Notices

New car prep - coatings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 08:09 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,117 Likes on 672 Posts
Default New car prep - coatings?

I just ordered a C4S due in August. I always did my own paint care (ending with Zaino on my 981), but learned of Esoteric Detailing in Columbus from this site. I know I can't compete with their skill level and no longer want to try. Todd's reputation seems stellar across the board and I will probably drive my car from the dealer directly to him for a new car prep (in lieu of LED lights), since he's less than 90 minutes from us. It seems he's the sole importer of 22PLE (?) but it's available at multiple sites now. I'm trying to decide which coating (Opticoat, CQuart, 22PLE or others?) will offer the best overall protection and durability. I don't expect it to last forever, but a year or two without a major redo would be nice. The plans at this point include a full front clear bra as well, but I'm open to suggestions. I also plan to get a set of snow tires/wheels and drive the car in all but the worst weather. Maybe.
I spent a couple hours searching around trying to gather information from across the net, but I thought I would throw it out here for some up-to-date opinions from the Pros/serious amateurs here.
Thanks...
Old 05-29-2014, 10:14 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Opti-coat is still probably the staple in this segment however I've used both cquarts finest and 22 PLE and prefer both of them over opticoat. Neither has the longevity of opticoat but they don't lag that far behind either. For me on my personal daily driver (test bed) I got a solid 2 years out of opticoat before it needed refreshed. I'm at over 12 months on my wife's car with 22PLE and it's still going strong but starting to fade. my car sits outside 24/7 in the elements so the results will absolutely last longer assuming your car is garaged. We coated my brothers daily driver with 22PLE last fall and the post-winter cleanup was noticeably easier with the coating on the car.

If you want to do the coating yourself and are ok with doing it every 12-16 months my personal suggestion is 22PLE. I think it has a slightly better look (if you can really tell a difference), is easier to apply and work with just make sure you have plenty of clean microfiber towels for buffing 22PLE off of the paint as it will start to smear around on the surface if you don't have a clean towel. If you're not a detailer you can't get your hands on the cQuartz finest and that's the one to have out of their lineup if you ask me.

Finally if you don't want to do the work yourself Todd and his guys will make sure your car is in the best hands possible. I'd suggest you ask the dealer to NOT prep your car...not even let them take the plastic off of it as the less they touch it the better. One of the best things about the coatings is doing the wheels. Get the wheels off and do both inside and outside and the ease of cleanup is well worth the initial effort.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:22 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Opti-coat is still probably the staple in this segment however I've used both cquarts finest and 22 PLE and prefer both of them over opticoat. Neither has the longevity of opticoat but they don't lag that far behind either. For me on my personal daily driver (test bed) I got a solid 2 years out of opticoat before it needed refreshed. I'm at over 12 months on my wife's car with 22PLE and it's still going strong but starting to fade. my car sits outside 24/7 in the elements so the results will absolutely last longer assuming your car is garaged. We coated my brothers daily driver with 22PLE last fall and the post-winter cleanup was noticeably easier with the coating on the car.

If you want to do the coating yourself and are ok with doing it every 12-16 months my personal suggestion is 22PLE. I think it has a slightly better look (if you can really tell a difference), is easier to apply and work with just make sure you have plenty of clean microfiber towels for buffing 22PLE off of the paint as it will start to smear around on the surface if you don't have a clean towel. If you're not a detailer you can't get your hands on the cQuartz finest and that's the one to have out of their lineup if you ask me.

Finally if you don't want to do the work yourself Todd and his guys will make sure your car is in the best hands possible. I'd suggest you ask the dealer to NOT prep your car...not even let them take the plastic off of it as the less they touch it the better. One of the best things about the coatings is doing the wheels. Get the wheels off and do both inside and outside and the ease of cleanup is well worth the initial effort.
Thanks for the response! Yes, the car will be garaged and I'm planning on having Esoteric do a full new car prep, which does include the wheels. The order just locked yesterday, so it's probably not going to get here until sometime in August.
I'll let the dealer know not to prep it - probably a bit of an unusual request for them I would imagine. I think I'll have them remove the plastic to check for any obvious damage before accepting the car though (there's a thread in 991 forum I think about a guy getting a car that was damaged and repaired with Bondo before delivery).
I'll probably end up buying whatever Todd recommends if I can get two seasons out of it before a touch up.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:07 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I talked with my dealer about a similar situation when I ordered the Spyder. The sales guy and I talked and he recommended letting them handle the cosmoline removal and taking the wrappings off. Once that was done the car wasn't to be touched so no vacuuming or touching the paint. They followed my request and when I received the car I could see the remaining adhesive on the edges of where the paint cover sat. I had to buff this out with a mild polish (Meguiars 205). The paint was and still remains perfect. Shortly after taking delivery I brought the car to my selected clear bra guy and had it protected.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:54 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,411 Likes on 2,516 Posts

It's all about the prep. Prior to the final coat of wax and/or sealant.

Within weeks of taking delivery, I had my car fully paint corrected, and OptiCoated. Most of the panels were single stage corrected. Some (few) were 2 stage corrected, since the detailer and I wanted them as near perfect as possible. Final bill was $1K. Car looks stellar. Washed it one month later, and the dirt and bug guts just fell off the car. Added bonus.

My detailer said with proper care & feeding the OptiCoat Pro finish will last about 2 years. He said the car, over it's lifetime could easily have 20-30 of these processes (correction and coating) since the paint is thick enough and the correction process is minimal. Granted, I don't scratch the hell out of the car doing my washings and occasional carnauba treatment.

OptiCoat Pro is not the same product as OptiCoat 2.0. Detailers can not sell or give away OptiCoat Pro. They can only sell the 2.0 product.

Don't let your dealership remove the glue after removing the protective wrappings. This is how the cars get micro-maring and scratches. The dealerships use the wrong solvents, are in a hurry, and rub too hard to remove the glue residue. This will make the paint correction easier for your detailer, and save you some $$$.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:00 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Good suggestions. I can't imagine any dealer minding LESS work prior to delivery, so it should workout fine.
Thanks, guys!
Old 05-30-2014, 08:56 AM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would agree with Audion19's - Opti Coat would still be a great choice in durability, either coating will do the job, make sure you get Todd to pull off the wheels and coat them as well.

There is a big benefit with the wheels getting coated - ease of cleaning!

Make sure you put in the sales order and remind remind remind everyone you do not want any of the wrappers off the car at delivery. Too many times my customers get told all delivery film will be on the car and they end up doing a full new car prep on it.

Take a look
2015 STI -New Car Prep - Opti Coat
tel: 201-233-0003
Promo code is rennlist for 10% off anything on the site
Current Sales and Updates
Old 05-30-2014, 02:52 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detailersdomain
I would agree with Audion19's - Opti Coat would still be a great choice in durability, either coating will do the job, make sure you get Todd to pull off the wheels and coat them as well.

There is a big benefit with the wheels getting coated - ease of cleaning!

Make sure you put in the sales order and remind remind remind everyone you do not want any of the wrappers off the car at delivery. Too many times my customers get told all delivery film will be on the car and they end up doing a full new car prep on it.

Take a look
2015 STI -New Car Prep - Opti Coat
I looked. Wow! Very nice.

Quick Reply: New car prep - coatings?