Old 10-21-2015, 07:07 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Health Hazards of Detailing

http://togwt1980.blogspot.co.uk/2015...detailing.html

Health Hazards of Detailing

Detailing Health Risks

This is only a brief summary of some of the health hazards and risks to your Health and Wellbeing while detailing

1. Polishing
To remove scratches requires the removal of paint using a polish or compound. Dust generated by sanding and buffing is a major risk. The most common abrasive used is silica, which is much, much harder than aluminium oxide; however, many formulators are also using aluminium oxide. Most good quality compounds and polishes contain abrasives and are a combination of both silica and aluminium oxide.

a) Quartz sand (silica) Inhaling finely divided crystalline silica dust in very small quantities (OSHA allows 0.1 mg/m3) over time can lead to silicosis, bronchitis, silica polishes and compounds are carcinogenic, as the dust becomes lodged in the lungs and continuously irritates them, reducing lung capacities. (Silica does not dissolve over time.)

b) Aluminium oxide is used for its hardness and strength. It is widely used as a coarse or fine abrasive

c) Automotive paints contain isocyanates (and polyisocyanate), the hardeners or catalysts in clear coats and some primers. Isocyanates are strong dermal and lung sensitizers and the leading cause of occupational asthma, so protect your skin and lungs from exposure to paints containing isocyanates.

Isocyanates used in clear coat paint are powerful irritants to the mucous membranes of the eyes and gastrointestinal and respiratory tracts. Direct skin contact can also cause marked inflammation. Isocyanates can also sensitize workers, making them subject to severe asthma attacks if they are exposed again. Death from severe asthma in some sensitized subjects has been reported.
Be cognizant that whatever you use an abrasive product on a paint surface the chemicals in the compound and any oxidized paint you use become airborne, so ensure you use suitable personal protection equipment (PPE) minimum safety glasses and an approved filtered face mask. The real danger is unprotected inhalation of the particulates as we are usually in close proximity for extended periods of time when polishing

Respiratory Protection (N95): Materials such as aluminium oxide (Aluminium oxide is on EPA's TRI list if it is a fibrous form) or silicon carbide (Nuisance Particulate-Accumulation in lungs) used in polishes and compounds, and powdered fillers (Crystalline silica poses a serious inhalation hazard because it can cause silicosis). They represent a hazard to your lungs and may cause respiratory distress.

A NIOSH-approved half face respirator equipped with a combination filter cartridge should be worn while using them

I would appreciate it if you would share these articles as it helps other detailers further their knowledge.

As always if you have questions, I’ll do my best to answer; bear in mind the only stupid questions is the one that was unasked. Questions and/ or constructive comments are always appreciated

Copyright © 2002 - 2015 TOGWT® (Established 1980) all rights reserved
Old 12-27-2015, 09:47 AM
OMFS
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Personally, I appreciate this info. Ignorance may be bliss but I don't need lung cancer. Any recommendation on a specific respirator?
Old 01-26-2016, 01:29 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Thank you for this. I agree it's important to protect ourselves and others while we enjoy this hobby. That's why I was looking for low dusting products and settled on the Sonax line as suggested by this board.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:31 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Respiratory Protection

1. Respiratory Protection (N95): Materials such as aluminium oxide (Aluminium oxide is on EPA's TRI list if it is a fibrous form) or silicon carbide (Nuisance particulate-Accumulation in lungs) used in polishes and compounds, and powdered fillers

Silica ingested orally is essentially nontoxic, on the other hand, inhaling finely divided crystalline silica dust can lead to silicosis, bronchitis, or cancer, as the dust becomes lodged in the lungs and continuously irritates them, reducing lung capacities. Crystalline silica (polishes and compounds) poses a serious inhalation hazard because it can cause silicosis and Isocyanate clear coat residue represent a hazard to your lungs and may cause respiratory distress.

Use a NIOSH-approved half face respirator equipped with a combination filter cartridge should be worn while using them

Consult the current 3M Respiratory Selection Guide for additional information or call 1-800-243-4630 for 3M technical assistance.

UK - http://www.hse.gov.uk/respiratory-protective-equipment/

Quick Reply: Health Hazards of Detailing