Notices

Plastic Trim Maintenance / Restorer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2023, 08:23 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 903 Likes on 485 Posts
Default Plastic Trim Maintenance / Restorer?

What do you guys like for plastic trim? My 2018 718S is now 5 years old. It looks great in general, has been ceramic'd and garaged, two bucket washed, etc. but has seen 35k miles and a fair bit of track use. The center plastic solid piece on the nose (no third radiator) and the side air intakes are beginning to fade slightly. What product do folks like for maintenance/restoration? I see that Meguiars and Mothers make products that get good reviews by the non-obsessed. Is there anything better out there or will these do the job? Looking for ease of application and lack of toxicity to adjacent paint/coating as priorities. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ldamelio; 02-17-2023 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-17-2023, 09:27 AM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 623 Likes on 402 Posts

I like CarPro PERL, although I am not entirely sure that will restore versus just a coating on top that makes it look better temporarily. It is super easy to use and doesn't hurt paint if it gets some slop over.

I haven't used a 'restorer' since about 15 years ago when I used a product called "Black Again" and they quit making that product and the small bottle I had eventually broke down, so I tossed it.
The following users liked this post:
ldamelio (02-17-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 11:04 PM
awahl63
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I like Hyperdressing/VRP/Perl. I buy Hyperdressing by the gallon and dilute it to use on tires/wheel wells/engine bays/trim. It's definitely temporary but it's water based (I can't stand solvents) and easy to use.

If you want a more permanent (semi) option, I would recommend the Cerakote Ceramic Trim Kit. It's not super user friendly but it's not bad. Watch a youtube video (or two) and you should be fine.
Old 02-25-2023, 12:47 AM
996TS
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

I recently used this on the entire exterior of my GLK 350 https://www.303products.com.au/produ...-spray-coating

I was absolutely impressed with the results and its restoration impact to all unpainted black plastics... annoyingly comparable to the ~$2k I have spent on ceramic coating other vehicles...
The following users liked this post:
Spectre65 (06-19-2023)

Quick Reply: Plastic Trim Maintenance / Restorer?