Notices

Aim Solo 2/D-- Kinks out yet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 01:47 PM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Aim Solo 2/D-- Kinks out yet?

I'm really interested in picking up a Solo 2 DL, but I have three friends who own one and none of them can get it working properly. I had heard there were some teething issues early on; I'm curious if they've been addressed and resolved? Also, I can't find any thorough reviews of the Solo 2 online, either in video or written form. I'm wondering if this is because they aren't working yet. Anybody have any input?
Old 10-12-2018, 02:11 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

I think their are a lot out there. There have been some ECU protocol problems, but most have been fixed very quickly after being reported. I think it's a great unit and my customers have been happy.

What problems are your friends having?
Old 10-12-2018, 02:31 PM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Two of them couldn't get them working at all, but they were early adopters and I haven't followed up to see if they could get them working subsequently. The other couldn't get any data to record. I assume it was an ECU compatibility issue.

The old Solo was so simple and it just worked. I was really hoping this one would be the same way but it looks like the roll out hasn't been as seamless as it could have been.

Also, I've been told the unit doesn't automatically assign your fastest lap as the reference lap for the predictive function, which would seem the logical way to do it. Has this been changed?
Old 10-12-2018, 03:16 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Laertes
Two of them couldn't get them working at all, but they were early adopters and I haven't followed up to see if they could get them working subsequently. The other couldn't get any data to record. I assume it was an ECU compatibility issue.

The old Solo was so simple and it just worked. I was really hoping this one would be the same way but it looks like the roll out hasn't been as seamless as it could have been.

Also, I've been told the unit doesn't automatically assign your fastest lap as the reference lap for the predictive function, which would seem the logical way to do it. Has this been changed?
Fast lap is still the reference. That's set in Analysis, not the logger. Maybe the person who told you was thinking of the option to have the +/- to the best lap be the best of the session or day. It's a great feature.

The Solo 2 is just like the old one, but improved. If people can't get it to work correctly, they should get in touch with their dealer or AiM and correct their issues. The units are great!
Old 10-12-2018, 03:18 PM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Thanks Matt.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by Laertes

There are a few reasons why the rollout hasn’t been without bumps. One was the standard hardware-release-before-the-bugs-were-worked-out, resulting in poor battery life, unresponsive units, errant timing info, et cetera. The second was that the default way to start logging was by VEHICLE SPEED instead of GPS SPEED being the trigger, and when the unit didn’t get that information, it didn’t record. Both of these issues have been addressed.

As far as the reference lap goes, a new feature has been added allowing predicted time and plus/minus to be gauged off of not only the best lap of the session (same as the old unit), but also best lap THAT DAY. Really useful for when you have a coach in the car and want to reference off a faster driver and see where you’re losing the most.

If you want one with the best support, there are a few here that can help, including me. I’ve sold dozens and have had few issues.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:10 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach

If you want one with the best support, there are a few here that can help, including me. I’ve sold dozens and have had few issues.
Same experience. Once I figured out the speed trigger, I haven't had any problems.

Quick Reply: Aim Solo 2/D-- Kinks out yet?