Notices

1989 Porsche 911 Speedster Semi-Restorative Detail - Precision Detail Group

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014 | 02:49 PM
NickmPDG
4th Gear

Default 1989 Porsche 911 Speedster Semi-Restorative Detail - Precision Detail Group

My client was looking to have this vehicle brought back to life so that it could be stored and possibly sold sometime down the road. After assessing the vehicle, we decided to go with a semi-restorative detail. Because the vehicle was going to be stored and also didn't seem to have any evidence of being driven we agreed that I would mainly focus on paint correction, rejuvenating the leather, cleaning dark areas in the carpet and all the nooks and crannies I could get to. Down the road, this will make the pre-sale prep detail much less time consuming.

Enjoy the pictures...

Here you can see swirls in the bumper as well as an area where an inexperienced detailer burned through the paint (white spot on the left side of the picture along the edge of the bumper)

Fiberglass convertible top cover had the most severe defects

Reflection results after the first test spot

50/50

50/50

Rear engine deck lid finished

Old 08-21-2014 | 04:41 PM
Einsteiger
Racer

Nice work!!
Old 08-22-2014 | 04:16 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

good job. How did you do the restoration of the black plastic surrounding the lock in the first pic? it looks like you filled the damage?
Old 08-22-2014 | 11:09 AM
NickmPDG
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Einsteiger
Nice work!!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
good job. How did you do the restoration of the black plastic surrounding the lock in the first pic? it looks like you filled the damage?
That was actually lubrication/grease and other oils that had been pulled from inside the lock cylinder and tracked out onto the outside of the lock and door handle. It was so caked on though that it seemed like melted plastic/rubber. I used an all purpose cleaner as well as diluted goo-gone, pointed q-tips and thin microfiber towels that I could press into the tight areas. Once the gunk was removed there was a slight difference in darkness between the rest of the handle and the area where the gunk was (you can kind of see it in the image), so before I finished I went back and decided to use a plastic/rubber restorer on the handles.

Quick Reply: 1989 Porsche 911 Speedster Semi-Restorative Detail - Precision Detail Group