Notices

Apex Pro Digital Driving Coach Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 03:36 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Hah! Bring it on...I need all the help I can get [clearly! ].
Old 11-09-2017, 04:06 PM
arains44
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-rz...ature=youtu.be

I've kept it unlisted, but you should still be able to find it with this URL. It's about 15 minutes long, hopefully this is good info!

First things first, I'd be proud of the lap Mark, solid work. This is all fine tuning, small gains to go faster kind of stuff!
Old 11-09-2017, 04:42 PM
arains44
Advanced

I sent the video & heat map over to Robby Foley yesterday. He got back to me with some solid input to add to my heat map analysis!

For those of you unfamiliar with Robby, check him out here:

http://robbyfoleyracing.com/

"His brake pressure into turn 1 is definitely a little too much. I'd challenge him to brake lighter for longer and reach his min speed later in the corner. I would attempt to roll enough speed to where I he go back to throttle, or at least full throttle before braking for turn 2."

"Turns 3,4,5 is pretty solid nothing really crucial to add there."

"Braking into 13 was very good, needs to apply that entry technique to other corners. you can see it depicted in the APEX lights."

"I agree with Andrew's input on the heat map analysis, I would focus my energy on using the brakes less to slow the car down, and more to create grip with the front tires. Speed is really good, the next step is challenging the front end grip a little more by starting to roll more speed into the corners. Use APEX to help you do that confidently, nice lap!"

-RF

Thanks to Robby for the input. He ran several races in an LMP3 car this year, super cool to hear about transitioning from MX5 to that thing!

Last edited by arains44; 11-10-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:50 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

I really enjoyed that, Andrew -- the little nuggets from how, for instance, you were going between the video and the map and then cuing up what to look for in the lights next time out was, for me, very insightful and instructive as far as how to use the APEX lights is concerned.

And of course thanks very much for the coaching ideas in the process; both to you and Robby...please pass that along for me. I really like Robby's thought about changing mindset from slowing down to creating grip..."aha!" moment for me I suspect.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:28 AM
arains44
Advanced

Glad to hear it Mark! If anyone else wants to provide heat maps and/or in-car I'd be happy to offer feedback.

I think understanding what's good, and what you want to eliminate on the Heat Map is important. You'll also notice that as you begin to challenge the grip of the car at higher speeds the device will start to recognize new things. As ProCoach says, it's truly adaptive technology!

It's all about mindset, the philosophy behind APEX is twofold:

1) Focus on the grip, use the lights to build you muscle memory for the limit!
2) Building peripheral awareness. If you have a desire to truly see the lights all the time, it takes more general awareness with your vision. That makes you faster and safer in most instances!
Old 11-13-2017, 12:50 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Hi Andrew...on my way to PSDS this morning for the Masters RSR class....will you be there? If so..any way for me to trial/demo the Apex Pro?

Thanks
Kevin
Old 11-13-2017, 01:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,066 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by arains44
The philosophy behind APEX is twofold:

1) Focus on the grip, use the lights to build you muscle memory for the limit!
2) Building peripheral awareness. If you have a desire to truly see the lights all the time, it takes more general awareness with your vision. That makes you faster and safer in most instances!
I would add:

3) Focus on the consistency of grip use (all green, all the time) in straightline longer braking zones and then,

4) Focus on reducing unrealized grip (red, in between) transitions between brake release and max lateral load.

THESE are the qualities most different between pros and ams, and this is a great tool to identify and quantify opportunities for improvement...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-09-2017, 07:57 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

By the way, as of the latest update the screen zoom on the maps is now working for me
Old 12-14-2017, 12:42 AM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

just read the entire thread. this is really cool tech. now the dumb question (and no I haven't tried to find the user manual ) how does this work with downforce cars like the sr3? thanks in advance
Old 12-14-2017, 08:33 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by hughp3
just read the entire thread. this is really cool tech. now the dumb question (and no I haven't tried to find the user manual ) how does this work with downforce cars like the sr3? thanks in advance
Very well! I suspect Robbie has had it in the LMP3 car already and I have used it in Formula Atlantics, a wee bit quicker than the fastest SR8. The things I like about this tool are 1) it measures the end result of everything, tire grip (mechanical), aero, braking and track topography (power is usually the least of people's worries) and 2) it LEARNS, so the quicker you go, the wider the area of the benchmarks created.

It would work great and I have a fresh stock of them. Will send free freight if you buy from me,
Old 12-14-2017, 10:22 AM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

thank peter! can you pm me on how i can order. cheers hugh
edit: i see your phone on web sight will call this am
Old 12-14-2017, 12:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by hughp3
thank peter! can you pm me on how i can order. cheers hugh
edit: i see your phone on web sight will call this am
A pleasure to speak with you, Hugh! Thanks!
Old 01-16-2018, 04:10 PM
arains44
Advanced

NEW CONTENT UPDATE!

Check it out folks, this is what you'll experience when you download our latest update for iOS 11 devices:

Stay posted for news on Android updates, hopefully coming soon (trust me, we're working on it!)!
Old 01-16-2018, 09:11 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Cool my wife bought me one for Christmas, can't wait to use it this spring.

Phil
Old 01-21-2018, 03:20 AM
JarmoL
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Patiently waiting for Android updates here.

Quick Reply: Apex Pro Digital Driving Coach Review