Notices

VBox HD2 Tire Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 01:49 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts
Default VBox HD2 Tire Temperature

This looks pretty cool. Not much info how it is installed but looks like from the picture that it goes inside the wheel well?

Name:  photo23.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  73.9 KB

Seems to be available soon?
Old 06-16-2018, 02:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

The picture on the bottom is the Racelogic CAN based set up, 60 or 120 FOV, with a custom harness and available late July for $2560

The picture on the top are single channel analog sensors, usable with the MicroInput module, about $900

Last edited by ProCoach; 06-16-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:44 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

The micro input does not have enough channels, and I don't see a way to chain many of them together? How are they interfacing it?
Old 06-16-2018, 03:40 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
The micro input does not have enough channels, and I don't see a way to chain many of them together? How are they interfacing it?
Just one channel per corner, 0-5V analog sensors.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:48 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Pricing probably to be between 2500-3K for the setup... Happened to speak to them yesterday about the camera extension rods that were on their website.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I'll stock a setup for the HD2.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-02-2018, 05:09 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I'll stock a setup for the HD2.
Definitely pricey but critical info to understand contact patches, what the tires are doing in relation to the data and because I have zero ability to manage my tires. I mean less than zero tire management skills. Plus the simplicity of the setup combined with video overlay looks really impressive...
Old 08-02-2018, 06:40 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
Pricing probably to be between 2500-3K for the setup... Happened to speak to them yesterday about the camera extension rods that were on their website.
Pricing is $2560 for all that is needed. As a kit.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:51 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I've been a proponent of this type of data for a long time and there are a bunch of threads on this that I've posted. I would argue that TPMS is on the same level if you want to learn about tire behavior and performance.

Is that graphic rendered real time or done after the fact? I know the other videos from Izze that look like that are not simple and involve Matlab outputs and lots of video editing. Not something that is done during the day of the event. I've found that the hard numbers are much more useful when looking at tire temps than just the video.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Matt, that's the beauty of this system.

Caleb and Jim worked together to have the IR temp information delivered by CAN to the HD2 and updated as quickly as can be rendered real-time on the video.

Because the processors are much more powerful than the SCHD, and the native resolution is 1920x1080, and the tire temps are available in strip charts auto-synced with the video, you can see cause and effect very accurately.

If you want to manipulate the raw data in a more powerful way, there is the incredible VBOX Test Suite, which allows the data to be examined deeply and in concert with other vehicle CAN data.

Caleb's original videos were hard because he was using Dashware and had to build the gauges and overlays, then render after the fact. This avoids all that.

So yes, it's a more coordinated effort than the kit Caleb sells for MoTeC or AiM devices. It;s been tested on a number of IMSA cars in testing, works great.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:42 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Nice. The other way is not something the average person can do, so being able to do it real time with the HD2 is a big bonus.

Are the color schemes identifiable? There are some interesting looking temps on that video, but it would really depend on the range they are showing.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Nice. The other way is not something the average person can do, so being able to do it real time with the HD2 is a big bonus.

Are the color schemes identifiable? There are some interesting looking temps on that video, but it would really depend on the range they are showing.
The range and colors are completely customizable. Don't think the example video is the final form, just a proof of concept (fewer channels, may be analog sensors).

Looks like that RL is taking a beating!
Old 08-02-2018, 09:19 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The range and colors are completely customizable. Don't think the example video is the final form, just a proof of concept (fewer channels, may be analog sensors).

Looks like that RL is taking a beating!
Big time! The other's don't match my experience with IR tire temps, so it makes me curious. If they are accurate, it looks like there is a corner balance problem or a loaded swaybar.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Big time! The other's don't match my experience with IR tire temps, so it makes me curious. If they are accurate, it looks like there is a corner balance problem or a loaded swaybar.
And, of course, THAT'S why you measure... Am I right?

It's a FunCup car, who knows.... Honestly, I think they recorded it before they knew the proper ranges to expect. Who knows if each of the corners are equal? Looks like the FL and RR weren't working or set up.

But, the scene will fix all that and ensure all are equal and set correctly.

It's the simplest, most expedient solution and it will allow lap to lap and session to session visual and data comparison between drivers, setup and offer objective measures to gauge efffectiveness of changes, instantly.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:41 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

And, of course, THAT'S why you measure... Am I right?

It's a FunCup car, who knows.... Honestly, I think they recorded it before they knew the proper ranges to expect. Who knows if each of the corners are equal? Looks like the FL and RR weren't working or set up.

But, the scene will fix all that and ensure all are equal and set correctly.

It's the simplest, most expedient solution and it will allow lap to lap and session to session visual and data comparison between drivers, setup and offer objective measures to gauge efffectiveness of changes, instantly.
No doubt on the measuring, though I could argue on the best way to evaluate the data!

More important - I want to drive a fun FunCup pretty bad! Joris just got a couple of weeks ago. Maybe I have to make it to Belgium.

Quick Reply: VBox HD2 Tire Temperature