Notices

Clear bra or vinyl wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 01:17 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Clear bra or vinyl wrap?

I may be purchasing an 04 cayenne turbo that won't have a garage spot available for up to a year. It will be on DD duty.

As far as battling paint wear from water spots (awful in Florida) and being cost effective, should I go with 3M vinyl wrapping the hood and roof (and maybe more) or get a clear bra kit for the more vulnerable areas? I'll be applying myself and I don't really care if the car looks ugly with the vinyl wrap.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:40 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Do a quality nano coating instead. Certainly will last a year until the garage arrives. Your paint will require a full and proper paint correction before any film/wrap is applied, regardless. The nano coating is only a $200 more, give or take.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 02-25-2015, 11:19 AM
SC Detailer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Proper Coating over Clear film

Originally Posted by LexVan
Do a quality nano coating instead. Certainly will last a year until the garage arrives. Your paint will require a full and proper paint correction before any film/wrap is applied, regardless. The nano coating is only a $200 more, give or take.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
I agree with this, but would go a step further. You state that this will be a daily driver. Take the time now to have the paint correction/perfection performed. Install Xpel clear film to the front, hood and mirrors. Have a quality coating applied over the film (CQuartz Finest, Modesta, 22PLE).

This will be the ultimate protection for the vehicle and even once you make room to garage it some, it will still be protected for years to come with proper maintenance.

Bruce

Carolina Auto Image
Old 02-26-2015, 08:47 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Okay guys thanks a lot. The paint correction is a given- I'm not a pro but have done plenty of corrections in the past. Normally I top with 1Z Glanz but it isn't robust enough to be left outside all the time without lots of upkeep. Hence the interest in a protection film or vinyl. I will post pics of the whole process if I do end up getting the car.

Quick Reply: Clear bra or vinyl wrap?