Notices

Apex Pro lights and Smarty Cam HD

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 11:24 AM
mlct
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Apex Pro lights and Smarty Cam HD

I have just started trying out an Apex Pro with my Android and AIM setup. Trying to figure out if all the lights are showing on my video or not and what, if anything to do with this data.

Does anyone know if all the lights should be showing? Sometimes they do but rarely with usually the last 3-4 not showing.

Video from Watkins Glen

Android screen shot

Old 10-02-2018, 11:59 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

They won't always show. If it's green all the way to the end the lit lights, it is saying you're getting all the available grip according to it's algorithm. If there are red, it is saying you have more grip available you're not using. The lights left at the end that are unlit are because not all corners only allow the same total G level due to variances in the track banking, grip level, topography, etc.

It's a more complex answer than that, but it gives you the idea in a nutshell.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,655 Posts

The app and the manual are very good, now. Andrew Rains will respond almost immediately. He has some very good videos, too.

I was a very early adopter of this device and it's terrific for those who learn how to use it.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-02-2018, 04:23 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The app and the manual are very good, now. Andrew Rains will respond almost immediately. He has some very good videos, too.

I was a very early adopter of this device and it's terrific for those who learn how to use it.
And then theirs me who can't get the lights to show up on a SCHD video I had one of the earliest versions w/o GPS in it and Andrew kindly traded it out to the newest hardware revision. I believe Joris still has his without the GPS.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:24 PM
mlct
Instructor

Matt and Peter,

Thanks very much for your advice. Watched some of the videos early on and will go back to them now that I have one to play with.

Mark
Old 10-02-2018, 05:44 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

They had one from HMS that wasn't the best quality video, but explained things pretty well. It was a FB live event if I remember right.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:24 AM
mlct
Instructor

Just watched the HMS session and other videos. Will keep fooling around with it and comparing it to my AIM data. For me it will be more useful when more features are on the Android app. Fun to watch the lights...on video on video!

I had seen your post about video issues which was why I asked my initial question. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:35 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mlct
I had seen your post about video issues which was why I asked my initial question. Good luck.
Perhaps you saw my post that that was not my experience. So much so I went and tested it the moment I saw Matt’s post. With no issues...

There has been some “flickering” on TFT instrument clusters on SmartyCams, if the brightness of the OEM dash was anything less than full bright. I wonder if that was Matt’s original issue?

I’ve got about five dozen Apex Pros out that are video’d with motec v2, AiM SCHD and VBOX Lite and HD2, with no issues.

It’s a good augment to a data system or can be used standalone. The iOS app has benefited from much longer development, but the Android app is catching up.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:08 PM
mlct
Instructor

Peter,

Yes, I saw your post so I went ahead and bought one to try out. Thought I was having an issue but clearly do not. It will be a good addition to give some hints. It would really be great for someone without a full data system but still good to point me in some different directions in my data.

Last edited by mlct; 10-04-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mlct
Peter,

Yes, I saw your post so I went ahead and bought one to try out. Thought I was having an issue but clearly do not. It will be a good addition to give some hints. It would really be great for someone with a full data system but still good to point me in some different directions in my data.
It will. For those who don't want to bring a laptop to the track and use a phone or a tablet, this is more than enough. Especially now that the app is reasonably well developed.

Quick Reply: Apex Pro lights and Smarty Cam HD