Notices

race keeper trouble shooting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 01:01 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default race keeper trouble shooting?

Searched their site, don't see any trouble shooting tips. System came installed in a car I bought... any help appreciated....

System keeps flashing red/green status light, indicating no GPS. But GPS is connected and installed...

Eventually, if I keep the "record" button pressed, it goes green and indicates its recording... for about 5 seconds. Then flashes that SD card is 100% full, even though its a new, blank card. I pop the card in my computer, it reads that the card is blank.

I have not tried to update newer software, or use the Comparo software as my PC compatible computer doesn't have an SD card reader. Working on that. I would still think any computer can tell you if there is something recorded on the SD card...

This is an older HE system, and I am not the original owner. Haven't had luck reaching Race Keeper when I tried to buy a power cord, plus I figure I am way out of any anticipated support time frame anyway. So, was hoping someone on here had some input?

Am I missing something? Does the SD card need to be somehow formatted by the system or computer first? Any reason the GPS flashes red/green even though its connected?

Thank you...
Old 05-02-2018, 01:59 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,854 Likes on 1,677 Posts

With the HE system the card does need to be formatted properly and there was a capacity limit early on. If the unit has not been updated, this is doubly important.

http://www.race-keeper.com/wp-conten...User-Guide.pdf
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-02-2018, 02:27 PM
bpu699

Thanks Peter, hoped you would chime in...

I read that PDF several times, it didn't mention formatting the SD card... Does this happen automatically when you are putting on your system preferences? I know it puts some files on there, but the PDF then says to "erase these files" once uploaded...

Will buy and SD card reader for my PC and then see what I can do...

Is "updating" the unit as simple as downloading the software and running it? Prior owner did say it hadn't been updated I a long time, and needed to be... Website says "don't upload" newer software without being directed to do so by Race-Keeper... Does something bad happen?

My understanding is that this system was working a year ago, not used since. I would think it would still work on old software, no?

Any input greatly appreciated.

Bo
Old 05-02-2018, 02:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by bpu699
Thanks Peter, hoped you would chime in...

I read that PDF several times, it didn't mention formatting the SD card... Does this happen automatically when you are putting on your system preferences? I know it puts some files on there, but the PDF then says to "erase these files" once uploaded...

Will buy and SD card reader for my PC and then see what I can do...

Is "updating" the unit as simple as downloading the software and running it? Prior owner did say it hadn't been updated I a long time, and needed to be... Website says "don't upload" newer software without being directed to do so by Race-Keeper... Does something bad happen?

My understanding is that this system was working a year ago, not used since. I would think it would still work on old software, no?

Any input greatly appreciated.

Bo
Bo, make sure the card you use is SMALLER than 32 GB. FAT32 is the required format, larger cards don't come that way.

If the old owner thought it needed to be updated, they must have thought something was up.

http://www.race-keeper.com/downloads/

Scroll down to HE/Black Firmware upgrade, download the file and follow the directions.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:08 PM
bpu699

Will do this weekend. Thank you!

Bo
Old 05-03-2018, 07:11 PM
bpu699

Peter, hope you can help further.

downloaded comparo software, set defaults on how to record and program made a tiny file on the sd card. Put it in the unit... at one point the transfer light went on for a couple seconds. Status light went green, record light went on by itself, and it flashed 100% memory used, even though card was new. It’s a 16mb card.

so, went and downloaded the new latest HE software. 4mb or so, went on the sd card.

inserted the card, turned on the unit. Status light originally blinking, after a minute or so transfer light went on for 2-3 seconds. Then the record light and 100% memory full light went on and status went green. that ran for about 30 seconds. Then blinking red/green status light, and then the cycle repeated. Left it for 5 minutes, just kept doing the same cycle.

but whenever the record light was on the memory flashed 100% full.

