Notices

Fiberglass Bodywork Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 06:03 PM
Taxi?
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglass Bodywork Question

I realize this is is a detailing forum, but just discovered after many years of of lurking and participation that neither Pelican, 6Speed, or Rennlist have a bodywork forum, so I'm hopng some of you who also do bodywork can help.

I just fitted a fiberglass rear decklid to my 86 Carrera and am curious what my options are with the gaps, which exist on several planes. Basically, I have:

1) two panels that fit relatively flush with each other but are too far apart (pic #3);
2) panels that are not flush with each other, with the FG panel sitting above the steel quarter panel (pics. #1 and 4):
3) the rear trailing edge isn't level across the reflector, apparently because of torsion in the FG mold (pic #3 again). I can apply some pressure to the right corner and it will flex into a better position, but of course it returns when I release the pressure. (BTW, the decklid shocks have been removed, as I've read that they can cause unwanted flex in a FG decklid)

Is it worth it to add FG to the areas that are too far from the steel panels to reduce the gap, or is that more work than its worth for such a small area? (I'm sure the gaps will be less noticeable when the decklid isn't a contrasting color)

But with the sides of the decklid sitting above the quarter panels, I'm stumped. Do I add FG underneath the sides and then sand down until they're even with the quarter panels, height-wise? I guess I could add FG to the bottom and sides and kill two birds with one stone, right?

Any advice would be appreciated, except for snarky comments like "Next time buy a better decklid." Thanks.

Jeff
Attached Images     

Last edited by Taxi?; 05-18-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:14 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

We have a bodywork forum. It's all the way at the bottom under 5 - Miscellaneous and is the 4th one under it titled Paint & Bodywork Discussion Forum.
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-19-2016, 05:27 PM
Taxi?
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha, I stand corrected! Moving my discussion to Pelican. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Fiberglass Bodywork Question