Question on Mother's R3 and streaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 01:41 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question on Mother's R3 and streaking

Hey folks,

I have an alpine white 951 that I'm cleaning up from a track day. I had some rubber up on the hood and used Mother's R3 to get it off.

I can tell where the Mother's has been - it leaves a streak where it was sprayed and where it ran. Texture wise, it doesn't feel any different than the surrounding area. Now, this streak is cleaner and whiter than any of the surrounding paint, so I'm wondering if it is the case where it is the surrounding paint that is dirty, and the R3 just cut through.

I've posted a picture (little hard to see in photo). If it not paint damage, how/what do I use to make the rest of the paint look as clean?

Old 09-26-2015, 04:37 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Hard to comment on your particular issue without knowing the care history of the paint and what waxes have been used. I will say that in my experience R3 will strip any wax on the car when used. While it works well on rubber, it is also deadly to the protection assuming you are using a carnuba based product.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:01 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RobT 394
Hard to comment on your particular issue without knowing the care history of the paint and what waxes have been used. I will say that in my experience R3 will strip any wax on the car when used. While it works well on rubber, it is also deadly to the protection assuming you are using a carnuba based product.
Everything turned out just fine - it just showed me how much dirt built up in the paint. Spent a week doing multi-stage detailing and the paint (all of it) now looks terrific.

Quick Reply: Question on Mother's R3 and streaking