1994 928 GTS Paint Correction and Ceramic Pro Gold Package

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 03:50 PM
PolishedDetail
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1994 928 GTS Paint Correction and Ceramic Pro Gold Package

Hello All my fellow Porsche fanatics!

My name is Nic Shangle and I own Polished Detail in Signal Hill California. You may have seen me answering some of your detail related questions in different threads on this forum. We are a vendor on this forum. I am not here to bombard these threads begging for your business, I promise lol. I may occasionally post a deal available exclusively to Rennlist members. But, I will try to keep it to a minimum!

Now, lets get to my original reason for this post...

A few months back i met Randy V in the 928 discussion. He was badly in need of some restoration on his 1994 928 GTS. It was out at Precision Autowerks in Anaheim California having Greg Brown work his mechanical magic on it. Randy and I discussed a few options for the vehicle sight unseen. I set up a time with Greg to come out to Anaheim and inspect the vehicles paint condition and take some paint depth measurements to see what options we may have.

The paint was pretty heavily oxidized and had lots of swirls and scratches from years of washes, wipe downs and general contaminants in the air. I came back to my shop and called Randy to advise on the best action to correct/restore the paint and also the best way to protect it and keep it that way. I worked with Greg for scheduling and transportation of the vehicle to my location. On a side note, if you haven't met Greg Brown, he is awesome to work with.

Now on to the major task we had to complete in just 4 days before its debut at Sharktoberfest 2016. This one was seriously challenge to complete in such a short time without sacrificing quality. I took a few pics as you will see. But, I really dropped the ball on full documentation as we were working against the clock

The before shots. You can see the color is pretty dull and covered in spider web type scratches with lots of random deeper scratches

The before shots. You can see the color is pretty dull and covered in spider web type scratches with lots of random deeper scratches

The hood and fenders really had some of the deepest imperfections and oxidation

The sun shots show the spider webbing pretty well

More lovely scratches...

Annd some more scratches...

And the final before pic

Bath time! We are decontaminating the paint. Removing any embedded iron particles with Shine Supply Smooth Move. Then a final foaming with Shine Supply Shine Soap.

This is a close up of the passenger fender after washing & decontaminating the paint. You can really see the damge in the finish under the daylight bulbs in the shop.

Here I have done a test on half of the hood to see if we can remove the imperfections with compounding alone.

Another shot of the half & half hood compound test.

As it turns out, just compounding alone was not going to remove the imperfections to our standards. So, here we have wet sanded the top surfaces to get a full correction.

Ahhh...This is the reward for about 30 hours of labor. Unfortunately the sun was hiding on the day of delivery back to Greg Brown

This is after correction and application of a Ceramic Pro gold package . Lifetime warranty paint protection

That Ceramic Pro glow

Notice the clarity and reflection of the flags in the hood

The front wheel is just as clean and protected as the paint on this 928 GTS

Here's a before and after shot of the hood showing the color, depth and gloss difference!

Thanks again Randy V! It was a pleasure working with and Greg Brown. I'm looking forward to seeing this beauty shining at the next car show!
The following users liked this post:
Raven 666 (04-18-2020)
Old 10-24-2016, 09:28 PM
Michael Benno
Rennlist Member

Received 893 Likes on 351 Posts

That looks absolutely fantastic. I wish you were in Portland,OR.

I'm not asking you to give away any secrets, but are there steps we as owners can to to help prep for a similar process? What should we look for locally in a vendor if we want similar results ?
Old 10-24-2016, 09:48 PM
PolishedDetail
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Michael Benno
That looks absolutely fantastic. I wish you were in Portland,OR.

I'm not asking you to give away any secrets, but are there steps we as owners can to to help prep for a similar process? What should we look for locally in a vendor if we want similar results ?
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the compliment!

This involved wet sanding, heavy compounding with microfiber pads and Shine Supply compounds & polishes. I don't recommend owners to take wet sanding into their own hands without a lot of practice on some junk yard hoods and panels. If you go too far it can cost a you new paint job.

I would recommend having a professional get it to a level that can be maintained by you. Purchasing all the machines and products you would need to accomplish this would cost a pretty penny. And chances are you will never need to do something this in depth again, if it's done right. So, then you just have a bunch of expensive machines and products going to waste. Spend a few bucks on maintenance products instead. I always educate my customers on the best way to maintain the vehicle after we have corrected it. Proper wash techniques and the right sealant or ceramic coating can make your results and investment go a long way.

I know now that Grease Monkey Detailing in Salem, Oregon does great work. He also installs Ceramic Pro if you were interested in the same service we did on Randy's 928.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:35 AM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

Right on, Nic - appreciate you breathing new life into my baby!
Old 10-25-2016, 12:44 AM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Outstanding.
I've the same color on my '03 C4S, and I'm about 4 hours from you. How long do you need a vehicle to do the level of work you did on Randy V's car (splendid 928, btw)? I plan on keeping mine until one of us dies of old age, so it's worth the time & effort for me.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:55 AM
Mrmerlin
Team Owner

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Spectacular results.
your car is now back to looking the part Randy
Old 10-26-2016, 03:19 PM
PolishedDetail
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Valkuri
Outstanding.
I've the same color on my '03 C4S, and I'm about 4 hours from you. How long do you need a vehicle to do the level of work you did on Randy V's car (splendid 928, btw)? I plan on keeping mine until one of us dies of old age, so it's worth the time & effort for me.
Hi Valkuri,

This type of correction and coating typically takes 3-5 days depending on the current paint condition (oxidation, scratches, holograms and such). Feel free to call and chat for a few minutes with me about the options for your car. We can usually get most things figured out over the phone prior to inspection.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:19 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Nice work
Old 11-03-2016, 10:44 AM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 11-25-2016, 09:52 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Still holding up swell. Drove in the rain last week - water slides right off, and the wash after took only a few minutes.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:24 AM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

nice job!
tel: 201-233-0003
Promo code is rennlist for 10% off anything on the site
Current Sales and Updates
Old 04-15-2017, 05:19 AM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Indeed.

Get yours now that winter's over!
Old 04-15-2017, 08:46 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

very nice job!
Old 04-18-2017, 09:34 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Well done!

Did you use 9H on this or Strong?

If 9H, how many coats?
Old 04-21-2017, 10:40 PM
spicygal
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Nic - I just purchased a black 2017 Cayenne and am looking at having the Ceramic Pro Gold Package applied (along with full frontal clear bra). I'm wondering if you can answer a few questions for me:
From what I can tell, this product was initially released in 2010 internationally. How long has it been available in the US? How long have you been applying it? How have the long term results been? It appears that an annual inspection (and likely application of Ceramic Sport??) is needed - what does this typically run?
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Quick Reply: 1994 928 GTS Paint Correction and Ceramic Pro Gold Package