Notices

Xpel Ultimate: Dirt build-up on the edges of a full body wrap??

Old 07-11-2017, 01:35 AM
DannieK
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Xpel Ultimate: Dirt build-up on the edges of a full body wrap??

About a year has passed since I had the entire body of my '16 Spyder wrapped in Xpel Ultimate. It wasn't cheap, took a long time...but looked great. But now I notice that edges of the Xpel are turning black (joints & panel edges)....and since my car is white it's really noticeable. And I can't get it off!!

I never use waxes that would push into any joints or voids, wash it weekly, use only high quality professional products, do everything like I'm supposed to and still the damn edges get blacker from dirt.

Today I tried a wooden toothpick, soap and water...and it worked a little, but the underside of the clear wrap is still filthy (edges only) and it'll take forever.

Is there a way that I can clean this up, or do I have to bring it back to the installer (a 3rd time)....which I really don't want to do. The installer was professional and excellent. I see it as an Xpel problem not the installation.

Why is it happening at all? Is it something I have to live with after spending a very lot of money! C'mon Xpel...it really looks like crap.

I'll try to post some photos asap, but in the meantime any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-11-2017, 02:37 AM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

I have this on my front quarter panel side vent on my expel on my amg gt s
There's a bubble with dirt stuck in there.
Looks crappy
It appeared within a couple weeks or less from install.
I'll add a pic
Old 07-11-2017, 10:46 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

I used a cotton ball with alcohol. Worked well.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:52 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Hi Dannie,

Part of what make PPF so great is its ability to absorb impacts so paint stays as close to perfect as possible. But part of what allows this is the thickness of the PPF. With that thickness, wherever there is an edge to the film your wrap will have a mini-wall(8'ish mils thick).

Whether you're looking at a seam or just the edge to a piece of Xpel, debris will build up over time. And when over a white or light colored car, there is a greater ability to see this build up. But there are things we can do that will greatly assist with limiting build up. I would encourage you to regularly use a soft boar's hair brush along with a safe citrus based cleaner/degreaser that is non-reactive with the surfaces. Specifically, P21S Total Auto Wash is my favorite as of right now(and has been for 10 years).

Take the time to agitate the edges during a car wash. I think you will find the build up will be greatly diminished after even the first treatment. You may reapply these steps as necessary to address the build up.

A few other things:
It is not impossible for the edge of the film to absorb the slightest bit of grime over time. This is why it's important to stay on top of keeping a wrap and the body of the car clean.

Paint protection film is literally the pinnacle of protection for paint. Nothing comes close and Xpel makes a fine PPF. While I understand your frustration, this is not a unique circumstance where you got a faulty product and it appears you are satisfied with the craftsmanship of the installer. These are things that can happen to any PPF wrap. My advice is to use this technique to get it as clean as you practically can and enjoy the peace of mind you have with a full body PPF wrap. The film will age over time and with more use, it will age even faster. **Something** will wear as you go down the road and with that full wrap, it will likely only be your paint protection film.

The alternative to these nuances is to not have a wrap and have to cope with ongoing damage that will likely occur.

I hope this helps frame the technology and livable-use of PPF for you and anyone else reading this. If you would like to ask anything else feel free to fire away or, if you would like to, give me a shout. I am pleased to spend a few moments over a phone call with you to help you out. This is my livelihood and an industry I am passionate about so anything I can do to help folks out, I will.

-Best regards
The following 4 users liked this post by Detailed Designs:
BudgetPlan1 (11-12-2019), Marine Blue (11-06-2019), Porsche Lee (11-05-2019), vg247 (04-15-2023)
Old 07-22-2017, 11:40 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

^^^ Really, helpful, thanks!
Old 08-09-2017, 04:37 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with JC's perspective above.

