Notices

Need Clear Bra for Track recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 10:19 PM
phrogpilot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Clear Bra for Track recommendation

After several years of extensive tracking, my 2008 C4S went into the paint shop for a complete sanding and repaint. The car was sandblasted by track use. I want to clear bra the vehicle to preserve the paint. My question is twofold; first, which clear bra company product would perform the best under track conditions and protect the paint and second; do the self adhering vehicle numbers used at the track adhere properly to clear bra without degrading the product. Thanks fro your thoughts.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:31 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I would ask the shop that's doing the paintwork if they will guarantee their work if you install a clear bra. I've heard that non factory paint can peel off when a clear bra is removed. For track use a clear bra would likely only last a few years before it needs to be replaced so it would only be a matter of time before you have to remove and reinstall.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:03 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

Xpel ultimate is very good. I am sure other products are out there. No issues with sticking vinyl numbers on top of clear bra. Removing the bra should not at all harm the paint. Paint is more like an epoxy in how it bonds together. I would give the new paint time to cure before applying.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:13 PM
alpha motoring
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Xpel is good and so is Suntek. Not a lot of people run Suntek just because Xpel has better marketing.

Xpel has a little more stretch marks vs Suntek even with a professional installed. Race numbers shouldn't be an issue as long as the adhesive isn't super strong.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:18 PM
phrogpilot
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alpha motoring
Xpel is good and so is Suntek. Not a lot of people run Suntek just because Xpel has better marketing. Xpel has a little more stretch marks vs Suntek even with a professional installed. Race numbers shouldn't be an issue as long as the adhesive isn't super strong.
Thanks, please elaborate on "stretch marks" with Xpel. Does this mean it is wavey or distorted?
Old 02-08-2016, 08:05 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by phrogpilot
Thanks, please elaborate on "stretch marks" with Xpel. Does this mean it is wavey or distorted?
Yes that's correct, you see slight distortions on the surface.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:10 PM
Dan@AQS
Former Vendor

We use and recommend XPel Ultimate. It is possible that the repaint could peel if you were to remove the film. It really comes down to the quality of the repair. Give the paint some time to cure before applying the film. Cure times should come from the body shop.

Quick Reply: Need Clear Bra for Track recommendation