Notices

Need help with Opti-coat and honesty.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 01:25 AM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need help with Opti-coat and honesty.

Took my new S4 White Audi into a local detailer I've used before on my 993 with good results. I intended to have it Opti-coated and the detailer is Opti-Coat certified dealer.

The detailer had the car for two days and today he called me, told me it was done.

Went to pick it up and it had watermarks across the hood, roof and trunk. In looking at it, I'd be hard pressed to see any difference in finish, it looked factory. If you asked me, I'd have said it had been badly washed and NOT Opti-coated.

At first he told me i was wrong, but after a couple of minutes of my pointing out watermarks he agreed that it was a poor job. The car has less than 500 miles and I watched the dealer unwrap the car from the truck. It did NOT have water marks when I took delivery two weeks ago. The local detailer says he says he has to remove the opti-coat and remove the water marks and redo it. He has scheduled me for an appointment to drop it again. He was very apologetic.

I'm now very suspicious. Any pointers on how to tell if he actually did the opti-coat or not? I expected the car to look amazing and it looked bad. (I'm not being picky, the entire hood had watermarks as did the roof and trunk lid.

I suspect I should find someone else, but I've used him a number of times before and he has always done excellent work.

thoughts or suggestions
Old 06-20-2015, 01:56 AM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Situations like this are particularly grating when you pay big money for a detail. It has happened to me and considering the personalities, sales tactics and did I mention the money? - I would not go back. But if the guy seemed to find something wrong himself eventually and offer to fix it for free maybe he's not so bad. But if it was an expensive detail I would not let him touch the car or go back again.

I would get a pitcher of water (distilled if you like) and dribble it all over the car and pay attention to how it beads. Maybe do the same to your 993 and compare. Get out a good flash light and examine the paint closely. Also look at examples of opti-coat on youtube videos for comparison.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:14 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This form of measurement is based on the ISO method for measuring the surface energy of polyethylene film -

Is your paint coating still viable? -
http://togwt1980.blogspot.co.uk/2015...ll-viable.html

Last edited by TOGWT; 06-22-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:13 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Mark, the car needs to be fully paint corrected, prior to the OptiCoat Pro. Did he do that? How much is he charging you? If he's charging you $300-400 you're getting what you paid for (and a waste of money because the prep was not done). One a new car, with some stage 1 and even stage 2 paint correction, with OptiCoat Pro, expect to pay about $1,000.....give or take $200 depending on location and individual. This assumes a quality job done by a professional.

Putting OptiCoat Pro on the car and taking it off (a light wipe with the proper towel after the sealant "flashes") is very-very easy. The $costs$ are in the prep time and the actual product. I think the actual product is over $250 now (product plus the warranty).

I suspect on your car the paint correction was not done, or done completely. I also suspect the application of of OptiCoat Pro had "high spots" of did not get completely "flashed" before it was wiped off.

He now needs to completely re-polish those panels, to get the OptiCoat to bite, and then re-apply.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:03 PM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Gentlemen, thank you.

Peter, yes, I'm annoyed. I'm pretty sure he put something on the car.

Lex, the cost was 800 and he runs the "best" shop locally and the only one that is Opti coat certified within 100 miles. He did not do the prep, I guess, and tried to pass it off as done.

I suppose I'll have him redo it, he has not been fully paid.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:45 AM
SC Detailer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is tough to hear. I am with LexVan, Any coating should only be applied over a fully prepped vehicle. and he is also correct on the price.

You should not have seen anything other than crystal clear paint, and when it finally did get wet, it should have been very hard to keep any water or soap on the car.
I hate this, because this is what gives the industry a bad name.

HUMP
Old 06-28-2015, 11:00 AM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

He probably didn't polish or polished well on that panel. As it shouldn't have any water spots, swirl marks on it. As for the coating, just get a bottle of water and pour on top of the hood/trunk, and see how the water beads up and sheet off. The panel should stay 80+% dry when you pour the bottle water on it.

Here's a video that I made on the hydrophobic effect of the Opti-Gloss coating that I did.

Facebook Post
Old 06-28-2015, 10:24 PM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

It goes back tomorrow, so we'll see.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:30 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

another thing to note...you shouldn't really be able to tell if the car has opti-coat on it by looking at it or feeling it. The water tests suggested here are the best way to tell if the product is there and working. Opti-coat looks and feels like bare paint like there's nothing even on the surface. This is why people like to top that product with their favorite beauty product as they feel it makes it look better.

However you shouldn't have been left with the result that you got. Very sorry to hear about that.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:19 AM
David Fermani
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Opti-Coat is almost has a grabby feel to it. It shouldn't feel slick like a wax.

Are you getting a 5 year warranty with this coating job?

If you're interested in getting a 2nd opinion on Opti-Coating your vehicle I strongly suggest contacting Thomas Dekany. He's one of the pioneers of Opti-Coat and prides himself on top level work. He's mobile too.

Dekany Paint Restoration
Estacada Oregon, 97023
Ph : 503.939.4065
Email : autopian1@gmail.com
Web : http://tdekany.com
Old 07-01-2015, 12:53 AM
mpower4life
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark, if you would like to discuss this further I may be of some assistance. My email is Paul@attention2detailnw.com
Old 07-01-2015, 12:57 AM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Should get it back tomorrow. We'll see how it looks. Thank you!
Old 07-01-2015, 01:31 AM
tdekany
Advanced

Thanks David!

Mark do you live in Bend?
Old 07-01-2015, 02:23 AM
tdekany
Advanced

Hopefully the second time the "detailer" will do the right thing. In any case, if you don't receive proper post support, make sure to wash the car with ONR for the next 30 days and be extra careful. Once OC fully cured you can relax just a bit, but still use proper washing and drying methods along with top notch mitts and towels.

How will you know that OC was properly installed?

Here is an example for you, our new car. I will post the initial wash video, unfortunately it didn't upload in HD so the quality sucks, but you should be able to see how water behaves. The next 2 videos are after 8 and 9 months. Just to show you that OC behaves the same way, whether the coating is 3 month or 3 years old. Do wash the car at least every 2 weeks. That is the only thing required from you. Wash and wash often. And make sure that the paint IS dry. I go through 2 drying towels per wash.

First wash after 500 miles

After 8 months and 7 thousand miles

After 9 months and around 8 thousand miles

As you can see the finish behaves the same. Just like the first wash.

And the finish should look superior after OC. Here is an example of the gloss.

PA090013.jpg by Thomas Dekany, on Flickr

And how the exterior should look like after rain.

_2010003 by Thomas Dekany, on Flickr

Hope all this was somewhat helpful.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:32 AM
tdekany
Advanced

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
another thing to note...you shouldn't really be able to tell if the car has opti-coat on it by looking at it or feeling it. The water tests suggested here are the best way to tell if the product is there and working. Opti-coat looks and feels like bare paint like there's nothing even on the surface. This is why people like to top that product with their favorite beauty product as they feel it makes it look better.

However you shouldn't have been left with the result that you got. Very sorry to hear about that.
I have to disagree here. A properly prepped finish alone should make any owner's jaw drop. Let alone having OC on top of that. OC will feel different vs bare paint especially after a few days. I would also vote against topping OC, otherwise how will you get the wonderful benefits the product provides? There is no need. Except for maybe topping it with Gloss Coat or choosing OC pro +

Quick Reply: Need help with Opti-coat and honesty.