Notices

Opti Coat and Bug Splatters

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 03:42 PM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Opti Coat and Bug Splatters

I recently had my '14 Cayman S treated with Opti Coat. Picked up quite a few bug splatters last weekend and despite the weather (it's raining here), I'd use insect remover and get the splatters off prior to washing the car tomorrow when the weather is nicer.

After spraying and EASILY removing the first few splatters, I thought, hmm, this is weird. Usually there's a bit more effort required. Then I decided to see how easily the splatters would come off without the insect remover. Remember the car is wet. With just a soft towel and almost no pressure, the splatters came off with great ease. I have to conclude this is the Opti Coat at work!

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this because it is rare in my detailing efforts that I am positively surprised.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:12 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I wonder if you can put opti coat on clear bra.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:22 PM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Optimum Polymer Technologies Opti-Coat 2.0 is a professional grade paint coating that forms a permanent shield on your car’s finish. It is not a wax or paint sealant, both of which are sacrificial in nature and degrade over time, but is a glossy, clear coating that uses advanced resin technology to protect PPF, paint, wheels, plastic trim, metal surface, and head lights.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:25 PM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[Remember the car is wet. With just a soft towel and almost no pressure, the splatters came off with great ease. I have to conclude this is the Opti Coat at work!]

Lotus Effect (Nelumbo nucifera)

[: refers to the very high water repellence (super hydrophobicity) exhibited by the leaves of the lotus flower. Dirt particles are picked up by water droplets due to a complex micro and Nanoscopic architecture of the surface, which enables minimization of adhesion [1]

Wilhelm Barthlott of the University of Bonn, Germany, discovered and developed the Lotus effect
Old 10-19-2013, 06:21 PM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TOGWT
[Remember the car is wet. With just a soft towel and almost no pressure, the splatters came off with great ease. I have to conclude this is the Opti Coat at work!]

Lotus Effect (Nelumbo nucifera)

[: refers to the very high water repellence (super hydrophobicity) exhibited by the leaves of the lotus flower. Dirt particles are picked up by water droplets due to a complex micro and Nanoscopic architecture of the surface, which enables minimization of adhesion [1]

Wilhelm Barthlott of the University of Bonn, Germany, discovered and developed the Lotus effect

The splatters occurred a week ago when the car was dry and actually had a week to "cure" before I removed them today.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:53 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 552 Likes on 375 Posts

Opti-Seal may offer the same effect on clear bra
Old 10-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I may give it a shot this winter. The bugs in KKC are huge (grasshoppers) and leave a mess on the bumper. Would be nice if they came off with minimal effort.

Quick Reply: Opti Coat and Bug Splatters