Porsche Car Care Tips and Tricks - Adonis Detail, San Diego

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 02:44 AM
TimAD
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche Car Care Tips and Tricks - Adonis Detail, San Diego

One of the most common questions we get asked is very simple indeed. Yet there are so many different answers, products, opinions etc. that it becomes quite difficult to find the best answer!

So because of this I thought it would be a benefit to put together a little thread In which I share some car care tips I have learned for those of you that maintain your vehicles yourselves. In addition I’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have as well!

A couple things to remember: Automotive surfaces are very delicate, this means that they can be easily scratched, swirled, etched and damaged. I highly recommend that proper care techniques are used and more importantly adequate protection in the form of a nano coating or clear bra are applied beforehand.

Washing:

Whether you are using a waterless method or a hose and bucket (recommended) the methods are very similar. You want to start with the wheels first with a separate bucket, separate mitt and brushes than you use for your paint surface not to cross contaminate. You can spray on a wheel cleaner like Sonax Full Effect or even just use car shampoo with various brushes to clean them. When moving onto the paint surface you ideally want to be washing in the shade out of direct sunlight but this isn’t always possible. First rinse the vehicle to remove any loose contamination, then start from the top and work your way down to the bottom of the vehicle. Rinse out your wash mitt often! A microfiber wash mitt is good, do not use anything that is rough or coarse as this can damage your paint. I also recommend getting a grit guard to put on the bottom of your bucket as well to catch any loose contamination. Once you have worked your way around the vehicle rinse again to remove the soap then start drying. I recommend soft microfiber towels such as a large waffle weave drying towel in order to dry the vehicle. Stay away from a house towel or beach towel as this can put swirl marks into the paint surface. Another trick is to use a leaf blower to help blow off extra water from the surface and from the cracks, this will help speed up the drying process. I use an 8hp blower specifically designed for this task.

Now that the vehicle is dry you can either apply a wax or sealant to protect the vehicle. Remember, a high quality wax will typically only last about 4-6 weeks. If you have chosen to go with a nano coating or clear bra then this step has already been performed and warrantied to last 24-60 months.

Interior care is fairly easy as well, for the navigation screen a good way to remove fingerprints and dust is to use a slightly damp microfiber towel. I also like to use 1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium cleaner on all interior surfaces. This is also safe on the console screen.

Window Cleaning: A trick for streak free window is to use distilled water and a soft lint free microfiber towel. Spray a very light amount on the window then buff off to a streak free finish. Remember less is more with windows, you only need a very slight amount of moisture to clean, anything more and you will get streaks and smears.

I hope that was informative, I tried to be as general as possible. Remember everyone has their own methods, these are just some key points I focus on when washing. Please let me know if you have any questions.

-Tim Coats
Owner, Adonis Detail
Old 10-09-2015, 04:35 AM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts

Thanks for the tips!
Old 10-19-2015, 07:45 PM
mgflyfish
Racer

Originally Posted by TimAD

One of the most common questions we get asked is very simple indeed. Yet there are so many different answers, products, opinions etc. that it becomes quite difficult to find the best answer!

So because of this I thought it would be a benefit to put together a little thread In which I share some car care tips I have learned for those of you that maintain your vehicles yourselves. In addition I’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have as well!

A couple things to remember: Automotive surfaces are very delicate, this means that they can be easily scratched, swirled, etched and damaged. I highly recommend that proper care techniques are used and more importantly adequate protection in the form of a nano coating or clear bra are applied beforehand.

Washing:

Whether you are using a waterless method or a hose and bucket (recommended) the methods are very similar. You want to start with the wheels first with a separate bucket, separate mitt and brushes than you use for your paint surface not to cross contaminate. You can spray on a wheel cleaner like Sonax Full Effect or even just use car shampoo with various brushes to clean them. When moving onto the paint surface you ideally want to be washing in the shade out of direct sunlight but this isn’t always possible. First rinse the vehicle to remove any loose contamination, then start from the top and work your way down to the bottom of the vehicle. Rinse out your wash mitt often! A microfiber wash mitt is good, do not use anything that is rough or coarse as this can damage your paint. I also recommend getting a grit guard to put on the bottom of your bucket as well to catch any loose contamination. Once you have worked your way around the vehicle rinse again to remove the soap then start drying. I recommend soft microfiber towels such as a large waffle weave drying towel in order to dry the vehicle. Stay away from a house towel or beach towel as this can put swirl marks into the paint surface. Another trick is to use a leaf blower to help blow off extra water from the surface and from the cracks, this will help speed up the drying process. I use an 8hp blower specifically designed for this task.

Now that the vehicle is dry you can either apply a wax or sealant to protect the vehicle. Remember, a high quality wax will typically only last about 4-6 weeks. If you have chosen to go with a nano coating or clear bra then this step has already been performed and warrantied to last 24-60 months.

Interior care is fairly easy as well, for the navigation screen a good way to remove fingerprints and dust is to use a slightly damp microfiber towel. I also like to use 1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium cleaner on all interior surfaces. This is also safe on the console screen.

Window Cleaning: A trick for streak free window is to use distilled water and a soft lint free microfiber towel. Spray a very light amount on the window then buff off to a streak free finish. Remember less is more with windows, you only need a very slight amount of moisture to clean, anything more and you will get streaks and smears.

I hope that was informative, I tried to be as general as possible. Remember everyone has their own methods, these are just some key points I focus on when washing. Please let me know if you have any questions.

-Tim Coats
Owner, Adonis Detail
Tim-- Nicely and succinctly put--Thx--
Being a new Cab owner do you have any quick tips for rag top care?
Old 10-20-2015, 02:52 AM
TimAD
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mgflyfish
Tim-- Nicely and succinctly put--Thx--
Being a new Cab owner do you have any quick tips for rag top care?
Thanks for reading through!

Yes of course, your best course of action is protection from the start. This will make your life ALOT easier down the road. We really like using 303 fabric protectant to add paint like water beading and dirt repellency to the fabric material. Doing this every 6 months or so ensures easier maintenance and better protection against staining.

303 also makes a great fabric top cleaner that can be used prior to application.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:45 PM
mgflyfish
Racer

Originally Posted by TimAD
Thanks for reading through!

Yes of course, your best course of action is protection from the start. This will make your life ALOT easier down the road. We really like using 303 fabric protectant to add paint like water beading and dirt repellency to the fabric material. Doing this every 6 months or so ensures easier maintenance and better protection against staining.

303 also makes a great fabric top cleaner that can be used prior to application.
Thx!!

Quick Reply: Porsche Car Care Tips and Tricks - Adonis Detail, San Diego