Notices

Ontario rally fans - come cheer us on at Tall Pines!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 01:32 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Ontario rally fans - come cheer us on at Tall Pines!

Team Harco will be making their debut in CARS competition at the Tall Pines Rally on November 20th. With the increased entry fees and eventual dropping of the SCCA ProRally series - we have decided to spend our performance rally dollar in Canada.

I see a lot of Ontario residents on the 944 forum... hopefully some of you will make the trip to Bancroft. Be sure to stop and say hello!

I've always enjoyed my trips to Canada (many vacations to Pinery and Algonquin Provincial Parks) and love the people - not to mention the beer. Mmmmmm...beeeer! It will be interesting to go there with a mission, for once.

Don't know if we will run our old SCCA number (519) or if we will be assigned a new number for the event. Regardless, we will be in the car in the avatar. See more at the website listed below.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:24 PM
baldheadracing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, why don't you come up for Black Bear in two weeks? There are a few Michigan teams coming, although some had to cancel when rain forced the event to re-schedule from June to July 23rd.

http://www.mlrc.ca/blackbear/index.html
http://www.tallpinesrally.com/MLRC/BBEntryList.asp

I was deputy stage commander at Iron Bridge last year, so we've seen each other before - for about the time it takes to hand you a sticker . I'll be a steward at Black Bear, so you won't want to see me there!
Old 07-12-2005, 08:48 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Yes - we have had Black Bear on our schedule for some time. The car is ready and I am getting my physical later today. It looks as though the lack of money at the moment may prevent us from running. We've had a few unexpected expenses pop-up in the last few months that are cutting into the racing budget. If we don't make BB we will try to come up and run Galway-Cavendish.

Keep the beer cold for us. Be sure to say 'ello when you see us.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 07-12-2005 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:34 PM
baldheadracing
Instructor

Great to hear!

Both rallies should be good. GC is a one-road rally, but that one road is usually in great shape - I was planning on running the 944 in GC until I made the stunning discovery that 16" gravel tires do not exist - so I bought V710's, took off the skidplates and mudflaps, and am doing some Solo instead.

BB was a one-road rally, but there is a new second looong stage(s) this year so it is a full regional event. The new roads are awesome - I drove on them back in June before the flooding on the work day. I should be hearing about the revised road conditions soon, but I'm sure Ryan will post updates on Specialstage.com

Hope you can make it! BB has 28 entries!
Old 07-13-2005, 09:37 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

You could run Hakkas. There are some good 16" offerings. You can't fit 15" wheels on your car?

I learned last night that I am fit enough to get a license. Too bad I didn't come across any money to pay for entry, lodging, fuel and my CARS license. Looks like GC is our next chance to come over and run. (Plus my wife was not keen on the idea of me being away for our wedding anniversary - the day after Black Bear).

So if you were the deputy stage commander at the iron bridge stage - where does that place you? At the start of the stage? Guess you wouldn't have seen any of this...
Attached Images    
Old 07-15-2005, 01:16 PM
baldheadracing
Instructor

There's no problem getting good snow tires in 16" - including rally snow tires. To me, running snow tires on gravel is a waste of time in a RWD. The tread just gets torn off, the sidewalls get blistered, and the tires blow - and that's with flipping the tires front to back whenever possible.

15" won't clear my stock calipers. Even 16" has marginal clearance for rally - in winter events, I have to run the old forged "sewer lid" 16" rims from 924/931's to get enough clearance for debris. (see avatar :-)

As for iron bridge, we were at the end the first time through (bridge->spectator area -> us). However, doing the iron bridge stages meant we could spectate at the night stages, but I didn't feel like driving all the way out there after having been out in the rain most of the day!

Sorry to hear you won't be at BB, but the revised date is definitely inconvenient for you! I won't be at GC, but I just heard the road is in its "usual excellent shape."
Old 07-22-2005, 05:23 PM
P.Po
Instructor

Craig,

I have personally seen Markus put some 15" Phone Dials on the S2 or Turbo calipers. When you also add a rim scraper you should be fine!!

Scott, I will be spectating (perhaps working) at the Tall Pines and will certainly cheer you on!! Good luck and we all look forward to seeing you compete in CARS in the future!

regards,
Patrick Parato
Old 07-23-2005, 01:57 AM
baldheadracing
Instructor

Yes, but I have S4 (turbo S) front calipers. Even 16" phone dials need modification to work with those.

Markus has kindly offered to swap in the smaller calipers, of course. I'd do it to save the caliper and rotor weight, but even then, 15" is dicey for gravel.

And, unfortunately, a regular 944 is just a bit too big for Group 2.

In any case, rally Porsches are 911's, and a 2.4l 911 would be the car for Group 2. I just can't afford to prep and run one - what am I saying - I can't afford to prep and run the S2 (which left me stranded today in Griffith, Ontario, on my way to Black Bear )
Old 08-12-2005, 09:38 AM
hammerwerfer
Racer

Hello everyone,

I just noticed that there was a rally section here. I rallied once in Canada, back in '86 or '87 Dartmouth Highlands rally. Lots of fun, but I managed to crash early on. Running blind and the finish area was nothing like what it showed on the notes. 400m compressed into about 100 around a blind sweeper. There were people in the road and I took to the ditch to avoid them at the finish line. Rolled three times.

If anyone has any photographs from that rally I would love to ge my hands on some. It was the only 911 in the rally so easy enough to spot.

The beer was good! Moosehead was a sponsor!
Old 08-17-2005, 02:30 AM
baldheadracing
Instructor

Best place to ask about Dartmouth Highlands would be the forums at www.armsinc.ca
Old 08-21-2005, 01:29 PM
hammerwerfer
Racer

Thanks for the link. I posted over there, and hope to hear something positive soon.

Quick Reply: Ontario rally fans - come cheer us on at Tall Pines!