Notices

Thoughts on Opti-Coat or Opti-Seal for a White 964

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 09:42 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on Opti-Coat or Opti-Seal for a White 964

I have a white '90 964 that I am thinking about using Opti-Coat or Opti-Seal on.

Wondering what peoples thoughts are on a sealant like this on a white car of this vintage?

What product do you guys like to polish the car prior to applying either of these products?

I was going to try to do it myself and understand the Opti-Seal is a bit easier to apply, so was leaning towards this knowing it may only last a few months.

I drive the car year round (in the snow) and am looking for some good paint protection and something that will make it easier to wash in the winter.
Thanks in advance!
Old 10-02-2014, 09:45 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Do you have a clear coat? I wonder how a product like OptiCoat would work on a car without a clear coat??

I have it. And love it.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:02 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

From what I undersand it's a single stage paint with no clear coat.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:48 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 565 Likes on 382 Posts

I have been using OptiSeal for several years on my 993 and daily drivers. Couldn't be any easier to apply. I often layer a coat of wax over it to give depth.

OptiCoat is more of a Protectant than a Sealant. I haven't tried it yet but try it on my DD.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:49 PM
PinnacleAutoCT
5th Gear

As others have said, Optiseal is probably one of the easiest to use sealants available, while also providing great gloss and protection. There also is no issue with using it on single stage paint. If you have some light swirls and oxidation and have a DA polisher, HD polish or Meguiar's M205 are both very easy to use and provide a great shine while removing light to moderate defects. I would stick to foam pads (Lake Country is quality) for oxidation removal; microfiber pads seem to gum up too quickly and lose their effectiveness.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:12 PM
Starbuckslova1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1990 99% has clear coat
And a good one since mid 80s 95% of cars

Early 90s they got better
Except gm cars and ford much clear coat failure from the paint manufactor

Give me the color code and i can tell you

If the paint is origional

Unless its been repainted

You can test this way
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...oat-paint.html
Old 11-04-2014, 08:42 AM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the advice guys!
I will find the paint code and post it here.

I tried to polish a bit with Meguiars 205 - but by hand - leaves a bit of residue (it was getting a little cold out) - will likely pick up a DA this winter to do it properly.
Used Optiseal and the Opti wax - both went on very easy, hardly used any of it to cover the car - so far seems to be a great product.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:27 AM
snowcar_C4S
Advanced

Paint Preparation is the key component prior to applying OptiCoat. Remember, OptiCoat is a permanent sealer. It's best to clean the paint thoroughly and perform a machine polish and full paint correction prior to applying OptiCoat. I have had several cars corrected and then coated with OptiCoat with incredible results. I also have my wheels machine polished poor to OptiCoat application, this reduces cleaning time for wheels radically. There are two other products I would recommend that you consider - Quartz and Modesta. My 2014 C4S was corrected and coated with Modesta, and while a white car hardly pops, mine does. For best results seek out a professional in your area, being that your car is a 1990 model, you may need extensive pant correction. My 2014 required 9 hours of correction prior to Modesta application.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:03 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Unless you're having an Optimum recognized pro apply your Opti-Coat "Pro" you can't get it on your vehicle.

Now you can buy on-line Optimum Gloss-Coat which is a 2 year coating very similar to Opti-Coat Pro but not as durable but is easier to apply and has great gloss characteristics.

To determine if you have a clear coat, which you most likely do, is when you polish your paint are you pulling color on to your pad or towel? If so then you have single stage paint. If not it's clear.

So after you get your paint clean and polished I would apply Gloss Coat. Then use Opti-Seal and or Optimum Spray Wax for maintaining. Also get the Optimum No Rinse for your washing needs. It's much easier and safer than regular soap and water.

Anthony
Old 01-14-2015, 08:52 AM
SC Detailer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you stuck on Opti-Coat or Opti-Seal? Reason I ask, is that there are other very nice coating options, and even wax options now that will last much longer than older waxes.
Opti-Seal is an easy product to use and it can be applied to just about any surface of the car. I typically will not put it on windows, but you can add it to the plastic pieces.
Have you looked into CQuartz or Modesta? What about Sonax Polymer Netshield? Another product that can be put on just about every substrate on a vehicle.
As for wax, I stick with Swissvax, and if you want some high durability we can install Swissvax Endurance.

Lots of options. As others have stated, the protection is only as good as the preparation. Making sure the paint is cleaned and decontaminated and then polished to a brilliant finish.

Ill try to post the pics of a new Cayman that we completed a Swissvax New Car Prep on.

Bruce

Carolina Auto Image
Old 01-19-2015, 12:03 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Thanks!
I'm not stuck on Opti-coat.
I applied the optiseal before the winter - certainly makes cleaning it easier.
I'll look into the CQuartz and Modesta.
Next up though, I will have to get a proper polisher (all I have is the cheap Simoniz polisher/sander that I use on the hull of my old ski bota).
Old 01-20-2015, 08:36 AM
SC Detailer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dr Mitch
Thanks!
I'm not stuck on Opti-coat.
I applied the optiseal before the winter - certainly makes cleaning it easier.
I'll look into the CQuartz and Modesta.
Next up though, I will have to get a proper polisher (all I have is the cheap Simoniz polisher/sander that I use on the hull of my old ski bota).
Griots Garage makes a really good polisher.

Bruce

Carolina Auto Image
Old 01-24-2015, 10:37 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Just picked up a bunch of detailing supplies and equipment from a fellow moving overseas.
The whole lot included a new in box Porter Cable 7424xp random orb polisher, Haussmann 7" polisher, numerous pads for both, 3-4L jugs of Lexol conditioner, macguiars 205, cleaners, tire care etc.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:51 AM
SC Detailer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dr Mitch
Just picked up a bunch of detailing supplies and equipment from a fellow moving overseas.
The whole lot included a new in box Porter Cable 7424xp random orb polisher, Haussmann 7" polisher, numerous pads for both, 3-4L jugs of Lexol conditioner, macguiars 205, cleaners, tire care etc.
Sounds like a great score!

Bruce

Carolina Auto Image

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Opti-Coat or Opti-Seal for a White 964