Not sure if if the unit uploaded the software or not? Does the transfer just take 2-4 seconds?

for whatever reason, the unit keeps saying memory 100% full.

peter, you mentioned formatting the sd card. Am I missing something?

all help appreciated.

bo
Old 05-03-2018, 07:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by bpu699
Peter, hope you can help further.

downloaded comparo software, set defaults on how to record and program made a tiny file on the sd card. Put it in the unit... at one point the transfer light went on for a couple seconds. Status light went green, record light went on by itself, and it flashed 100% memory used, even though card was new. It’s a 16mb card.

so, went and downloaded the new latest HE software. 4mb or so, went on the sd card.

inserted the card, turned on the unit. Status light originally blinking, after a minute or so transfer light went on for 2-3 seconds. Then the record light and 100% memory full light went on and status went green. that ran for about 30 seconds. Then blinking red/green status light, and then the cycle repeated. Left it for 5 minutes, just kept doing the same cycle.

but whenever the record light was on the memory flashed 100% full.

Not sure if if the unit uploaded the software or not? Does the transfer just take 2-4 seconds?

for whatever reason, the unit keeps saying memory 100% full.

peter, you mentioned formatting the sd card. Am I missing something?

all help appreciated.

bo
Bo, make sure the “lock” slide on the side of the card is facing towards the contact end. Could be not allowing it two write to the card.

stick the card in the computer, open file explorer, open my computer, right click on the SD card and select from the drop down menu “format” Quick format is ok.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:18 PM
bpu699

Peter, progress. I hope this info helps someone else down the road too...

I formatted the SD card, it certainly helped. I would not have guessed in a million years that it needs to be formatted, as the computer/cameras/etc seem to record on these things just fine when you plug it in. I have never manually formatted an SD card.

So, formatted the card. Loaded in the new HE software on the card. Turned on the unit without the card in and let it run for a couple minutes, ended its cycle with the status light flashing red/green and 100% memory full flashing. Plugged in the SD card and it certainly started doing something. Lots of flashing light, the memory gauge was cycling through flashing 0/20/50/76/100% full running it up and down. It cycled 3 times, then ended with the unit showing a green flashing status light, green power light. Seemed like the process was done.

Pressed the record button... nothing happened.

Shut the unit off, turned it back on, it cycled through its lights with the card in, at some point flashing the status/power, and RED RECORD lights. Record was RED and on for about 2-3 seconds. Then, settled back down with just the flashing green status light and green power light. Seemed ready to go. I press record... nothing happens. HMMMMM

Pulled the card out, unit starts flashing 100% memory used (indicating the card is out, right?). Plug the card back in, unit seems happy, goes back to green status and green power light. Press record button... nothing.... HMMMM...

Load up the parameters file, setting it to "record" once SD card is in. Redo the whole process (I did erase the HE system software as it had already loaded)... The two green lights go on... its still not recording... (Actually, now that I think about it, I may have uploaded the parameters file before the system file, in case that makes a difference)

So, on the bright side, formatting the SD clearly made a huge difference. The software loaded right up best I can tell. Where I had red flashing lights, I now have happy green lights. So, how do I get this thing to record???

Does pressing the record button not do anything?

Do I need different settings in the parameters file?

Do I leave the parameters file on the SD card permanently (website seems to indicate you erase these files once uploaded)

And Peter, I want to buy you a beer or pizza for your help!!! Let me know how I can do it. Kind of surprised that the race-keeper site doesn't have a trouble shooting guide...

Bo
Old 05-05-2018, 07:23 AM
rkirshner
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi . i have had a RK system for a number of years .
the way you end a recorded session is as important as how you start one .
that is , you have to to end the recording by having the record button turn off and only then remove the sd card .
do not just remove the card or power off the unit .
Old 05-05-2018, 10:17 AM
bpu699

Originally Posted by rkirshner
hi . i have had a RK system for a number of years .
the way you end a recorded session is as important as how you start one .
that is , you have to to end the recording by having the record button turn off and only then remove the sd card .
do not just remove the card or power off the unit .
thanks I appreciate the help...

but it how do I get it to record in the first place? Pressing the record button doesn't seem to do anything to start recording. Is there some trick I am missing? PDFs manual just says to turn it on and put the card in. That does do something as the lights go green, indicating a ready state. But pressing record button doesn't do anything...

will play with the parameters file a bit more today...
Old 05-05-2018, 10:28 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

In the middle of an AiM Practical Data Analysis seminar at VIR, but by default, the R-K begins recording with speed. So, if possible, try and get moving above 10-15 mph and see if it begins recording.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:30 AM
bpu699

Thanks. Will try next time I am out on the track, no way to test this in my driveway and the car isn't street legal...

Quick Reply: race keeper trouble shooting?