Low dust and effective Polish?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 09:55 AM
sm
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Smile Low dust and effective Polish?

Hi,

I have a Porter Cable random orbital polisher and would like recommendations for an easy to use and low dust (i.e. less harmful to breathe?) polish. I would like something that's effective and doesn't require all weekend to apply. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Thank you.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:26 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

The Menzerna products would be a good place to start your research.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 01-31-2015, 12:36 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

The majority of the dusting I see are caused by cutting pads that break down while polishing. At least that's my observation with the Griots Orange Pads.

Three other things you can do to reduce polish dust
1. Ocassionally spray quick detail spray on the surface of the pad to reactivate the polish and reduce dusting.
2. Compress the pad on a clean microfiber to remove excess polish from the pad
3. Have an extra pad or two available and switch out while polishing.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:01 PM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there are a few new products out now that do a very good job of "Zero Dusting" compounding and polishing.

Sonax Cut Max - compound
Sonax 04/06 - polish
Rupes UHS Polishing System

These new products have given us the ability to reduce our dust quite a bit and they were all designed for the orbital polisher.

They work well with the Uber Pads as well as the Rupes UHS Pad.

Take a look at them.

Here is an example of the Rupes UHS with the Rupes LHR21 on a Mustang we just did

tel: 201-233-0003
Promo code is rennlist for 10% off anything on the site
Current Sales and Updates
Old 02-02-2015, 08:40 AM
SC Detailer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by detailersdomain
there are a few new products out now that do a very good job of "Zero Dusting" compounding and polishing.

Sonax Cut Max - compound
Sonax 04/06 - polish
Rupes UHS Polishing System

These new products have given us the ability to reduce our dust quite a bit and they were all designed for the orbital polisher.

They work well with the Uber Pads as well as the Rupes UHS Pad.

Take a look at them.

Here is an example of the Rupes UHS with the Rupes LHR21 on a Mustang we just did

This ^^^^

Bruce
Carolina Auto Image
Old 02-02-2015, 09:46 AM
sm
Drifting

Thanks all.

Since I have a mid-90s 968, I would think it doesn't have the "ultra hard clearcoat" that the Rupes UHS is designed for? That's why I'm leaning towards the Sonax 04/06 Polish. What final protectant/seal product would you all recommend that goes well with the 04/06, again keeping ease of use and low dust in mind?

I'll keep Marine Blue's tips in mind. Can pads be cleaned and re-used over and over?

Appreciate it.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:25 PM
SC Detailer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sm
Thanks all.

Since I have a mid-90s 968, I would think it doesn't have the "ultra hard clearcoat" that the Rupes UHS is designed for? That's why I'm leaning towards the Sonax 04/06 Polish. What final protectant/seal product would you all recommend that goes well with the 04/06, again keeping ease of use and low dust in mind?

I'll keep Marine Blue's tips in mind. Can pads be cleaned and re-used over and over?

Appreciate it.
SM,
If you want to stick with Sonax products, Phil will back up Polymer Netshield! Unbelievable product. Very hydrophobic and can be put on the wheels as well.

Bruce

Carolina Auto Image
Old 02-09-2015, 08:38 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If you don't have a lot of defects to correct, Einszett Paint Polish on a Megs white pad is a great mild polish for oxidation and light swirl, with very low dust .
Old 08-12-2015, 08:53 PM
sm
Drifting

So I had a chance to polish the hood of a 2000 M5 today. I used Sonax 4/6 and my Porter Cable DA polisher. The hood is much better, but I still see light scratches (not sure what the correct term is).

Can you recommend something that would be more aggressive to rid the light scratches AND that can be applied with the PC DA unit? Thanks!

P.S. I did not use the 3M Rubbing Compound. Should I try it?

Old 08-12-2015, 11:46 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rubbing compound is extremely aggressive and I wouldn't mess with it unless you're polishing a car that has tons of paint to work with and needs lots of polishing. You could apply the rubbing compound by hand but you'll need to use a finishing polish to remove the haze created by the rubbing comopound.

The remaining scratches look fairly light and Meguiars 205 with a finishing pad at speed setting 6 should remove them. You shouldn't need anything else and the finish will look perfect when done.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:29 AM
sm
Drifting

Thanks on the tip.

If I wanted to stay with a low dusting product and the Sonax brand (since I already started with their 5/4 product), would you recommend Sonax 5/4? It seems to have more cut based on the product description.

And is an Orange pad the correct one to use in this instance?
Old 08-13-2015, 11:25 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sm
Thanks on the tip.

If I wanted to stay with a low dusting product and the Sonax brand (since I already started with their 5/4 product), would you recommend Sonax 5/4? It seems to have more cut based on the product description.

And is an Orange pad the correct one to use in this instance?
Unfortunately I don't have experience with Sonax and can't offer advice on it.

I did find the following recommendation on Autogeek: Tech Tip: From our testing we’ve found Sonax Profiline Fine Abrasive Paste 5/4 to perform best with a Lake Country Orange Light Cutting Pad on a dual action or rotary polisher. This combination provides an ample amount of cut with an almost wax-ready finish. For best results, follow with Sonax Profiline Nano Polish 3/6 with a Lake Country White Polishing Pad. This will further refine the surface, creating maximum gloss before you apply your wax or paint sealant.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:52 PM
sm
Drifting

I used SONAX 5/4 and it definitely cleaned up some more of the fine scratches, but there's still some left. I might try the SONAX Cut Max per Phil's original recommendation (which I overlooked!), but my arms are still vibrating from the Porter Cable so it'll have to wait.

What's this "Micro Fiber Pad" that I keep hearing about? I used some generic orange pads I had laying around and wonder if that reduced some of the benefits of the abrasives I was using?

Finally, what GLAZE goes well with the SONAX products I used? Would you put the Glaze on before sealant? I'm going to use Optimum sealant since I have a bottle of that in the bag.

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2015, 10:09 PM
Mr. Sparkle
Former Vendor

At the shop I often use Shine Supply "Classic Cut". Its a moderate compound, that finishes down really well depending on the paint and technique.

http://shinesupply.com/collections/c...ts/classic-cut

Pretty certain it does NOT contain crystalline silica, which a lot of polishes on the market do (crystalline silica has been linked to cancer)

I'm certain their "flat top" compound is free of that, but may be too aggressive for the task at hand.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:13 PM
Mr. Sparkle
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by sm
I used SONAX 5/4 and it definitely cleaned up some more of the fine scratches, but there's still some left. I might try the SONAX Cut Max per Phil's original recommendation (which I overlooked!), but my arms are still vibrating from the Porter Cable so it'll have to wait.

What's this "Micro Fiber Pad" that I keep hearing about? I used some generic orange pads I had laying around and wonder if that reduced some of the benefits of the abrasives I was using?

Finally, what GLAZE goes well with the SONAX products I used? Would you put the Glaze on before sealant? I'm going to use Optimum sealant since I have a bottle of that in the bag.

Thanks!

orange pads are typically cutting pads. They will remove defects, and finish down decent. However they are not as aggressive as microfiber cutting pads.

Many different ones on the market but the meguiars microfiber pads are very popular. Also the Griots line has some nice ones as well

Quick Reply: Low dust and effective Polish?