And to build on it, the installer can reduce the number of visible edges by wrapping the film into panel gaps wherever possible. That's one of my pet-peeves with computer template cut-outs: they often leave the cut edges on visible surfaces. That invites the problem you're describing - dirt build-up along the film edges.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:24 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

My installer said he had a guy buy a full PPF and then do nothing to protect it, and the film was ruined and yellowed within a month. So definitely use the PPF protectant or PPF safe wax. I use Meguires Ultimate because I'm too lazy to use a seperate thing for the front of the car and the PPF looks the same as when it was installed after 3 years.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:21 PM
Extreme Autowerks
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having edges and seams where dirt and grime can build up is usually due to installer technique. Every car will pose different challenges for a PPF installer, but at advanced levels of installation, most edges can be tucked away and wrapped. There are some panels that DO need to have openings and "relief cuts" in order for the film to adhere properly and do it's job. I'm not a huge fan of XPEL PPF, but what your describing is not a product issue. Here is a link to what is common in the industry compared to what can be done with the film to help solve your problem!

https://www.extremeautowerks.net/ppf-comparisons
Old 11-03-2019, 07:50 PM
Surge74
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Extreme Autowerks
Having edges and seams where dirt and grime can build up is usually due to installer technique. Every car will pose different challenges for a PPF installer, but at advanced levels of installation, most edges can be tucked away and wrapped. There are some panels that DO need to have openings and "relief cuts" in order for the film to adhere properly and do it's job. I'm not a huge fan of XPEL PPF, but what your describing is not a product issue. Here is a link to what is common in the industry compared to what can be done with the film to help solve your problem!

https://www.extremeautowerks.net/ppf-comparisons
Old post but this is somewhat disingenuous post. Unless you remove the bumpers and most panels, you will see edges. And edges are good to see! Minimal edges and nicely cut, but you want edges. The PPF film is quite thick and needs to be stretched and ‘anchored’ to panels. Don’t be fooled by installers who claim you won’t see edges yet don’t remove bumpers, etc. These jobs will look like sh~t in due course, when the edges peel back or break.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:35 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 695 Likes on 365 Posts

Wrapping edges is truly a skill that takes many years to master properly. You need access if it’s to be done properly. So, bumpers, headlights, trims, etc. will need to be removed in some cases to gain proper access for a sustainable installation

doing so can make the installation 2-3X in labor compared to non-wrapped edges. So, be clear to the installer your expectations and pay accordingly
Old 11-09-2019, 05:21 PM
Surge74
Racer

Also, I doubt dirt will build up on edges if you Ceramic Coat the entire car. Ceramic coat is like a glass coating so there are no more ‘edges’ for dirt to collect in.
It’s interesting how many people will drop well over $100K on a car but then skimp on a $5K full body PPF and Ceramic coat, then complain.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:45 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,957 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Removing body panels when doing PPF is not something I am typically interested in doing. I would rather have the easy edges wrapped (between the fender and the door), the extended rear quarter piece (going into the door), etc. But outside of that, PPF is meant to be something to help absorb rock chips and if it does get chipped have it be the film and not the paint.

I am a huge believer in PPF, but I want the full front and then the rear quarters done on a 911. That is it. Wrap as many edges as easily done and then move on from there. On a weekend car, I prefer a wax or sealant, over a ceramic coating. My GT3 is ceramic coated and while it is great, I do not mind waxing a car once a year. On a daily driver, give me a ceramic coating all day long.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:53 PM
Totor
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

My brand new 718 GT4 is currently being wrapped with Xpel first thing the guy explained me is that he do not use pre-cut but preferably enlarge all models and cut them himself in order to hide the film borders as much as possible.

Old 11-11-2019, 03:56 PM
Surge74
Racer

Yes, that’s what all the best shops do. But you will still see seams! Don’t think you won’t. Unless adjacent panels are removed, you will see seams.
And you should get Ceramic Pro, or similar, on top of the PPF once it’s done.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:22 PM
Totor
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Surge74
Yes, that’s what all the best shops do. But you will still see seams! Don’t think you won’t. Unless adjacent panels are removed, you will see seams.
And you should get Ceramic Pro, or similar, on top of the PPF once it’s done.
Ceramic will be applied right after

Last edited by Totor; 11-11-2019 at 05:01 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Xpel Ultimate: Dirt build-up on the edges of a full body wrap??