Notices

Help me instrument my 986 RC

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 12:52 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Help me instrument my 986 RC

I have switched cars to a 986RC and am thinking about the data system for that car for next season - a winter project.
I like the analog gauge set, so I don't want to do a full digital dash; however, I do want to instrument the car as much as reasonable to trigger alarms and log data.
I also want lap/race data logging.

Thus, I'll probably use an AIM system with a screen (TBD) mounted by the left center vent aiming towards the driver - like the typical (GT4) Clubsport MoTec setup.

Since the 986 does not have CAN bus, I will have to add sensors to the system.
I'm looking for pointers on which sensors, and for each, what is the easiest/most convenient place/way to add them and 'tap in' to the respective fluid circuit.
Here is my list so far - all comments and suggestions welcome:

RPM (where to most easily fond the pule signal wire)
Throttle Pedal Position (what type of sensor and where/how to mount)
Brake Pressure (where/how to tap in and mount the P sensor)
Coolant temp
Engine Oil Pressure
Engine Oil Temperture
Transmission Oil Temp (I will be installing a TuneRS xmission oil cooler)
Battery Voltage
Power Steering fluid temp (cooler installed).
Old 10-10-2018, 12:57 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

Voltage is done off the power supply to the dash, so no sensor needed there.

Someone in the forum posted up a nice banjo bolt to use for the brake pressures. That's a nice solution if you don't want to just use a T.

Standard temp sensors are either 1/8NPT or M10. It's sometimes easiest to add them with a hose adapter.

One the Boxster, some of the other senders were m14 or m19 (can't remember). You can gut them, drill and tap the base or buy a drain plug for another car and drill and tap that.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:09 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

I just realized the K-line (OBDII) gives me the following:

ECU_1 OBDII_RPM RPM
ECU_2 OBDII_SPEED Speed
ECU_3 OBDII_ECT Engine coolant temperature
ECU_4 OBDII_TPS Throttle position sensor
ECU_5 OBDII_IAT Intake air temperature
ECU_6 OBDII_MAP Manifold air pressure
ECU_7 OBDII_MAF Manifold air flow
ECU_8 OBDII_FUEL_LEV Fuel level
ECU_9 OBDII_PPS Pedal position sensor

I wouldn't use that for data that needs quick update rates (RPM, PPS); but I can certainly use it for the other available data (low update rate need) and save a few sensors.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,891 Posts

If you can use a mix (and I’d only do this on a 2002-on car) of K-Line and sensors, the MXm would do you.

If you want as many channels as you say, plus the expandability to add more in the future, the EVO4S/EVO5/GS-Dash is a good choice if you’re retaining conventional gauges but want programmable alarms.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:46 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProCoach
If you can use a mix (and I’d only do this on a 2002-on car) of K-Line and sensors, the MXm would do you.

If you want as many channels as you say, plus the expandability to add more in the future, the EVO4S/EVO5/GS-Dash is a good choice if you’re retaining conventional gauges but want programmable alarms.
It is a 2000; so MxM doesn't offer enough analog ins. I am not happy with the contrast/readability of the Solo DL or newer Solo 2 or MxM; I have compared them directly to my Solo DL and it is a marginal upgrade at best (in my opinion).
Thus, I am considering one of the TFT display dashes; although these are more expensive, they give me a much more readable display and also the possibility to use as a proper digital dash if I so choose in the future. I could also go completely nuts and use one of the TFT units as a proper digital dash and a G-Dash as an aux data display in the center vent position. All thoughts appreciated on this - I'm really undecided.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:15 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Starting with Brake pressure, can someone please suggest/advise on a proper T fitting to use with an AIM pressure sensor.

I assume that I 'T' off one of the outputs of the master cylinder. I am not sure of the size or gender of these connections.
Also, is the hard piping already in place pliable enough to accommodate the insertion of a T at one end or do I need to redo the hard piping from the master cylinder to the ABS valve?
Old 10-11-2018, 03:53 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

Nice solution in this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...r-adapter.html but it's for 10mm bubble. You could use the T that Jerry links.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:17 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

I was playing around on RS3 last night looking at the various display templates for the various dash/loggers.

