Notices

Solo 2 DL config for autocross / point-to-point

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 12:46 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Solo 2 DL config for autocross / point-to-point

Has anyone successfully configured a Solo 2 DL to work for autocross or point-to-point type events? I can't find any useful user manuals or "how-to" documents for the Solo 2 DL which allow me to put it into a manual mode where I can define start and end points for a non-circuit. I've found several docs for the Solo and Solo DL which suggest you can go into the device menu and race mode configuration to set it for point-to-point functionality. That doesn't appear to exist on my device (firmware updated this morning). My only options are "speed" or "performance" and only under "performance" are there any secondary options for what specific "type".

I've read through the user manual for creating new tracks and then followed over to the track manager manual for creating new tracks, but it only seems to apply to circuits with the same start and end point. I can't find any other data or options in the device or RaceStudio3. My next step is to email tech support at AiM, but I thought I'd ask here just in case someone can point to the obvious answer that I'm missing.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:53 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

David Ferguson from Veracity Racing Data has a great YouTube video on this. I don't have it right now to share .
Old 11-06-2018, 06:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,327 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Old 11-06-2018, 07:49 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
That's it.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:36 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This is the feedback I received from AiM
Yes, the configuration of a point to point style track would be done through the GPS track management. You would need the coordinates for the start and the finish line and change the circuit type to "Open Circuit".
This is in regard to defining a point-to-point course.

For some context, I'm currently sitting on a gigantic concrete pad and I have some cones. I'm developing validation tests for our AWD products, but wanted to throw up a rough "course" that my employee can go run for 'driver training' when we're between tests. For a lot of racing circuits the GPS data already exists and you just set the triggers and start driving. It sorts itself out and you can see your lap times, delta ± to best, etc. I was hoping there was a convenient way for me to pre-drive the course to define the path, and then run it once to set a target "best lap" time.

It's looking like the correct path of action is to go drive my desired course, but make sure to loop back to the start line so the logger automatically flags it as a complete circuit. Then open the track manager in RS3, chop it up as required, and load it back into the device as a new "track" which it can then automatically find, load, and log. That doesn't seem overly difficult, but not quite what I was expecting.

That video will be very useful when it comes to post-processing the data and analyzing consistency, so thank you for the link.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:39 AM
NJohnston28
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby921
Has anyone successfully configured a Solo 2 DL to work for autocross or point-to-point type events? I can't find any useful user manuals or "how-to" documents for the Solo 2 DL which allow me to put it into a manual mode where I can define start and end points for a non-circuit. I've found several docs for the Solo and Solo DL which suggest you can go into the device menu and race mode configuration to set it for point-to-point functionality. That doesn't appear to exist on my device (firmware updated this morning). My only options are "speed" or "performance" and only under "performance" are there any secondary options for what specific "type".

I've read through the user manual for creating new tracks and then followed over to the track manager manual for creating new tracks, but it only seems to apply to circuits with the same start and end point. I can't find any other data or options in the device or RaceStudio3. My next step is to email tech support at AiM, but I thought I'd ask here just in case someone can point to the obvious answer that I'm missing.

i would private message you, but apparently you have to pay for this ‘privledge’ oh well. Anyway I was wondering if you ever figured out how to easily create a “point to point” track. I recently picked up this dash and playing with it some I believe I have a way but wanted to check and see if your way was any better.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:03 PM
4ptss
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone ever figure out how to use this for autoX? I have messed with it in a parking lot and it makes no sense when I try to do a point to point course. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Solo 2 DL config for autocross / point-to-point