Notices

Bertil Roos F2000 Dash

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 11:27 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Bertil Roos F2000 Dash

I am signed up for PBIR BR School in March.
I see from videos that the cars appear to have some form of Dash/lap timer.
Anyone know what they use and if it is a logger that would permit download of data?

Also, I plan to bring my own GoPro - anyone know what they use for a mount?

DB
Old 02-09-2018, 12:14 PM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The dash does have a timer function but at least in my class, the folks that wanted timers brought some kind of a portable device.
As far as a GoPro, the roll hoop is too big to use the roll bar mount and the cockpit surround body work flexes too much to allow a
clear picture so I would recommend something like a helmet mount and a small cam like the sessions with a foam mic cover to cut
down on the wind roar and drag.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:31 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dogger15
The dash does have a timer function but at least in my class, the folks that wanted timers brought some kind of a portable device.
As far as a GoPro, the roll hoop is too big to use the roll bar mount and the cockpit surround body work flexes too much to allow a
clear picture so I would recommend something like a helmet mount and a small cam like the sessions with a foam mic cover to cut
down on the wind roar and drag.
Do you know where/how they mounted the lap timer? I have a Solo DL with standard RAM window suction cup mount.
(I have a smarty Cam too, but think it would be too complex to mount and wire to the DL for the class. - Wanted to keep it simple with a GoPro if possible).
Old 02-09-2018, 02:33 PM
dogger15
Racer

Originally Posted by dbbarron
Do you know where/how they mounted the lap timer? I have a Solo DL with standard RAM window suction cup mount.
(I have a smarty Cam too, but think it would be too complex to mount and wire to the DL for the class. - Wanted to keep it simple with a GoPro if possible).
Most I saw were basic manual affairs clipped on the steering wheel. A Solo DL GPS would probably work fine if you could find some place safe to mount it. The cockpit is pretty tight. About the only flat surface I remember was the dash or maybe the bulkhead behind your seat, so you might be able to find a spot there. There is also a possibility of clamping your GoPro to the inside back of the roll hoop.

You should give Dennis a call, I'm sure he could fill you in on what can and can't be done with the on board timers as well as suggestion on portable timers.

Last edited by dogger15; 02-10-2018 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:05 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by dbbarron
I am signed up for PBIR BR School in March.
I see from videos that the cars appear to have some form of Dash/lap timer.
Anyone know what they use and if it is a logger that would permit download of data?

Also, I plan to bring my own GoPro - anyone know what they use for a mount?

DB
When I went through the 5 day school last year, they had their own professional videographer with camera mounted to the car. I doubt they would take kindly to your mounting your own unit.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:48 PM
marccongdon
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Yep. They don't really let you strap any of your own cameras to the cars because they have someone on site. As for the data logger, I didn't see a usb or memory card on them when I went two years ago. I had the same idea at first of saving my data to compare with a friend who was going at a later date.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:49 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

I just finished the 3-day school and had a blast. There was no pro-photographer, so they let me use my GoPro and even helped with the mounting.
The class was great. Well worth it. Fantastic team at Bertil Roos. Here's a lap!

Old 03-15-2018, 12:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,891 Posts

Great crew down there! Dennis is terrific, and if Bruce and Divi were there, even better for you!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-15-2018, 12:39 PM
dogger15
Racer

Looks like it was a perfect day for lapping.

There wasn't a photographer when I took the class either, but I didn't think to bring my own video set up.

Looks like you mounted the camera on the roll hoop, how were you able to attach it since the bar has a
cover over it? I plan to attend some more classes and this time I want to take my "Sessions" along for
the ride.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:19 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Great crew down there! Dennis is terrific, and if Bruce and Divi were there, even better for you!
Both were there. Divina was my instructor for the 3 days; fantastic.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:21 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dogger15
Looks like you mounted the camera on the roll hoop, how were you able to attach it since the bar has a
cover over it? I plan to attend some more classes and this time I want to take my "Sessions" along for
the ride.
Their crew had a GoPro mount adapter available which they mounted to the cladding over the roll hoop. They then tethered the GoPro with some fishing wire for safety.

Quick Reply: Bertil Roos F2000 Dash