For someone with older eyes who likes just a few large number (predictive lap mainly); it seems like the MxM/GSDash offer such a view.
However, the TFT displays don't seem to have such a minimalist and large font display available.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to edit the display templates?
Old 10-12-2018, 10:20 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dbbarron
I was playing around on RS3 last night looking at the various display templates for the various dash/loggers.

For someone with older eyes who likes just a few large number (predictive lap mainly); it seems like the MxM/GSDash offer such a view.
However, the TFT displays don't seem to have such a minimalist and large font display available.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to edit the display templates?
Nope. Not right now. One of the reasons why I sell so many separate logger/display systems right now is because presbyopia is prettt common to my target market!

I have an open box MoTeC C125 with GPS, race loom, I/O enabled, Pro logging enabled and Display Creator enabled (the last a $600 option) for a substantial discount. This is one of the reasons why I sell MoTeC. The display templates are COMPLETELY customizable, and that’s a big enough deal for enough folks to make it a worthwhile option.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:43 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

So in the world of AIM, the lower tech, old-school LCD display is in implementation better for those with less than perfect vision than a modern high contrast TFT display!

I have to wonder if the improved contrast/brightness of the TFT displays makes the smaller digits more readable compared to one of the traditional LCD units.
Last weekend I tried out a MxM and could read down to the 4 variable display size comfortably wearing my driving glasses. Unfortunately, I have not had opportunity to try the MXS/P/G similarly.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dbbarron
So in the world of AIM, the lower tech, old-school LCD display is in implementation better for those with less than perfect vision than a modern high contrast TFT display!

I have to wonder if the improved contrast/brightness of the TFT displays makes the smaller digits more readable compared to one of the traditional LCD units.
Last weekend I tried out a MxM and could read down to the 4 variable display size comfortably wearing my driving glasses. Unfortunately, I have not had opportunity to try the MXS/P/G similarly.
I think there are benefits to the TFT displays that are different from the character size implementation of the LCD units. If you can see the four field MXm, you won’t have an issue with any of the choices...
Old 10-15-2018, 12:24 AM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a MXL2 previously and could read all the data numbers displayed, recently replaced with a color MXS and cannot read most of the data including predictive time. Now I have to wear glasses in order to read my MXS
Old 10-15-2018, 09:45 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bkovac
I had a MXL2 previously and could read all the data numbers displayed, recently replaced with a color MXS and cannot read most of the data including predictive time. Now I have to wear glasses in order to read my MXS
Exactly my concern. I'm thinking MxM or EVO5 (I want Wifi). Someone convince me to spend double the $$ on the Evo5 config.
The MxM just makes it for me on inputs; but there is a good possibility I will never need more inputs.
Other benefits to the GSDash+Evo5 over MxM for me?
Old 10-15-2018, 10:07 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

If the MXm meets your maximum expansion (channels and accessories) requirements, go for it.

I sell far more MXm’s for cars like yours than the separate loggers/displays. That said, if folks have ANY question on the unltimate AiM (pun intended ) of their system in these cars, they usually end up with an MXL2. But the MXm has maximum value and fits your needs.

I have an EVO5/GS-Dash in my car, but I’ve got shock pots, tire temps and even several other systems (MoTeC, VBOX and Racepak CL1) in the car, too.

Go with the MXm, as suggested earlier in the thread. It fits your needs and the display is the right size.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:26 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Installing a GSDash, EVO5 setup.

I want to mount the GSDash just to the right of the dash pod over the left vent/hazard switch.
I fabricated both a backplate for the GSdash and a mount that will slide between the HVAC control module and vent.
It will be secured to the vent. There is a 5mm slot available to insert the support.

I elected to use a 1" ball to terminate each piece and will join them with a short RAM brand 1" ball arm.

Here's some pics of the 3D renderings. I've fab'd prototypes out of ABS and they seem sufficiently strong.

I'll post more pics as it progresses.

Quick Reply: Help me instrument my 986 RC