Notices

Stone Guards (2013 991)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 09:07 AM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Stone Guards (2013 991)

The clear rear fender stone guards are yellowing again. I had them replaced about 6 months ago. Suggestions how to keep them clear would be appreciated. Also, the edges accumulate polishes, waxes, etc. I use a Q-Tip like swap that Adams sells to clean the edges, but it doesn't do as good of a job as I want. Need help here. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:27 PM
mpower4life
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kind of film did they use? You have to have a steady hand but spraying some quick detailer along the film edge and taking a toothpick will do a better job. Just want to make sure you dont slip off the edge with it.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:54 PM
porscherex
Pro

Originally Posted by mpower4life
what kind of film did they use?

Don't know. It was installed by my Porsche dealer ( they replaced the film under warranty).

You have to have a steady hand but spraying some quick detailer along the film edge and taking a toothpick will do a better job. Just want to make sure you dont slip off the edge with it.
Wooden toothpick is a good suggestion. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:47 AM
AKB991
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm sorry I cannot help you with your question but I thought I might my experience. I've a white C4S 991 and went through the typical clear guards yellowing... local dealership did replace with black guards. I did pay for this btw. Some 3 months later, I have very clear holes in the black guards with my white paint showing through. Dealer will replace with new black guards (I'd pay again) OR reinstall clears (no charge). I love the way the black guards look but in the end, it isn't protecting the paint so...I will go back to clear ( eventual yellow). At least I am protected and will have to work out another plan. I believe the magnetic guards are getting good reviews but it is a different product, not clear, etc. I hope someone can get all of us an answer soon.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:16 PM
porscherex
Pro

Thanks AKB991. Your story is helpful.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:59 AM
SC Detailer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you applying factory guard pieces, or having them installed by an aftermarket film installer? The toothpick is a good way to clean the edges , but make sure that you don't pull the edges up too much. You also need to think about how much you drive the car, it could be road grime and rock chips causing it to change, in which case, it is doing its job.

HUMP
Old 02-01-2016, 10:28 AM
Dan@AQS
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We replace the factory stone guards with XPel Ultimate film quite often on Porsches as the factory film yellows quickly. I also recommend using a spray on wax or sealant on/ around the film to avoid wax build up on edges.

Quick Reply: Stone Guards (2013 991)