Notices

Help with rally stuff available!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 07:52 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with rally stuff available!

This seems a pretty dead forum - Porsche never really did suport the rally dicipline all that well - despite pouring tons of R&D into the Group "B" 959.

In any case - while I now own a 1990 S2 - I also have rallied fairly seroiusly for the last sevral years - both TSD and performance.

If you have a rally question - I might be able to help and can certainly point you in the rigth direction if I can't answer your question directly.

Just let me know!

RK
Old 09-19-2003, 06:59 AM
jon_7248
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do you raise the suspention on a 79 924? or rather the best and effective route
Old 09-19-2003, 11:21 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Unless there's something specific to the 924 - the best way to get more "travel" your car or for any rally car, is the installation of a coil-over kit. This allows raising and lowering the car as needed (always remember to do an alignment AFTER the height adjustment) and swap spring rates easily.

RK
Old 10-22-2003, 10:28 PM
TAREK
Three Wheelin'

Rallye guy,

I grew up watching Porsche 911 Rallye cars flying through my hometown overseas during rallye races...

I would like to do some reading on the specs for those Rallye cars. any suggestions for reading material? May be then I can ask some semi-intelligent questions

TIA
Old 10-23-2003, 10:42 PM
upcruiser
Advanced

Cool, I just discovered this forum. I just posted in the 944 section, but you might be able to give some insights as well.

I'm looking to convert my daily driver '83 944 over to Group 5 trim for SCCA Club rallies.

I'm trying to put together a list of stuff I'm going to need to prep the car to see if it would realistically fit into my budget versus just finding a cheaper already prepped vehicle.

If you have any specific advice as to where I could find someone to fabricate a custom skid plate for the bottom or roll cage to meet the SCCA specs I would appreciate it.

As a side note, I got some pictures of a nicely prepared '89 Carrera from last weekends Lake Superior Pro Rally I'll try to post when I get a chance to scan.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:57 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally posted by upcruiser
Cool, I just discovered this forum. I just posted in the 944 section, but you might be able to give some insights as well.

I'm looking to convert my daily driver '83 944 over to Group 5 trim for SCCA Club rallies.

I'm trying to put together a list of stuff I'm going to need to prep the car to see if it would realistically fit into my budget versus just finding a cheaper already prepped vehicle.

If you have any specific advice as to where I could find someone to fabricate a custom skid plate for the bottom or roll cage to meet the SCCA specs I would appreciate it.

As a side note, I got some pictures of a nicely prepared '89 Carrera from last weekends Lake Superior Pro Rally I'll try to post when I get a chance to scan.
Number one suggestion: Do not build your own car if it is your first rally car!! Buy a used rally car that is already fairly complete. You may need to do minor cage updates, add seats and harnesses, etc.

Learn how to drive and what is really involved in competing in Pro Rally (or Club as it may be). It is a hell of a lot more involved than it may appear.

After a few years of running your used rally car - then and only then - will you understand if it is worthwhile to build your own car.

You can visit my website for some information on building a rally car. There is an article written by my father on the preparation of an old Dodge Colt (circa 1975) and one that I wrote for my Talon (circa 2000). You'll need to go to the bottom of the "Pro Rally Talon" page which is found on the "Cars" page. The same basic concepts apply to what ever car you want to build. But, again, do not build a car if you have not competed in rallies before.

Best of luck. Contact me from my website it you need more help.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:01 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

I have to totally agree - I DID build my first car and while I enjoyed it - it was very expensive and I drove less than wrenched.

BUY your first car. Learn to drive and then build.

Or get sponsored - and have THEM build your car for you! (A rare, but sweet deal!)

RK
Old 10-25-2003, 09:51 PM
TAREK
Three Wheelin'

thank you guys for the advice. Pro Rallye is not popular in the US, unlike Europe and other continents. There is a lot of info on preparing a Porsche (or other sports cars) for track, but not much (other then possibly here) on Rallye.

I would like to know and understand the suspension mods. I find the suspension on Rallye cars simply amazing, for all the beating it's designed to take...and those jumps...man those jumps must kill any suspension if the car isn't well prepared!!!
Old 10-27-2003, 08:45 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by TAREK

I would like to know and understand the suspension mods. I find the suspension on Rallye cars simply amazing, for all the beating it's designed to take...and those jumps...man those jumps must kill any suspension if the car isn't well prepared!!!
Jumps? You want jumps? How's this?
Attached Images  
Old 10-27-2003, 09:29 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

That's pretty big - you running DMS 50's?

RK
Old 10-27-2003, 10:47 AM
upcruiser
Advanced

Thanks guys. I've been making a price list of work it would take and it would be WAY more money to set my street car up at this point. I realized that it would be more expensive to build going into it, but I thought maybe already owning the car might offset some of the cost. I'm kind of leaning toward a G2 Golf or something in that price range at this point. I'll check out your web page Scott.

Nice shot on Brockway Mtn there. I have some insane footage that I took from the year before that where Patrick Richard does a low altitude flyby ! That was nuts! There were alot of lucky spectators by the impact zone.

Any plans for SnoDrift?
Old 10-27-2003, 11:09 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by upcruiser
Thanks guys. I've been making a price list of work it would take and it would be WAY more money to set my street car up at this point. I realized that it would be more expensive to build going into it, but I thought maybe already owning the car might offset some of the cost. I'm kind of leaning toward a G2 Golf or something in that price range at this point. I'll check out your web page Scott.

Nice shot on Brockway Mtn there. I have some insane footage that I took from the year before that where Patrick Richard does a low altitude flyby ! That was nuts! There were alot of lucky spectators by the impact zone.

Any plans for SnoDrift?
Yes. We are hoping to be back for Sno*Drift. We did really well there earlier this year. For some reason I'm pretty fast on snow/ice. There is a good video of us at the jump on Brockway at my website too. The still is as we were coming down. We caught pretty good air.

If you get a chance come out on January 10th and run my rally - Son of Sno*Drift VI. It starts and ends in Waterford (because it's easy for me).

Keep your eyes open for used rally cars. They're out there. There are plenty of good links at my website. Ben's Rally Page is one of the best.

Rally Guy - I run GAB shocks and OE springs. Still have not found a need to go with stiffer springs. The shocks are great!
Old 10-27-2003, 12:24 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Wow - that's impressive - I blew up three sets of GABS's one season!

Then I went 300 and 400lb srpings - that fixed it!

As for used rally cars - go to Bens Rally page...

http://www.cwl.com/bensrallypage/

Best source for cars in both US and Canada. Check under classifieds.

RK
Old 01-05-2004, 09:59 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

scott... GAB or agx's?

Old 01-07-2004, 08:32 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

GAB rally. See photo...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Help with rally stuff available!