive time increments. It was default .1 seconds which is probably good for most people.

Saw RS3 Analysis as it sits today. Some GREAT new features!
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2018, 09:17 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski

Old 12-06-2018, 09:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mglobe

Old 12-06-2018, 09:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I have the first one in the wild. Nice aluminum housing, great function, overall nice piece of kit.

I don't have the software in front of me, but I believe you can select the predictive time increments. It was default .1 seconds which is probably good for most people.

Yes, like the S2DL, the MXm and the dashes that allow the choice between predictive and shift lights, I’ve confirmed in RS3 that when the SLM CAN be used for this function, that the the predictive intervals are completely adjustable in .1 increments.

I started setting up the S2DL’s at .2 intervals because that offered a plus/minus spread of one second. Then. I switched from having the LED’s showing less than the current variance staying lit to having only the current interval LED on, so not only was it color sensitive, but position sensitive without the distraction of LOTS of LED’s flashing and looking like a Christmas tree.

Does RS3 Analysis (which is not yet in beta) show synced video yet, or any video at all within the Analysis window? That’s all most of the folks I talk to want to know...
Old 12-06-2018, 09:47 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Does RS3 Analysis (which is not yet in beta) show synced video yet, or any video at all within the Analysis window? That’s all most of the folks I talk to want to know...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AiM released the shift light module!